Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
What do we need to do to get JGM some better technology? Somewhere between tin-cans-and-string and satellite phones, there must be an affordable improvement on 14.4...

Recommendations for high(er)-speed data xfer on analog cell networks?

-Isaac

·
Registered
768 Posts
- Donno if he needs anything.... this guy is far better than SCCA and RallyAmerica together! And he's giving timely, correct results for TWO rallies at same time.
- SnoDrift & RallyAmerica failed to connect the winner to his car number after three days...
- Lake Superior and WildWest were other failures.

- Why don't they and SCCA hire this guy?

- I enjoy to follow every rally stage by stage and FIA type timing's the best.

- THANK YOU !

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
For Sandblast, the only hope is to establish a better link to the Alltel digital site south of McBee or near Cheraw, and see if Alltel has higher speed data on CDMA on either site. Cingular has new sites in the area, but I don't think they have GPRS higher speed data there yet.

Jean, write me if you need details. Whose service were you using there?

Mark Bowers
Corsico RF Communications

·
Retired Rally Photographer
2,069 Posts
>For Sandblast, the only hope is to establish a better link
>to the Alltel digital site south of McBee or near Cheraw,
>and see if Alltel has higher speed data on CDMA on either
>site. Cingular has new sites in the area, but I don't think
>they have GPRS higher speed data there yet.
>
>Jean, write me if you need details. Whose service were you
>using there?
>
>Mark Bowers
>Corsico RF Communications

I have a plain ol' Cingular cellphone and I got fantastic coverage around the stages there.

Pete

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Data line speed... more on sharing

Thank Mark for the info, I was using Charles Sherrill cell phone.

You can talk to Charles to get a faster link next year but the set-up I had was fine. I manage to do good with the line.

Suprisely the biggest problem was that I can not share an AOL connection. It would be nice to share the Internet with an other PC. Somebody wanted to send "post" about the rally. For next year that would be nice to be able access a "normal" Internet provider even at 14.4...

Jean-Georges

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
You are lucky; Cingular just tunred on a set of new sites up Route 1 in that area a few weeks back; these weren't even finished in construction at the last event. It is PCS GSM, so would have limited range. They don't have coverage over in east TN that I can recall, except on the interstate near Cleveland. With PCS, they won't penetrate the mountains to any extent, unless they ahve put in a new site there.

If you have GPRS enabled with Cingular GSM at the nearby site, you should have a decent connection speed.

Mark

·
Retired Rally Photographer
2,069 Posts
RE: Data line speed... more on sharing

>Did you go over cellphone to the earthlink line??
>
>Mark

No. My cellphone doesn't do that unfortunately. I used the line in the Inn Cheraw. I'm sure something can be done by dialing it with a cellphone though.

Pete

1 - 12 of 12 Posts