Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Again Folks,

Hopefully 2006 will end with fewer rally folks passing on, but here is a note for today. I will leave it up to others to fill in the history of how David Ash fits into the start of special stage rallies in the USA, and while David and I had many "heated discussions" in those days, no one ever questioned his enthusiasm for getting the sport into the press and "big money" to reach beyond what the SCCA had planned back then. There is a full expose of those early days in Tom Grimshaw's Book about John Buffum (In Like a Lamb, Out Like A Lion).

A full obituary for David appears in today's New York Times in the Metro section page 34 dealing with his love of MG's and the old sports car scene. Some still call him Mr. MG...

RIP David.

Regards,
Walt Kammer

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello again,
A PS: to my prior note... Jerry Hines, well known organizer and competitor from the olden days in the Oregon/Washington area (and present organizer of the Alcan rallies, did what I forgot to do; namely include an online link to mirror the print edition for those without access... the link is below, and while it does not mention rally in David's past, my prior reference will allow those with interest to followup... below is the note from Jerry.
Walt

"...Well put Walt, another piece of rally history.

Many will remember David working with John Nagel when Olympus defected to NARA. The two of them were also instrumental in putting the Rally Internacional de las 24 Horas on NARRA's calendar (David's "Coca Cola" pants were quite a hit there). David was an interesting and enthusiastic character, we also owe him thanks for sanctioning the Golden West 2000 after SCCA declined :>)

http://www.legacy.com/NYTimes/DeathNotices.asp?Page=Lifestory&PersonId=16585495

Jerry..."

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
While I have many memories of David and the NARA days, the one that will always stick with me is his entrance, via helicopter on the front lawn of the Holiday Inn, at 20 Stages (I think it was 20 Stages). While many in the rally community want a return to "The good old days", David saw a time when rally in the US would rival NASCAR in popularity. It hasn't happened yet, but who knows, it may someday.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello All:

My name is Lisa Chittim, John Nagel's step daughter.....

What a sad 12 months this has been with the loss of John Nagel, Tom Grimshaw, Gene Henderson and now David Ash.........

These men were apart of my childhood as I grew up on dirt road and "check points" in the early American rally years.

With each passing, another empty space fills my heart.

I hope all of you will be at Olympus this May in Shelton, Wa, I will be and hope to see all the old and new rally fans!!!!!!!!

Thanks for dinner, David..........

Godspeed,

Lisa

>Hello Again Folks,
>
>Hopefully 2006 will end with fewer rally folks passing on, but
>here is a note for today. I will leave it up to others to
>fill in the history of how David Ash fits into the start of
>special stage rallies in the USA, and while David and I had
>many "heated discussions" in those days, no one ever
>questioned his enthusiasm for getting the sport into the press
>and "big money" to reach beyond what the SCCA had planned back
>then. There is a full expose of those early days in Tom
>Grimshaw's Book about John Buffum (In Like a Lamb, Out Like A
>Lion).
>
>A full obituary for David appears in today's New York Times in
>the Metro section page 34 dealing with his love of MG's and
>the old sports car scene. Some still call him Mr. MG...
>
>RIP David.
>
>Regards,
>Walt Kammer
>
:-(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts