Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
I haven't looked at the Northwest forums yet so I might be repeating what is there, but here's the scoop from my vantage point.

The roads were fun. The surface was pretty smooth but with lots of crests and yumps. There was no snow. The sand/dirt surface was very easy on the tires. Purgatory pass was an excellent stage with lots of elevation change and tight corners. There were a few fist sized rocks (especially at the edges of the road) to keep us on our toes.

There were some long high speed sections in the stages but they were not boring (left 6 over blind crest into right 5+ 100 jump) keeps my attention. The elevation was high and it was apparent that the car was not getting the usual amount of oxygen. I'm sure the normally aspirated cars could feel the elevation even more.

We had a tiny overall lead after 3 stages on Saturday, but then the tranny was failing and we chose to DNF so that we would not damage it further. Dave Clark, Jason Grahn, and Gary Rea put in our spare tranny (thanks guys) and we were ready to start on Sunday.

After 20 miles of stages on Sunday, we were enjoying tight competition with approximately 5 seconds separating the top three cars. We were in 2nd place going into the 3rd stage (an 18 miler), but a couple miles into it we thought we had a flat. When we found a good place to stop and change it we discovered that we didn't have a flat but we had some very interesting toe due to a cracked left front A-arm that was flexing. Maybe I had stressed it at Wild West. We decided to shortcut back to the pavement at the spectator area because it would not have survived much more abuse.

Congrats to Sutherland/Beavis and Kosmides/Dillon for the wins. Thanks to everyone who made this event possible.
Dave
www.hintzbrosrally.com

·
Registered
521 Posts
Also check under CRS..

Here's a link emailed to me this morning,www.speed-pics.com

I need to go back out to the stages to make sure everything is in good order, thankis to all those who worked and those who did believe and came out for some fun.

·
Registered
186 Posts
> We were in 2nd place going into the 3rd stage (an
>18 miler), but a couple miles into it we thought we had a
>flat. When we found a good place to stop and change it we
>discovered that we didn't have a flat but we had some very
>interesting toe due to a cracked left front A-arm that was
>flexing. Maybe I had stressed it at Wild West.

You guys too? You know Paul cracked an A-arm at Wild West, right...

http://www.rallytales.net/WildWest05/A-arm.jpg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts