Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With Mexico being on the WRC fast track is there any news with regard to the future of the RIC rally?

Maybe dumping the FIA format and going back to the mixed surfaces of the past?

I don't speak French so linking me to a french forumn won't help me.

Thanks

Brian

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't think that the mix surface rules was just an FIA
thing... Like I said, I'm not sure. Can't seem to find it
in the CARS rule book.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
There was a posting in the Guideauto forum that suggested that RIC was having difficulties and the FIA observance had not gone well, concluding that WRC status was not to be any time soon. With Mexico, there is less regional pressure. But then, if it could be made a snow rally (predictably, that is) and run out of Quebec city (i.e. combined with RIQ) and run in sequence before Mexico (as RIQ was this year) so the crews don't have to continent-skip - well, could there still be hope?

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

Edit: add PS: the mixed-surface thing is an FIA rule, although Rally GB had tarmac in the middle of a stage last year. Can't figure that one out. A.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if RIC has all these FIA problems and Rally Quebec seems better positioned for a WRC event,

Is the RIC still going to be run?

Brian

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>
>Edit: add PS: the mixed-surface thing is an FIA rule,
>although Rally GB had tarmac in the middle of a stage last
>year. Can't figure that one out. A.

The FIA rule was to force events to be either a gravel event or a tarmac event. It isn't there to prevent the occasional piece of mid-stage tarmac showing up on a gravel rally. The idea was to reduce the costs and logistics involved with having to change a car from gravel-spec to tarmac-spec (or vice versa) mid-event. Portugal and San Remo used to run some days of the event on tarmac and some days on gravel (I have a picture somewhere of a deTomaso Pantera running on gravel ;-)).

I would love to see Charlevoix go back to having the short tarmac stages.

Adrian

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
The tarmac at Charlevoix was awesome, it would be nice if it went back. that seemed to be the big draw for competitors too.

I can tell you that Charlevoix and Quebec are both not even close to as well organized and ready for WRC as Mexico was. They need to collaborate funds and resources or give up

Both are still great rallies though

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
One fianacial disadvantage Quebec and Charlevoix have had to pay for that Mexico is not likely to experience is the cost for plowing the snow from the stages.

I'd like to see Charlevoix return to its 'classic' format.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
No snow, but they did grade and manacure all the roads. Next year I hear they will do the same for the transits were pretty rough in places

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I watch the older CARS tapes Charlevoix is simply awesome!

I had some friends who ran in 1999 when all the cars were put on a Ferry and taken across the water in it!!!

Then I went in 2000 for the first FIA year. The roads were great but I sooooooooo wish they would go back to the pre-2000 days.

I would be there in a second for that.

I remember the quote shown in-car when Buffum ran the EVO V as they turn onto this little tarmac road "Is this someone's driveway?"

Brian

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>When I watch the older CARS tapes Charlevoix is simply
>awesome!
>
>I had some friends who ran in 1999 when all the cars were
>put on a Ferry and taken across the water in it!!!

That was a great, but somewhat chaotic, event. It had, I think, the most tarmac of any of the recent Charlevoix rallies. It's the only time I've dropped the routebook on stage (in the 90R-90L residential part). Fortunately, it landed on Brad's foot and he kicked it bac to me in time for the next call :). It was also the place where I decided that fast tarmac gives the scariest ride.

>Then I went in 2000 for the first FIA year. The roads were
>great but I sooooooooo wish they would go back to the
>pre-2000 days.

I was crewing that year, but didn't have a lot of work to do. The car broke on the first stage.

>I would be there in a second for that.

Agreed, especially if it didn't take a week to do the rally.

Adrian

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Drop the Recce', drop the FIA non-sense, bring back the Tarmac.

All I've heard is great things from the Pre-2000 events.

Since then I believe that entries have gone down each year. I could be wrong about that though.

I won't be back to RIC under it's current format. Too much time, too much FIA.

Brian

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
I'd like the oppurtunity to do the recee, but shorten the rally or run the same stages more often so it doesn't take 3 days. 1300K or recee and 1300K of rally last year to DNF on the last transit to the final MTC. Doh!
The 1999 island aspect was unique but the logistics for the ferries made it difficult for everyone. And that intensely steep hill down to the ferry landing on both shores was no fun for the tow vehicles and would have been worse if it had snowed more than it did or been icy that year.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I DNF's Charlevoix last year, so the comments I made are probably going to be different than other teams'.

I think that the current format for Charlevoix is good. We looked forward to the challenge of running an event that is run similar to a WRC event. The event is gruelling because of the time involved(and the challenging conditions).

Should the event be changed to make it "easier" for the teams? Not sure. RIQ was NOT a short event this year. We spent 5 days up there. Will I do it again? Sure will. While I can't spend the time/money to do recce for every race, I welcome the opportunity to gain a new skill.

I'm sure the organizers will take whatever steps they need to in order to attract the financial resources they will need for this year. I think supplying stage notes would be a huge asset to teams for 2003 who don't have the time to do the recce.

Cheers! John

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here's 2 cent's worth from John's co-driver...

Have watched Charlevoix 2 years, it's a great rally but the time of year is tough. In late Oct north of Quebec, you never know if it's going to be a gravel rally with a bit of snow, or a snow event with a little wet gravel, or winter roads with summer ditches, or icy gravel with snowbanks, or gravel with wicked dust, or what. This might well be a problem for WRC, which needs to fill its calendar with predictable seasonal events.

In Feb, Rallye de Quebec is a pure snow/ice affair. This year the banks were 6 feet high and real friendly--long as the tow strap was handy! RIQ's Hippodrome and Parc Techno stages were awesome spectator events, yet the forest stages were largely devoid of fans. At Charlevoix, the forests were so full of spectators that crowd control was a major issue.

Charlevoix had the organized feel, Quebec this year wasn't nearly as well put together. Why not combine the organisation and forest crowds of RIC combined with the venue and seasonal timing of RIQ?

Ideal equation...RIC org + RIC crowds + RIQ snow + Hippodrome + Parc Techno = WRC!!

Ciao for now,

Dave G.
www.lastditchracing.net

...embrace loose gravel, beware big trees...!!!

·
Registered
280 Posts
CARS should only alows one rally to go FIA ....

Choose the one that have the mots chances....
Give them all the chance possible...
Get all the Club to help out....
All the promoter to help out and shaire there knowledge....
Get all the volonter from all the club ...
Get all the working force we have ...and once a year put it at the same place...
This would avoid competition between 2 rallys....and do the best rally we put togeter to show the FIA...what ever if its RIC or RIQ any otter rally...

RIC and RIQ are basicaly at the same place...there is a place for both rally....but not for both rally to go FIA and compete against each otter....the non FIA rally organisation should be involve 100% whit the FIA rally.....then...maybe we will get something that the FIA will consider....

Alain Lavoie
24Rallyteam
http://www.abikeonline.com/24rallyteam/

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
My understanding is that RIQ is not persuing WRC status, and that RIQ was. Apparently the situation is VERY political. It's very clear that that the infrastructure of RIC(hotels/restaurants) would not be able to support a WRC event as the location stands now. Quebec city certainly could, but apparently the RIQ is NOT persuing listing on the WRC calender.

So, the hopes of a WRC event in Canada looks doubtful anytime in the near future.

Cheers! John

·
Registered
280 Posts
im pretty shure they are looking for wrc...they ad FIA inspectors...just like the RIC ?

and many people over here started to say that RIQ ad much better chances than RIC.... after the bad report RIC ad this year...

i mite be wrong...but... thats what i understoud..

any way..i hope we are going to be able to do the RIC this year..i was the first rally i went as spectator...and it was kind of a dream for me do be able to do it...so... cross my finger...i hope it wont be to expensiv...

Cheers!

Alain Lavoie
24Rallyteam
http://www.abikeonline.com/24rallyteam/

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I was told that RIQ had FIA observers ONLY because it was part of the FIA sanctioned CNAR. I would expect that all the CNAR events will have FIA observers, although few of them are seeking WRC status.

I am not sure if RIC has to officially notify the FIA that they are not seeking WRC status? I'm not that familiar with the rules, but I would imagine that in order for another event to step forward in Canada, then RIC would have to bow out.

We hope to run RIC again this year as well.

Cheers! John

·
Registered
315 Posts
The post on the GuideAuto forum suggested that the Canadian sporting authority (I presume it's referring to either CARS or ASN Canada) had withdrawn RIC's application to the WRC.

I guess that clears the road for RIQ if it wants to apply.

I'd also love to see Charlevoix return to the old 1.5 day format. Charlevoix '99 was the best spectating experience of my life.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts