Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Rim of the World Rally and Mudfest is on SpeedTV
at 10:30pm (tonight) and 3:00am (tomorrow morning) EDT.

FYI,
Patrick
 

·
Nerd with a clock & clipboard
Joined
·
252 Posts
In the words of Leon Styles "...so I was hoping it would rain... it's come true."
Ask and ye shall receive!


:p :p :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
660 Posts
One nice development I noticed was there were no lame commmercials anymore. It appears like Speed has been able to convince some advertizers that we have some value. The good ads were not just from the manufacturers participating in the series either. For example, there was a Honda SUV ad in there. It was especially nice to see The Air Force present Tim's rally effort so heavily in their ad (hopefully it runs on during non-rally programming also).

Hopefully we've seen the end of the Potti Putter and the Totem Pole!

:)

Jim Cox
#558
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
>One nice development I noticed was there were no lame
>commmercials anymore. It appears like Speed has been able
>to convince some advertizers that we have some value. The
>good ads were not just from the manufacturers participating
>in the series either. For example, there was a Honda SUV ad
>in there. It was especially nice to see The Air Force
>present Tim's rally effort so heavily in their ad (hopefully
>it runs on during non-rally programming also).
>
>Hopefully we've seen the end of the Potti Putter and the
>Totem Pole!
>
>:)
>
>Jim Cox
>#558

Why have adds when you can have a 1 hour red/blue commercial.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Personally, I thought the coverage was sub-par. No production
or PGT cars??? Why are these shows so hit-or-miss? Some are
o.k. while others are very poor. Was Group 5 mentioned/shown?
As a minimum, EVERY broadcast should show the winning cars in
each class and a listing of the top 3 for each class. Why is
this so hard to do?

Patrick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
Here is the way I see it - WRC events only show WRC cars , no Group N or Super 1600 etc. As Rally becomes more popular we are likely to see less of the non-open cars , sad to say. So lets look at the bright side of TV we (rally as a whole) look good. Face it the zooty cars make people want to give rally a try.

Tom
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
924 Posts
until DR took total control of WRC broadcasts, they did show some f2 and GrN cars, and i saw a WRC broadcast whilst in Mexico this year, showed a bit of Super 1600. i guess it depends on market demand, write to Speed and ask them to broaden the coverage to include other classes, the show is a product intended for our consumption, if enough intrest is shown, they might listen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
> Here is the way I see it - WRC events only show WRC cars ,
>no Group N or Super 1600 etc. As Rally becomes more popular
>we are likely to see less of the non-open cars , sad to say.
>So lets look at the bright side of TV we (rally as a whole)
>look good. Face it the zooty cars make people want to give
>rally a try.
>
> Tom

I think we're there already. Granted the 2wd cars in the muck wouldn't look too fast, but they had a much tougher time of it then the 4wd cars.

Who got shown?

1) Subaru cars
2) Mitsubishi cars
3) Air Force car (Ford)
4) Mazda
5) Dodge
6) 5 second at the very end VW shot of Scott Fuller.

It was 99% Open/Group N.

I know I wasn't going that fast, but based on the lack of stages to cover I figured a brand new 2003 car would at least get 5 seconds of air time in an expanded hour of coverage.

So the 20 year rule and the presentation logic that went with it doesn't mean anything. Its all about having a car that has a manufacturer giving the SCCA some money. Fair enough, thats capitalism at its best, but with an hour of coverage every class winner should get at least 5 seconds on the air.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,998 Posts
I think we can cut the producers a little slack on the Rim broadcast. There weren't a lot of stages to shoot, and just getting to those stages was a challenge. I'm not surprised they were a little short of footage...especially on the other classes.

BW
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
>I think we can cut the producers a little slack on the Rim
>broadcast. There weren't a lot of stages to shoot, and just
>getting to those stages was a challenge. I'm not surprised
>they were a little short of footage...especially on the
>other classes.
>
>BW

Nope. Don't buy that. Del Sur was a turn around stage. Every car went by on the way in. And they had to wait for everyone to get done before the big boys came back down. So I am very surprised. It was clearly intentional.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
689 Posts
Trevor I have to agree with you , it is selling of product. And Sube-bitsu's look good on film.You and I may want to see "all" the clases but the average speed goer probaly would get boared.Example; We have two Autocrossers in our region who watch rally on TV , they are a husband and wife team. They go to Topeka every year and compete in the SOLO II Natioanl Championships , yet we can't get them to come to rally events. Why? , they only want to see the front line cars.
So if the coverage is a one hour commercial so be it - Rally in America looks good. So once someone who sees the Mitsubaru commercial on TV finally gets to a local event they will be so hooked they won't car that they're competing in a 10 yr old Geo.Considering how much SCCA Rally was on TV 5-7 years ago I'm quite happy with what we have.

Tom

PS Of course if they are making it tough on production class privateers to land sponsors.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
It was posted in here somewhere else, or talked about at the banquet, that the Speed camera guy on Del Sur filmed the first 10 cars, then put his camera away and sat there for several hours waiting for them to come back the other way.

OK, there was only one G5 finisher, but it was a Mitsubishi (an older one). They definately could have gotten a shot or two of the 2wd's struggling through tht muck. It wasn't fast, but it had to be comical at times.

Is the tape that these cameras use so expensive that on an event that was obviously going to be short of footage he didn't even consider filming at least all of the Pro guys in case there was a story there? (man, that's a long sentince)
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top