Special Stage Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Other than a trip down memory lane... why the interest in this specific car?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Other than a trip down memory lane... why the interest in this specific car?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk 2
I just get a bee in my bonnet over certain things from time to time and in this case the bee in my bonnet (as a Nissan/Datsun fan) happened to be trying to track down the final resting place of what is certainly a unique and historic vehicle. One that was built in Japan, raced under the Datsun works program in East African Safari rallies, was then shipped to the US where BRE used it in a handful of Baja races and then upon its intended return to Japan, fell off a loading dock or some such and was sold to a private individual here in the States who used it to win some stage rallies here before it was sold to an individual in Minnesota who evidently raced it once and sold it back to someone in CA where the trail grows cold...

Just a cool story with lots of history...

·
Registered
196 Posts
Keep digging. I am very interested if the story is true? There are at least two other US rally guys that this would be more than just interesting to. All three of us grew up watching the East African Safari Rally from the front row so to speak. I may have watched this very car rally when it was brand new. Anybody know what the car number was or who drove it in the EASR? I cant imagine there is much left of it? Maybe.:cool:

·
Registered
426 Posts
West Coasters who were around then and are still around, Mike Whitman (who still has a 510 rally car) and Mike Gibeault who raced a 510 in the day. They knew all the cars and competitors of the day. Too early for me, I didn't get going until 1984. Look on the CRS website for Mike's email.

Roger
My first rally car was a Datsun 610

·
Registered
2 Posts
location of the unicorn red fiberglass rhd 510.

Sorry to revive an old thread but I am good friend of Terry Palmer and I believe the 510 you guys are talking about is sitting outside his shop haha.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I will take pictures of it when I go out there to pick up my Z as I am not as sure as you guys but you all can decide from the pics if it is the car lol.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I will take pictures of it when I go out there to pick up my Z as I am not as sure as you guys but you all can decide from the pics if it is the car lol.
Awesome! How did this turn out?

·
Spectator Wrangler
830 Posts
There has been speculation the RHD-specific pieces were passed on to late rally legend, Eric Jones, who used them in his RHD 510 LEJOG car build. Who knows?
I thought I remembered that the RHD parts for Eric's project came from New Zeeland. The source was in the story about Eric's friends finishing the car after Eric's health had gotten too bad to complete it. I tried to find the story this evening but failed.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts