Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Robby threw down the gauntlet in the 2005 Dakar rally, winning the opening stage in his factory VW entry. First stage win ever on 4 wheels by an American. For more info, go to the official web site: http://www.dakar.com/2005/us/index.html Lets hope he does not destroy the car early on.

Anyone know if Dakar is going to be on U.S. TV this year? I don't see it on the Speed Channel schedule.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Give the guy some credit. Ever see the photo of him jumping the dunes at Glamis in his trophy truck? He was getting way bigger air than anyone on a moto. He could have driven for Ford in the WRC a few years back but turned it down to make more money in Nascar. He's the real deal. But, you're probably right-lack of attrition will probably get the best of him. Happy new year!

·
Registered
907 Posts
give the guy some credit. It is a long race, but I have seen him drive in person and I bet he would hold is own in a rally car against all of us, probably better than Travis has done.

-gp

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
Getting Robby in a car would be a great way for a team or shop to raise its image a bit (although I think we are a couple years away from being ready for that circus).....

There are a couple guys in NASCRUD that could probably lay down some serious stage times. Robby Gordon and Jimmi Johnson being the two that come to mind (both got big starts on dirt and did very well in the Baja).

Jimmi Johnson did mention an interest in WRC when prepping for the ROC, heck even wrc.com reported his desires to do it....

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just hope he does not drive the VW like he does his Baja Trophy Truck - WFO over everything in his path. And he better not jump the dunes like he does out at Glamis. He has the talent, but he needs to know how to save the car for almost 3000 miles of special stages over 17 days.

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
How about he first learn how to last 400 miles on a nice smooth NASCAR track. When he was young, Robby had the potential to drive anything successfully. Instead, he chose to become the next Jimmy Spencer. He has become a caricature of a race car driver. He is fast and spectacular (and always has been), but he no longer knows how to win.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
>give the guy some credit. It is a long race, but I have seen
>him drive in person and I bet he would hold is own in a rally
>car against all of us, probably better than Travis has done.
>
>-gp

True. In 1999 John Menard had Robby run one of John's old Toyota FX-16's at an ice racing event in Lindstrom, MN. I believe this was Robby's first time in a front-drive car (at least in slippy conditions). On one lap early in the day he put the car off the front straight in a big way, but didn't roll it. Later in the day he was clearly the fastest car through that particular corner. He's a damn fast learner. I believe that I'm the only person to have photos of both Robby and Tony Stewrat racing cars on the ice. I just can't find them right now when I need them.

Jerry Winker

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
>Considering that Gordon seems to have just won the 123km
>stage 4 today and retaken the overall lead from McRae, I'd say
>he's doing OK.
>
>Tim

I'd certainly be happy to see him do well. He showed much promise when younger, then seemed to lose sight of the goal.

·
Registered
232 Posts
OLN May have listened!

Just got this off the Speed Channel bulletin board, I have no independent confirmation.

OLN will be doing a summary of the Paris-Dakar on Tuesday night, January 4th at 9:30 PM.

I suspect that this is a result of the emails to OLN that some of us sent in. Plus we should all give thanks to Robby Gordon for getting off to a good start and drawing more attention to this event.

Steve McKelvie

As I check the listing on OLN, I'm becoming less convinced that the info I got from the Speed Channel bulletin board is correct.

Steve

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
>>Tony Stewrat
>
>Not a big Tony Stewart fan?

Oops! That was a pretty funny mistake though. :p

I met Tony at an autograph signing at a Menard's store here in MN back in late 1995. Actually, he was a pretty cool dude. About 20 people showed up as there was a Packers and Vikings game on TV that particular night and Tony and Robbie Buhl had a handful of fans back then for the signing.

Jerry

·
Registered
145 Posts
Robbie !Robbie ! Robbie! Robbie! Robbie!

This is going to be GGOOODD!! And American up front .. This can't happen.

Robbie can last to the end of the Baja 1000 ? But can last here? What ever! McRae's tore up more cars then Robbie ever thought of. LOL

Robbie and McRae are BOTH brats! AND!

I would think Robbie would be one of the better "all around" driver in the world right now.

But its a long race .. Have to hold out and see?

Have Fun

David

Hazardous Toys inc

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Colin! Colin! Colin! Colin!

OK - I like Gordon. But I LOOOOVE McRae.

AND HE'S BACK IN THE LEAD AFTER STAGE 5! Looks like he ramped it up.

Backstories: Nissans are way faster this year. Vatanen said that this year's car has nothing to do with last year's car.

Mitsubishi is finally getting serious competiton from Nissan and VW

And poor old Schlesser! He must feel about "his" event the way that some US rallyists felt when the manufacturer teams came to the SCCA championship. His buggies suddenly look very old.

You do have to admire how fast both McRae and Gordon have picked up what is a very specialized skill in desert racing. Yes I know Gordon's done it before. But I can tell you from first hand experience that navigating in North Africa and dealing with all the sand and scrub and surface changes is not child's play. I suspect that McRae's feeling for the Safari Rally plays a part.

ACP

·
Registered
145 Posts
RE: Colin! Colin! Colin! Colin!

I to come form a SCORE Desert racing .. Cars and bikes

In the desert ,,, Some times its not the best place to be out front! Let some one else find the "hazards" for you ... And just keep there dust in sight.

How did Kirt LaDuke who ran the Jeeps in the Dakar put it . Last time I saw him at the strip club in LasVegas ..LOL

"You just run out of 'luck' in the sands of North Africa."

Baja is not childs play ether.;)

Time will tale ACP . Its good to see Robbie in Dakar . Maybe this will help the USA not just watch NASCAR . And see that theres other motorsports out there.

David

1 - 20 of 29 Posts