Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard there was a fee for spectating at Rim this year, does anyone know how much the fee was? Was it per stage or for the entire event? Was this a State/National park fee or something else?
:+

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the link. $35 to spectate 1 stage twice or $55 to view both spectator areas seems terribly exspensive doen't it? I don't recall paying any where near this to spectate WRC events, infact several were free.

Does anyone know the break down of the fee's as to why this was so exspenisve? It might make sense!

Seems that the with the state of rallying in the USA charging fee's to spectate could turn people away. What I've seen this year spectating is down already.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Charging spectators is a good way to reduce crowd numbers. Rally GB has been using this for the last year or two and it has worked well.

Of course on WRC events, the Dave Richards plan is less spectators, more TV coverage.

I still think the number of spectators at the Rim fairgrounds was lower than last year -- exclude the size of the grandstand --- just the number of people walking around the pavilion, service etc seemed lower than at Pelona Vista in 03.

I am not sure how many people didn't pay to spectate. It is a national forest, I am not sure you can prevent people from going in the woods to watch rallies.

One idea is to have people pay for parking --- that was part of the Rally GB plan (it was part of the ticket) but the parking pass was more rigidly enforced than the spectator pass.

The Rim passes were nice, I liked the stage schedule on the back (like WRC events).

Glenn

·
Registered
768 Posts
- I woke up at 4am, watched F1 qualifications and then headed to RIM on Saturday.
- Got there 7.45 to see the start. BUT - nobody was selling tickets!! Gates were locked, couldn't get in....
- I wasn't the only one there; There was a large group from Northern California and they were not happy after driving 5-6 hours.

- Well, no harm...I just continued to Las Vegas and got home $ 600 richer...

·
Registered
253 Posts
>the entrance was around the back side of the fair grounds.
>
>-g

The back entrance was only for workers, crew & competitors and was guarded everytime I noticed from about 1pm on Friday on.

Bill

·
R6 300 FOC!
1,513 Posts
While I enjoyed RIM and had a great experience...I used the shuttle bus to get into the Maxwell stage on Saturday (as a member of the media), and have to say I wouldn't have been too happy if I had paid $35 for the service. Many people were waiting 45min to over an hour to get off the mountain, and the spectator area (one of them anyways) was located at the START of the stage. Now, to me, that's not very exciting. You could see a fun corner way off on the next ridge, but seeing a bunch of cars start, then waiting a few hours for them to do it again doesn't seem worth it.

I encouraged a few Cali friends out to see it, saying it's awesome to see first hand, and then felt embarrassed for dragging them out there.

I realize that organizers need to try and make ends meet...but perhaps while the sport is growing, we should be making spectating (especially at the super special) as accessible and affordable as possible. Sprint cars, dirt track, or local roundy-round races are often under $10, and they are run in the same sort of facilities.

Sell VIP passes (beer tent, lunches, special spectator areas), shuttle-bus passes, etc...but give folks a cheap alternative I say.

blah blah blah :)
Warwick

·
Registered
309 Posts
I agree totally, offer a full VIP package to the people that want to pay and offer free spectating to those that don't want to pay. The VIP package could include meals, transportation and souviniers from their favorite drivers. And all spectator areas including the Super Special should be free. This will add exposure to the event and in the long run, bring more money to the series. By making rally spectator friendly maybe we can grab some of the millions of race fans that are in America.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
I remember those famous words uttered by that rally guru of years gone by, "You can please some of the people some of the time, you can please some of the people all of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time".

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess the big question here is how was the spectating turnout?

What were their thoughts regarding the price?

Will they be back next year?

I don't know how the price was determined, so again it might make sense. However I cannot see paying this kind of fee to watch a Rally-and I do enjoy rally, been to several WRC events.

With so many other ways to spend money to watch motor sports I could understand if we loose spectators becuase of hi fee's, and if we loose them we may never get them back.

Yes the sport does need spectators as the costs to rally have grown and needs to be off set by sponsorship money either for an event or teams, these sponsors want spectators to see their products in hopes of getting a return for their investment.

As always IMHO

·
Registered
768 Posts
- For a dollar less than RIM one can go to Rally Finland (WRC)
- Overthere, one can see ALL stages where ever he/she prefers plus an 4-day unlimited service area pass

http://nrf.akk-motorsport.fi/en/spectators/tickets/

- I still wish well for RIM and would pay $ 10-15 for the stadium show but not $ 35 for a spot in the forest
- To give people same freedom as rest of the world won't work here; Too many spineless judges accepting any law suits by ambulance chasers

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am aware of a few of the costs that dove up prices.. rim had to pay 5 dollars per person that it took into the forrest..(forrest service pass). figure in the cost of the busses. and the fee for renting the fairground... i think that they should have charged like 35 for the entire event... as 55 was a bit steep. an you could have saved a bit of money if you purchased early.

for those of you that werent there last year. the police determined it was a good idea to tow all of the spectator cars when they were up spectating the stages, so everyone came down the hill to find their cars gone. then they had to pay probably 200+ to get their cars back. There were a lot of angry people last year that would more than willingly paid 55 for a bus ride...

And every time i walked into the far pavillian there was beer... so they were selling it there. Im just not sure if it was only for certain parts of the day.

as for arriving early... look at the schedule! place didnt open till 9:00am. the first stage in which you could spectate didnt start till 12:15pm. theres nothing special about seeing rally cars just driving off at the speed limit (JMO).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts