Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Leon,
Looks like fun!, but I don't recall that you can make a front wheel drive(Lancer)car rear wheel drive. If this is an EVO (AWD), I would think that converting to RWD would still keep you in Open class.

Not knocking Rhys, just wondering.

Bob Campbell
[email protected]
BCR Rallysport
Colorado Springs, CO

·
Registered
250 Posts
true, per my reading of the current RA rules you can't change the drive wheels unless is it marketed that way from the factory.

truth be told, this car is one of the cars brought over and converted for use in the 3rd adolescent and angry (fast and furious) movie. <info stolen from evolutionm.net>

Greg,

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
The RA rule is crap.

If the intent of the rule was to promote the use of cars as delivered on the showroom, it fails miserably.

If you can change ANY car from 2wd to 4wd, a significant performance advantage (far greater than changing from front to rear or vise versa), then you should be able to change drive configuration in G2 and G5. Ever notice how it only applies to 2wd cars and not 4wd Open?

G2 and G5 should be open with regard to drive train configuration.

You can buy the parts directly from Ford to make the Focus RWD ferpetessake.

www.fordracingparts.com Click on the "Fast Focus" catalog.

I haven't scrutinized NASA's rules yet. Hopefully they are open to such conversions.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
>true, per my reading of the current RA rules you can't change
>the drive wheels unless is it marketed that way from the
>factory.

Note above per Leon's note, he is running it at Ramada which is not a RA event.

Jerry

>The RA rule is crap.
>
>If the intent of the rule was to promote the use of cars as
>delivered on the showroom, it fails miserably.
>
>I haven't scrutinized NASA's rules yet. Hopefully they are
>open to such conversions.

Sorry Guys,..from the Nasa rule book:

3.2.3.1 Definition
a. Vehicles must be 2-wheel drive, normally aspirated models sold
globally in minimum quantities of 1000.
b. Drive configuration must remain as originally manufactured (e.g.
front engine, front drive).

I think the pupose of the rule is to keep such heavily modified "one offs" out of the classes. You can still run the altered drive configuration car in open...without a restrictor.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
>I think the pupose of the rule is to keep such heavily
>modified "one offs" out of the classes. You can still run the
>altered drive configuration car in open...without a
>restrictor.

As the G2 and G5 classes are subcategories of the "Open" classification, it seems that they would be the ideal place for such a "one off." Just as Open is the ideal place for 4wd Hyundais, etc.
To me, at least.

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
Have to agree with you there Eric. A RWD Focus would be an awesome G2 car. We're talking about a Focus powerplant powered XR4Ti Group 2 car. There's not too huge of a price difference between a dirt cheap XR and a used Focus when taken into account the extra sponsorship opportunities of late-model.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
>As the G2 and G5 classes are subcategories of the "Open"
>classification,

Probably not after Jan 1, 2006, G2/G5 rules will be listed seperately, and no more "open category" terminology to create misunderstanding and excess e-mails to the tech director.

it seems that they would be the ideal place
>for such a "one off." Just as Open is the ideal place for 4wd
>Hyundais, etc.
>To me, at least.

Do we really want mid-engined rear drive conversions to be the new sharp end of these classes? Would that be fair to the current competitors in G2 / G5?

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
>Before deciding how dreamy a RWD focus is, you should see one
>in person, and put it on a set of scales.

I've seen many of them here at work. Don't know about "dreamy," but "fun" sure comes to mind, as with any V8 RWD rally car. You can relate to that, can'tcha Mike? :)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
>
>I've seen many of them here at work. Don't know about
>"dreamy," but "fun" sure comes to mind, as with any V8 RWD
>rally car. You can relate to that, can'tcha Mike? :)

Fun and interesting, but it seems like taking "the long way around the barn" to get a 3,100lb rwd ford.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
>Fun and interesting, but it seems like taking "the long way
>around the barn" to get a 3,100lb rwd ford.

I agree completely. But that seems little reason to discourage such creativity if folks wanna build 'em.

I see your point about mid-engined rear wheel drive cars. How 'bout a rule that says engine has to stay in the same end, but allowing either pushers or pullers, regardless of original design?

Even if the rule was abolished in its entirety, I think the likelihood of someone taking advantage of it is slim. I don't see a lot of R5 Turbos running to take advantage of the current rules.

But you have to write rules for what CAN be built, not what is. I wish I could find this very conversation that I had on this forum a year ago in the G222 forum, but apparently its lost to cyberoblivion.

So whaddyathink? Engine same end. Drive wheels either end.:+

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
>Sorry Guys,..from the Nasa rule book:
>
>3.2.3.1 Definition
>a. Vehicles must be 2-wheel drive, normally aspirated models
>sold
>globally in minimum quantities of 1000.
>b. Drive configuration must remain as originally manufactured
>(e.g.
>front engine, front drive).
>
>I think the pupose of the rule is to keep such heavily
>modified "one offs" out of the classes. You can still run the
>altered drive configuration car in open...without a
>restrictor.
>
>

Yeah Mike, but there is also this:

"3.1.3 Vehicle Eligibility . . .. Other vehicles may compete at the discretion of NASA Rally Sport."

If, for example, that Toyota powered Mini that I saw competing up at Defi a few years ago wanted to enter, I think it would be a non-issue.

Regards,

Wilson

·
straight at T
647 Posts
RE: rwd subarus

$745 (even if it is Canadian money) for something you can make for free out of an old center diff. Ouch! You selling many of those, Pat? I should go into production...

And then what do you do when you blow up the rear end or snap an axle? "Ring, ring, Hey Pat do you have...."

Hey, that's not such a bad angle... ;-)

-DC

>I've seen MANY
>
>http://www.rocketrally.com/managed/mod-CMpro-viewpage-pageid-90.phtml
>
>-Pat

1 - 20 of 37 Posts