Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just checked the website and they only show 31 cars entered? Seems pretty low to me.

Is there a commitment to this current RIC structure with full reccee' and no pavement? It seems from the CARS videos that I have that the rally attracted many more cars when it was a standard format rally and also had all of those cool tarmac stages.

Brian

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>I just checked the website and they only show 31 cars
>entered? Seems pretty low to me.
>
>Is there a commitment to this current RIC structure with
>full reccee' and no pavement? It seems from the CARS videos
>that I have that the rally attracted many more cars when it
>was a standard format rally and also had all of those cool
>tarmac stages.

That likely is the correct entry list, since entries closed a while ago.

The cost of doing the whole shot (rallye/recce etc.) has gotten prohibitively expensive for a lot of teams. I also don't believe that it is a round of the RSQ (Rallye Sport Quebec) championship (it wasn't last year), so they don't get the numbers of regional competitors. I get the impression that it is something of a victim of its own success.

I know that I have less interest in doing the event since the tarmac stages went away (even if they were only a small part of the mileage), although I do want to do another rally with recce.

Adrian

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ran the rally the first year of the current format and my opinion of RIC is one for a pub and many "pops". I didn't run last year and I'm not running this year. If I really wanted to run it, the car would have been done but I choose to stay home.

I wish the rally went back to the old format. I've never run a tarmac stage and the old Charlevoix just looks awesome on the tapes I have. I'll never forget the Buffum quote when he was running the EVO 5 "Is this someone's driveway?" to which Lance Smith replies "Yes, now go."

Brian

·
Registered
665 Posts
I think that they may be barking up the wrong tree anyway, given that David Richards has stated that the series could do with another snow rally. Maybe Quebec would be a better candidate for the ever-elusive forever-promised WRC round? With no studded tires allowed, it would be an entertaining spectacle.

Robin

·
Old-skool!
307 Posts
About 10 years ago RAC was a simple forest rally (no recce) with the most beautiful headquarters and every type of road you could ask for. Tarmac to start, then powerline roads, then Haute Gorge with the portals de Enfern (excuse my poor memory and spelling). I ran it 3 times and would like to run again.
Ted Mendham

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Exactly.

I think if they went back to the old format that 70 cars would be possible. At the end of the rally you'd also have 70 happy crews, instead of numerous crews stating "I'll never be back" which is what I heard in 2000 when I ran. Most of those crews haven't been back.

This year without Buffum, Havas returning, and a couple Europeans they'd have 25 cars.......not too good IMHO.

Brian

·
Registered
665 Posts
I beleive that last year's round of proposed CARS rule changes even mentioned the possibility of removing RIC from the national calendar.
Not sure what the entry list would look like then...

Robin

·
Registered
280 Posts
i also think it sad...to see only 30 cars taking the start...

its one of the most popular rllye in north america...the stage are pact whit crowd..its a good showe to whatch...but..for only 30 cars...i dont know...

i cant compet in it this year...but next year we will do our best to do it...but its expensiv as hell!..having to take vacation all week for the rec...the hotel in the manoir for a week ect ect.. plsu the registration are the higest in canada...

any way im going to be there to whach the show...and it always a nice trip thats place is so nice....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts