Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the SCCA thinks it doesn't make sense to run/sanction rallying, how can the risk management/insurance numbers make sense for any other group in the US?

I'm certainly not going to renew my SCCA membership. I feel let down.

Well I never paid it anyway, I just bought a new Impreza every year... :p

Glenn

·
Registered
33 Posts
I think it's just a convenient excuse for the SCCA to get rid of the rally program (seems like they've been trying to kill it for a few years now).

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
>I think it's just a convenient excuse for the SCCA to get
>rid of the rally program (seems like they've been trying to
>kill it for a few years now).

Stop kidding youself. The losses are real. The ratio of serious incident vs. participation is bad.

Has the SCCA historically operated with the best interest of the long term future of sport? No.

Will the sport be better served by those dedicated to rally? Yes.

The problems we face are still there, and still have to be delt with.

I only wish we could have left the SCCA on our own terms.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
>If the SCCA thinks it doesn't make sense to run/sanction
>rallying, how can the risk management/insurance numbers make
>sense for any other group in the US?
>
what i think they meant was that having rally as part of their program ran the risk of raising all the insurance rates for all their other series.

kind of like a family having a 16 yearold new driver in an new EVO MR. the rates go up for the whole family cuz of one driver and as soon as that driver is no longer on the policy the families rates go back down.

unfortunatel we, the rally community, were a VERY samll part of SCCA.

onward and upward,
greg

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
>
>kind of like a family having a 16 yearold new driver in an
>new EVO MR. the rates go up for the whole family cuz

Maybe if the kid had a Golf instead, the family could afford insurance?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
>I only wish we could have left the SCCA on our own terms.

How would that have happened. We had no leader. Who would lead us. The only collecive voice that competitors had was right here. SS is often a bad place to have real discussions but there really isn't an alternative.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
>>
>>kind of like a family having a 16 yearold new driver in an
>>new EVO MR. the rates go up for the whole family cuz
>
>Maybe if the kid had a Golf instead, the family could afford
>insurance?

Is the insurance going to be cheaper?

The workings of the SCCA was a big secret to so many of us. Maybe some of you guys could tell us the facts that we didn't have access to. I think we deserve that much.

I wish there was a better arena than this board. I can understand if folks don't want to let loose right here.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
It hasn't stopped anyone in the past from unloading here.

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
The SCCA web site is rather clear about out thier insureance works. You can go read about it.

My feeling, as long as Sail Boat Races, Ski Resorts, MotorCross, Mt. Bike Down Hill Racing, Dune Buggies, Snow Mobile, Circle Tracks, etc can buy insurance it is out there at rates that work.

Derek

·
Registered
309 Posts
The Colorado Hill Climb Association has been racing for over 30 years and carries event insurance at each of it's races. I have never heard them bitching about insurance pricing them out of the racing business. The Hill climbs are a lot like Rallies, except they have lots of spectators, the cars are much faster and they race for money. Maybe someone could find out who their carrier is.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
>>
>>kind of like a family having a 16 yearold new driver in an
>>new EVO MR. the rates go up for the whole family cuz
>
>Maybe if the kid had a Golf instead, the family could afford
>insurance?

Mike, reading between the lines, I would take a guess that you are thinking of a licensing system that requires X rallies in a low HP, 2wd car (G2/P) before allowing them to run in a high HP, 4WD car.

I think it makes sense. I'm sure many disagree.

Eric Burmeister (still learning in a low HP, 2wd car after 60 rallies)

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Silly question: Has this hillclimb association had 5 deaths and some serious injuries in the last 2.5 years or so? It's not the insurance carrier, it's the estimated risk, partially based on actual hsitory....guess that's part of the the term 'actuarial'? (How badly did I butcher that term?)

Mark B.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Dave Despain asked this very question (the one I asked) on Wind Tunnel. :)

I didn't find Steve Johnson's answer terribly comforting.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
>Dave Despain asked this very question (the one I asked) on
>Wind Tunnel. :)
>
>I didn't find Steve Johnson's answer terribly comforting.

For those w/out speed, what was his answer?

·
L3> over crest, drops!
647 Posts
And for those with Speed, that change channels as soon as Wind Tunnel comes on..:)

That might be the only episode I wished I caught.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My Insurance Carrier: so tell me, are there any other bodies that have been running a similar "rally" program to yours that I might check their record?

Mr Rally Sanctioner: yeah, we had this SCCA thing. There were a couple of spectator deaths, a couple of competitor deaths. Nothing serious, and it was all a few months ago. Things are much better now.

<click>

Mr Rally Sanctioner: hello? hello?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts