Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, my own grumblings, public and private have inspired me to write this. I have been a grump and that's not what I want my rally experience to be about. I apologize if it has rubbed off on anyone along the way.

And frankly, there has been a lack of positive discussion here lately. If I was in charge of SS I would be shaking my head. Has it enabled us to act our worst?

When I first saw rally I never dreamed that I would be lucky enough to actually drive a rallycar. I know that there are plenty of spectators and workers out there who have the same dream. It's more fun than just about anything.

That's what we all should focus on...the positive. It's not a right, it's a priveledge. We have all put so much into the sport. In light of that investment of time, money, and passion I think we should try to hold our heads a bit higher and be thankful for what we have.

Let's do our best to treat each other with respect in our relationships and find common bonds. We battle machinery, nature, and the clock so hard that we shouldn't nitpick with each other. We should try and lend a wrench, a tire, a part, a hand, or firewood and pasties whenever we can.

We all have things we would like to see change. I think it starts with respecting our fellow rally enthusiasts and the time we have all put in.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts
Jake, I tried to e-mail you but the address I had didn't work. Can you send your current address to me at ben at specialstage dot com? Failing that, I may try giving you a call some time this weekend. Cheers!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Nicely stated. In complete agreement, I was ecstatic to get my rally dream off the ground, making that leap from slack-jawed spectator in the woods to adrenaline-amped competitor ready for a start. Approaching this sport, while daunting, has actually been easier than I anticipated largely because of the advice and encouragement offered by so many. So although there are a few bad apples, I still think for the most part this is an inviting sport with a lot of great people. We should, as Jake said, focus on the positive and enjoy the privilege. So thanks to everybody, and I'll see you all down the road.

Heath

·
Registered
689 Posts
hey hey what the hell are you guys doing........I got involved with rally becuase all of the luntics in the sport, now your promoting peace and harmony what kind of BS is this.....I want anarchy damn it. Jeeez who'd a thought it would come to this. If people start acting nice hear it will tear a hole in the space time fabric.

Respectfully Tom

PS; good post Jake and Rally "is" all good , I mean when you see so shmoe pushing a shopping cart full cans up the avenue it kinda makes it hard to complain about rally not being popular or rant about the X games ruining rally. We have such great stories to tell when we come to work on Monday morning when all I co-workers did was sit on the couch and watch their team.

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
I think you should change you signature to "If you see me winning, just imagine me smiling and sideways."

But this is a very good post. There has been a bit of perceived negativity. It's a bit of a misperception as I think we all care deeply for our sport and want to see it progress. That being said, every piece of news I hear about US rally makes me more and more optimistic and I try to rub that off on others. Whether it be the Rally America crew getting us on the X Games or the USRC adding a 2WD National Championship, I think we're still heading flat out in the right direction. In fact, my optimism and positivity lately has resulted in me spending almost every cent of my spare money instantly in parts to get my car closer to completion. Now, to go order brake lines. Have a great weekend.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>[rally]....It's not a right, it's a priveledge.

And I'm the Easter Bunny.

When someone invites one into their home, that is a privilege. When someone pays $1,000+ a night in a hotel they better have clean sheets every day, room service, concierge, turn down service, mints, etc.

When rally entry fees were $50, that was a privilege. At $1,000+ that ain't no privilege; it is a service that one is paying big money for... and there should be at least a catered meal and open bar at the end of it.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
<<< and there should be at least a catered meal and open bar at the end of it. >>>

Hey Easter Bunny, obviously you missed out on all of my Treeline events.
Oh well!

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
What I was thinking too Mike
I played a gig w/ her many years ago
- and based on that night ... ahh, well that's anouther story
and it would surely hijack this thread.

·
50 L3/CR 70 Yump 200
997 Posts
1. She only gave maybe 80% (granted that her 80% is still pretty impressive) to get thru the performance... kind of a "good enough for you guys" thing

2. She skipped a rehearsal.

3. Delayed the start of the performance until (no kidding on this one) her money was counted/confirmed for her.

In my mind it was pretty much a lack of respect for the hall and the rest of the musicians. I could be wrong.

·
Couch rallyist!
344 Posts
>When rally entry fees were $50, that was a privilege. At
>$1,000+ that ain't no privilege; it is a service that one is
>paying big money for... and there should be at least a catered
>meal and open bar at the end of it.

$1,000 entry fees are irrelevant... unless they represent $500 profit to the organizer. We all know they don't profit, so get over it!

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
>>[rally]....It's not a right, it's a priveledge.
>
>And I'm the Easter Bunny.
>
>When someone invites one into their home, that is a privilege.
> When someone pays $1,000+ a night in a hotel they better have
>clean sheets every day, room service, concierge, turn down
>service, mints, etc.
>
>When rally entry fees were $50, that was a privilege. At
>$1,000+ that ain't no privilege; it is a service that one is
>paying big money for... and there should be at least a catered
>meal and open bar at the end of it.
>
>
I am going to look at the old BBB posters I have and see if the entry fees were ever only $50. I know I set the entry fee for the first rally I ever organized about 15 years ago the same way I am setting it for the next Rallye de Paris (Nov. 25, 2006 mark your calendar). That is, add up road use fees, insurance and sanction costs, port-a-potty rental, printing, etc. and divide by the expected number of entrants.

And by the way, for the Rallye de Paris, you get not only one catered meal, but two. And an open bar. Well okay, a hot dog roast during the event and pizza and beer afterwards. The hot dog roast was started at the first event I ever organized and I've kept it.
Richard

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Jake,
Hang in there. Us old farts are still trying to figure out ways for you young'uns to continue to have fun. And you can still find many of us in the car too. When it quits being fun, I will quit doing it. But as an organizer, having a thick skin helps.
Richard

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>When it quits being fun, I will quit doing it.
>But as an organizer, having a thick skin helps.

Richard:

And as a Steward, having a second layer of skin helps.

Doug Woods

1 - 20 of 30 Posts