Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mika Hakkinen returns to the world of motorsports.
The Formula 1 Champion of 1998 and 1999, will compete in the European Championship with Mitsubishi.

Mika said,.. "I was always fasinated by the abilities of rallye drivers. I knew I had to try this myself sometime."
Mika also said,.. "this is not going to be a second career."

Whiplash RallyeSport

·
Registered
768 Posts
- "Arctic Rally" up in Lapland, Finland, has always been "gotta do once" for many famous people.
- Ex F1 champ Keke Rosberg started it all and has brought many to have fun with him. Mercedes racing boss Norbert Haug, etc has rallied there.
- JJ Lehto has been by far the most successful, he won some stages in GrF(2WD national class) and GrN.
- Arctic Rally used to have (may still have dep on weather?)100KM long stage finishing to a dead end. Snow banks can be 20ft high and minus 30 deg weather. Many cars got stuck on this stage and had to burn everything inside/out to keep warm! Recaro seats, belts, tires, etc were life savers till help arrived....
- One year a crew almost died; They went off through the 25ft snow bank and the hole they made closed after them. The windshield got pushed in and the whole car was packed tigh with snow. They couldn't move and it took long time untill they're found, frozen but alive.
- If you ever want to do an exotic, wild rally this is it!
- Check Hakkinen's times here in January: www.arcticrally.fi

·
Nerd with a clock & clipboard
252 Posts
Morgan,
Would you be so kind as to share a link to a larger version of that pic? My boss is a big F1 fan and Mika is his hero.
Thanks,
Carl

·
Registered
768 Posts
RE: Lapland survival

IF you go to Lapland waste land be sure to fill up enough "Kossu Internal Antifreeze - like Finns do.
- Where to get it and How to use is info here: www.kossu.org/eng/

1 - 10 of 10 Posts