Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating retail sales of retreads next to Barry, Jr.'s transmission shop, www.goodshift.com, in my building in Mountainhome, PA. Some sponsorship and having "my" retreads on a rally car in STPR, IRNY, NEFR, BRS and Mt. Washington '11 would be PR that I would like to discuss with interested teams. [email protected].
Thanks.

Barry Sommers, Sr.
Two time published Freelance Photographer for:
Grassroots Motorsports magazine
Shooting STPR, NEFR, IRNY, BRS

Gonna shoot Mt. Washington Clomb to the Clouds 2011

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I might be wrong but Michelin casings might be a good choice. The company doing the retreading no doubt has a snow tread pattern that might be suitable for dirt/gravel and another for tarmac. Now what about Mt. Washington? Durometer should suit the road surface.

All constructive input very welcome here.

Thanks

Barry

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
I tried Colway retreads. They were rocks. They had a pseudo-Michelin pattern molded onto a Michelin casing.

I would be concerned about using retreads.
-The highways across America are littered with "road gators" from retreads coming off trucks. That could be deadly if it happened on a rally car.
-The entire tire takes a beating on a rally. Reusing the casing of a rally tire after the tread is obliterated means using a casing that has absorbed who knows how many large rocks, heat cycles, mount/dismounts, etc.

What's the price point?

·
Cheddarwagen Pilot
1,805 Posts
-The entire tire takes a beating on a rally. Reusing the casing of a rally tire after the tread is obliterated means using a casing that has absorbed who knows how many large rocks, heat cycles, mount/dismounts, etc.
Agreed. All of my tires have slices and cuts on the sidewall (some of them deep enough to show cord), though the tread is still in good shape.

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
45 second penalty for thread rules violation. Sorry. :(
I'm sorry...I thought "All constructive input very welcome here."

As very few rallyists have ANY experience with retreaded rally tires, I thought that sharing my experience might be considered constructive. I was unaware that your idea of "constructive" meant "constructive for your business" no matter what it means for the competitor considering the product.

Good luck with your business.

·
Spectator Wrangler
831 Posts
I would be concerned about using retreads.
-The highways across America are littered with "road gators" from retreads coming off trucks. That could be deadly if it happened on a rally car.
According to the tire industry stuff I see, most of those are thrown from from new tires , not retreads. We just assume they were from retreads. Then again, OTR tire construction is different from passenger car tire construction as they are designed to be retreaded.
As I remember retreading, more correctly remolding, mold sizes are very specific. Can rally car "metric sizing" fit into the molds correctly?

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Huh?

In the "most emails are mis-interpreted" vein - whose post are you refering to?

45 second penalty for thread rules violation. Sorry. :(
press on,

·
aircooled
1,371 Posts
I guess if the tire carcass was still in good shape then maybe a retread would work. Almost all commercial aircraft tires are retreads. So the retread = crap myth doesn't hold up very well. But I don't see 737s sliding sideways into ditches with rocks tearing up the sidewalls.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
My objective with regard to tires on rally cars is merely to get them "on" one car. Otherwise I will deal with only consumers/daily drivers saving millions of gallons of oil a year.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Looks like Maxsport is the newest remould tyre on the other side of the pond. That's what Demon Tweeks sells. Maxsport's site calls them "remanufactured Competition Tyres" as a euphuism for remould/retread.

http://www.maxsport-competition-tyres.co.uk/

ymmv

press on,

·
I have a cat.
3,676 Posts
To be clear, I don't think the Colways I used came in different compounds. The ones I had were very hard. I see that the Maxsports apparently do come in different compounds.

·
[email protected] -> Magnetic Tree
438 Posts
My objective with regard to tires on rally cars is merely to get them "on" one car. Otherwise I will deal with only consumers/daily drivers saving millions of gallons of oil a year.
Are you talking rally specific retreads like Maxsports or Colways or are you talking a typical winter tread pattern retread tire (possibly using rally tire carcasses) that you typically find in the US for road use?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Looking forward to the day when we are talking to the everyday driver about our Special Tread tires, most important would be that the retreading process and vendor used to produce tires for "our" awesome rally car seen in the wall size vinyl are identical to the process and vendor used to retread all the tires we will sell. It would cost $15,000 for rally tread pattern tooling. :(

Those are my thoughts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts