Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the context of his FIAT teammates Alen, Salonen, Lampinen and Makinen at the 1977 Canadian Rally, Rohrl wrote, "On the first day, we went to Fiat Canada to pick up our cars for practice. A bus took us there. There were five brand new 131 Familiare station wagons. Mine had clocked up just twenty-seven kilometres. We drove and came to the first traffic lights after 400 metres. We waited. Makinen and Alen in the first row... Green! The tyres squealed, the cars fishtailed, and off they went in a full racing start! I was simply aghast. "Did you see that Geistdorfer? These are brand new cars!" Five hundred metres further down the road, the four cars stopped. "That's it," I thought. "Now you have paid the penalty for mistreating a new car." Makinen jumped out of his seat, dragged up the bonnet. I asked shyly, "What's up?" "The car's got a rev limiter!" said Makinen, "We need to get rid of it immediately!" Somehow the whole life of these guys was just flat out."

Walter Rohrl Diary should be in your rally library. Great stuff!

Halley ...
Owner/Driver ProRally #86 - world's first New Beetle Rally Car
RealAutoSport, LLC
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
38 Posts
What more needs to be said? And in WAGONS, fer gossake!

Jeremy Oreskovich

"Racing is life...
All else is just waiting."
-Steve McQueen

"Our Car is F***ed"
-Team Skoda co-driver Tina Turner

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Where did you buy the book? I've looked around and can't
>find it.
>
>Brian

It's offered from the same group that publishes the McKlein calendar. I don't have the contact info handy.

Adrian

·
Registered
151 Posts
>Alen in the first row... Green! The tyres squealed, the
>cars fishtailed, and off they went in a full racing start!

Just an "Italian tune-up".
;)

·
R2- 50...WAIT! Make a left!
258 Posts
Eh? "Geistdorfer"? Translation, please...

Geistdorfer = ghost town, no?

"Did you see that ghost town?"

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
RE: Eh?

This captures Rohrl's mechanical sympathy very well. And having grown up with british cars I was well trained to break them in, get them up to temperature before pressing on, and avoid sudden shocks especially cold - all the same things I now do with my rally car.

That said, some cars are fungible, disposable, and are designed to be so. I don't think anyone should ever buy a used rental (to say nothing of a factory Fiat recce car!) and I hate to admit that I have joined the league of people who drive them with this in mind.

Although for the Charlevoix recce I turned down a delivery-km Grand Cherokee and took a Ford Escape as I couldn't be the Jeep's first and put her through that...

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>In the context of his FIAT teammates Alen, Salonen, Lampinen
>and Makinen at the 1977 Canadian Rally, Rohrl wrote,

Mike:

Look at those five names - and they were all in the same team! Possibly the strongest team ever entered by a manufacturer on a WRC event? When you mixed in the factory Fords, Datsuns, TR7s, etc., it was a great event for spectating.

Doug Woods

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
>Mike:
>
>Look at those five names - and they were all in the same
>team! Possibly the strongest team ever entered by a
>manufacturer on a WRC event? When you mixed in the factory
>Fords, Datsuns, TR7s, etc., it was a great event for
>spectating.
>
>Doug Woods

Amen Brother Woods! Even before my first rally (77 Sunriser) I had a thing for Criterium ... is it any wonder??

Halley ...
Owner/Driver ProRally #86 - world's first New Beetle Rally Car
RealAutoSport, LLC
http://www.realautosport.com

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
RE: Eh? "Geistdorfer"? Translation, please...

>Geistdorfer = ghost town, no?

Close. the final 'er' is used indicating that the noun comes from the place in question:
A Frankfurter can be a person from Frankfurt, or a weeenie from Frankfurt
A Wiener can be a person from Wien, Österreich (Vienna is the French name, Austria is the latin) or a weenie from there, (or a beer or a pastry etc)

The insane John F. Kennedy in his famous 1962? speech showing solidarity with the citizens of the Western part of Berlin after "der maurer" went up said "Ich bin ein Berliner!" ( I am a berlin weenie!) and thousands snickered.

Geist is ghost and dorf a hamlet (see old english 'thorpe' and swedish 'torp')

So loosely geistdorf could be ghost-town, but geistdorfer, one coming from Geistdorf
>
>"Did you see that ghost town?"

The irony of a German named Geistdorfer is one thing but thinking of their history during the 30 Years War when there were so many German towns made into 'werkliche geistdorf' thanks to the zeal of the Christian armies trying their best to bring about what we are now calling 'regime change' is just too much.
It was there and then the quote just prior to a town being wiped out and made into a ghost town of "Kill them all, God will recognise his own" come from.

Wonder what he's up to now?

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

1 - 11 of 11 Posts