Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
11:00 AM EST and just checked out the STPR entry list and see that "Robby Unser" (navvie Ed Wahl) is listed in a Grp2 Mazda ? Any news scoops or insider info any of you can provide to wet our appetites even more ? :9 And good to see Seamus Burke comin' to the PA mountains to play :) Thanks ahead of time to those feeding my hunger !

Barry Wargula

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
'86 Pikes Peak Hillclimb(MM will remember this one). Robby(19 yr. old) was pitted next to us. He had broken his leg not long before. I still remember him hobbling over to his car on crutches, leg in a cast, being helped into the car, and taking off up the The Hill. He was, even at that tender age, a perfect gentleman who demonstrated considerable guts & determination. If he's is at STPR, he will be a classy addition to the field.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The entry list does not lie, I'll just say that.

Ask the _New Owners_ of RallySportOnline for more info.
I've not been briefed on what's OK to say. *shrug*

Ed Wahl

P.S. To everyone who's emailed me about this: I cannot read your
emails. The forum will not let me change the address and
the companys anti-spam gateway is stripping the html code being
sent to me. Result is an empty email. sorry but I'm not trying to ignore you all. (got about 11 emails on this so far)

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>'86 Pikes Peak Hillclimb(MM will remember this one).

How could I forget any part of the year that was the pinnacle of my Crew Chief/car builder days? I worked over the Charger that Crawford used on the hill in 85 and it went half-a-minute faster in 86 helping him claim his fifth straight title. Despite an early-season rollover and thanks to excellent teamwork CMC Motorsports

http://www.realautosport.com/pics/CMC/cmcms1.jpg

claimed a hard-fought Production ProRally Championship that was not decided until the final stage of the last rally in the series.

Ohhh, were we talking about Robby Unser? Yeah, I like the guy well enough but I have serious reservations about him making it as a rally car driver.

Halley ...
http://www.realautosport.com

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
thanks to excellent teamwork CMC Motorsports
>claimed a hard-fought Production ProRally Championship that
>was not decided until the final stage of the last rally in
>the series.

Mike:

Looks to me like the CMC service crew must have had more driving talent that year than most of the competitors in the series.

Jim Doidge was an excellent driver. He finished fifth overall in the 1972 POR. And I hear that Halley fellow sometimes knows what he is doing behind the wheel.

Doug Wooods

·
3,979 Posts
>Mike:
>
>Jim Doidge was an excellent driver. He finished fifth
>overall in the 1972 POR.
>
>Doug Wooods

Jim & BarB live here in Tulsa, believe it or not. I hadn't met Jim before I went to work for JC but during my time with CMC he was a crewman, mechanic's helper, codriver and available to do just about anything the team needed. The real definition of good people!

Halley ...

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Even though now I realized he isn't the greatest rally driver, I'm still excited to be able to meet him at STPR. (Mr. Wahl, you'll help right? ;)) Anyway, when I was 2-3 years old I'd watch the 88 Pikes Peak Hillclimb special that was focused on Ari Vatanen and Robby Unser in the Peugots. That tape was the one that made me love rallying, and Pikes Peak for that matter. Of course, since I watched it everyday, I idlized both of them, so I'm excited.

Thanks,
Alex

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts
>P.S. To everyone who's emailed me about this: I cannot read
>your
>emails. The forum will not let me change the address and
>the companys anti-spam gateway is stripping the html code
>being
>sent to me. Result is an empty email. sorry but I'm not
>trying to ignore you all. (got about 11 emails on this so
>far)

Ed,

You can change your email. "User Menu" -> "Edit account information"

Jim

·
3,979 Posts
>
>>And I hear that Halley fellow
>>sometimes knows what he is doing behind the wheel.
>>
>>Doug Wooods
>
>"...sometimes..." being the operative word...
>
>
>http://www.realautosport.com/pics/Peug504/colcreek.jpg
>
>
>I also hear sometimes that Doug Woods knows how to spell his
>own name... :7

I'm not too proud to admit THAT was a 100% driver-error incident. I thought I could apex a downhill easy right a tad early and just dribble the left-side tires into the weeds on exit. On execution of said plan I found out that those weeds were growing out of the creekbed! Oh well, such is life falling off the dark, dirty, fast lane!

Halley ...

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Yep, I've seen the Climb Dance video, and much of that footage is on the video I'd watch everyday for a few years (and have temper tantrums if I didn't) It was a Hidden Heros episode from TNN. Pretty cool. I remember when Vatanen goes up for his run, they go, "Vatanen is already 20 seconds (or something amazing like that) from the record and is running like he's never run before.."(vroom vroom of the Peugot followed by some sweet clips going up the mountain that went with the music, still gives me goosebumps while wathcing it :))

Thanks,
Alex

1 - 20 of 24 Posts