Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look at the Rim webb site, some of the roads are unusable, including the famous Del Sur :(

Hopefully they will be able to fix some of the roads in time
Rain and the Roads:
This year we have had more rain damage to the RIM roads than we have ever seen in 22 years of organizing RIM. Some of the damage to the RIM roads can be viewed on the RIM web site. In addition, these days the U.S. Forest Service has less staff available for road maintenance. What staff they have will be working on assessing damage and applying for special federal funds throughout the month of April. As such the USFS will probably not be able to do any road repairs prior to RIM and much of the forest will remain closed to the public until May 31.

To address this issue the RIM team will be having several ?road work? weekends in the forest repairing those roads that are within our capability to repair. Since the number of roads that we will be able to repair is significantly less than what we normally run, RIM will be considerably restructured this year, to make more use of the few roads that we do have. This will result in a rally that has fewer stage miles, more transit miles and is generally less efficient.

To include some additional stages we will be running one loop at the Hungry Valley State Vehicular Recreation Area located near Gorman. For this reason, pre-event testing will not be allowed at Hungry Valley Park this year.

Leon

PS I want to help fix the roads and will provind heavy equipt to do so , as without Del Sur, Rim is nothing

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,629 Posts
Leon:

I'm sure that the Hockers and Gibeaults will take you up on your offer.

I would make the observation that any help that can be provided by the rally community to rehabilitate the roads will very likely be viewed very positively by the Forest Service as roads budgets have been slashed nationwide.

Wilson

·
Registered
672 Posts
Thanks Leon!

We'll be in touch regarding your kind offer. We can sure use the help. This doesn't mean Leon will be allowed to do recce in a road grader!

Despite the adversity, we're pressing on regardless in true rally fashion. Along with adding recently graded roads in Hungry Valley, our plans are to use the best sections of some traditional Rim roads, INCLUDING Del Sur. This is going to require teams of volunteers working over the next five weeks to put the stages in the best shape possible before the event.

Rim's stages will certainly be unique and different this year but in other ways the event will better than ever. There's nothing like a little challenge from Mother Nature to fire up the competitive juices.

The Subaru Rim of the World Rally Team

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>You won't find me on a muddy Del Sur ever again, unless I can
>borrow Leon's road grader ...
>
>Halley ...
>I wanna be invited to Jake's low water bridge christening ...
>

Whoa, whoa, whoa...wait a minute. Is this the same Mad Mike "you're all a bunch of Pussies" Halley that we know and love? The guy who constantly complains that we are "coddling" newbies, and that rallies aren't "tough enough" anymore. The guy who seemingly revels in the challenge and unpredictability of rally. Careful Mike, you must be getting soft from running all those 100AW roads.

Also, Leon while you have you're grader up there, why don't you smooth out some of the water bars so us flatlanders don't have to lift.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>>You won't find me on a muddy Del Sur ever again, unless I
>can
>>borrow Leon's road grader ...
>>
>>Halley ...
>>I wanna be invited to Jake's low water bridge christening
>...
>>
>
>Whoa, whoa, whoa...wait a minute. Is this the same Mad Mike
>"you're all a bunch of Pussies" Halley that we know and love?
>The guy who constantly complains that we are "coddling"
>newbies, and that rallies aren't "tough enough" anymore. The
>guy who seemingly revels in the challenge and unpredictability
>of rally. Careful Mike, you must be getting soft from running
>all those 100AW roads.

Yup! Sounds like me! :) But while I've never come right out and called more than one or two people pussies I can tell you that escaping a muddy, long stage that makes one run its length in first gear and ends up costing an engine thanks to the constant high revs & mudded-over radiator ain't a recipe that makes me want to pay an entry fee and tow 1500 miles to do it again. We never made it to Del Sur in 2001 and we worked so hard keeping the car moving at all on Del Sur in 2003 (Bill had to get out and push once) that I still don't feel like I've ever seen the stage.

Thanks for noticing, btw! ;-)

Halley ...
I wanna be invited to Jake's low water bridge christening ...
http://www.realautosport.com

·
International Rallying Icon
669 Posts
>You won't find me on a muddy Del Sur ever again, unless I can
>borrow Leon's road grader ...
>
>http://realautosport.com/pics/Beetle/Rim2003/halley2.sized.jpg
>
>Halley ...
>I wanna be invited to Jake's low water bridge christening ...
>
>http://www.realautosport.com

Seeing that picture of the Studbug is giving me flashbacks to Cherokee '01 where it originally became the Dung Beetle. If we'd been with you at Rim '03 and had to clean all that mud off at every service, I think we'd have quit on the spot and gone drinking.:7

1 - 9 of 9 Posts