This morning I nearly spat my tea up whn I saw the following thing:
"Top General Rally USA topic #38922
View in linear mode

Subject: "Ojibwe Stage Options" Previous topic | Next topic
Mark Larson Thu Sep-01-05 06:02 AM
Member since Mar 01st 2004
89 posts
#38922, "Ojibwe Stage Options"

We have a follow up meeting of the Ojibwe rally committee coming up, and I have a few questions I'd like to ask about the route this year, so we can make next year's route even better. I'd be interested in hearing both from competitors and spectators who were there"

Congrats Mark and a thank you for the request.
A couple or three years ago I was helping a couple of friend who I had been urging to go out to do Ojibwe based on all the nice reports I had gotten from other friends who had gone and made a very tentive, full of qualifiers like "maybe, a little tiny bit slower on the transits" which many people had complained of being just too tight and hectic and the answer was "I defy anybody to prove..........."

Marvelous change, refreshing.

Somebody buy this man a big _good_ beer!
Buy the Organising commitee a beer!

Reast of the country, ask your organising commitees when they will do the same.

Fine tuning a product to satisfy the consumers sure seems like a good way to improve satisfaction.

Wow. what a concept!

Again, thanks.
Fan of Ojibwe since last century.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Umm --

most of us do this after every event -- it is called the CER

Competitor Evaluation R?

We hear one year that all the stages at Sno*Drift were short (in a negative context). the next year we had a better mix of stages that included a 25 mile stage.

A few year ago the complait was up hill starts, I went out and changed all the up hill start locations as best I could.

Another year it was longer shut down areas -- re-wrote stages again.

This year our 25 miler will be slightly shorter for a better finish set up.

We listen and we listen carefully.
Reasonable requests get reasonable responses.
We also learn from evnets during the events.
Constant improvement is our goal.

I like Mark's openness for addressing specific issues and its great that he put it on the forum, but most organizers need to be made aware of issues before they can be publicly addressed.

Good Job Mark,
and to everyone else, constructive criticism is always welcomed.

Mike

·
Registered
335 Posts
>Congrats Mark and a thank you for the request.
>A couple or three years ago I was helping a couple of friend
>who I had been urging to go out to do Ojibwe based on all the
>nice reports I had gotten from other friends who had gone and
>made a very tentive, full of qualifiers like "maybe, a little
>tiny bit slower on the transits" which many people had
>complained of being just too tight and hectic and the answer
>was "I defy anybody to prove..........."

Well, that might have been me. We used to schedule our transits with plenty of time for driving, but no goofing off time. Why shouldn't changing a tire be part of the rally? Your competitor didn't hit that rock!

Anyway, in 2004 they changed the rule so we couldn't do that any more. So, now we give you a ridiculously long amount of time on transits (10 minutes more than the time it takes to drive), as the rule requires.

The biggest complaint we get now is that the rallies end too late! Lets see, 16 stages * 10 minutes makes 2 hours and 40 minutes the competitors sit at ATCs instead of sleeping.

Happy to please, yet unapologetically in favor of merely adequate transit times,

Mark
Ojibwe Forests Rallymaster

·
Left seat and not British!
785 Posts
Here. Here! I agree. Our old rule was to stick 4 minutes in for a tire change (alright, you did have to be quick about it)...10 minutes is an event stretcher. Because of stringing stages together, I usually ask for and am granted a sanctioned exception. If we were ALL asking for that exception, maybe we could get JB and cronies to look at it and not penalize the organizer quite so much.

BTW, I add my thanks for a wonderfully executed event, Mark. Had a ball.....(to quote Hendrik Blok...."right up until the end, there!").

Kim DeMotte
Official Old Fart, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts