Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reno – My View

I wanted to thank all of the people that helped make the Reno Rally happen last weekend. There were many people from all over that helped Dave put the event on including John Forespring and the entire PNW crew (too many to mention) and Pat and Denise McMahon (sp) and many others I didn’t mention. Thank all of you for making the event a great one.

From my seat the roads were great, fun to drive, lots of variety from way too fast (111 MPH for an extended period) to highly technical twisty roads, jumps and a few gotchas. The sandy surface was easy on tires, I ran the same set all the way and they were well used when I started.

I flew my car higher and farther than ever before – for those that were there it was the biggest jump on the first stage just before you started into the canyon. We didn’t lift at all for the jump and took off and I thought we were history. We made a perfect landing at the bottom of the hill right in the apex before we started back up the other side. It was a real WOW!

On the fast center section of the 2nd stage we ran several times was faster and took more testosterone to hold the throttle open than I had ever done. We reached our top speed of 111 mph as mentioned above for a long time as we kept up with the 6 R and L, the occasional 5 I dropped off the gas but man it was REALLY FAST. We had the 32 mm restrictor for Group N, we would have a higher top speed with a 34 mm, that thought is really scary.

Also I though it was very cool for the organizer to give next year’s entry fees as prizes when you won you class for each day. I wish more organizers would do that. If you missed it too bad, put it on your calendar for next year, it was REALLY FUN!!!

And a special thanks to John Dillon – he did a GREAT job with the notes.

Ralph Kosmides #22 Group N

·
Registered
868 Posts
Ralph,
Congrats on the win. It would have been nice if we could have been swapping stage times with you longer. For us it was fun while it lasted. I bet a guy on a Caterpillar could create a few sharp corners in that long fast section of stage 2. I don't think we hit 110 MPH, but it would have been possible if I hadn't been lifting for crests and kinks. How did you like Pergatory Pass? Maybe we could run it both directions next year.
Dave

·
Registered
521 Posts
"Maybe we could run it both directions next year"-it's already in the plans. Not sure if a few turns added are possible but a nice idea worth looking at.

The idea for free entry in the following years Rally an idea stolen from the Regional/Club Rallys at LSPR presented by Auto Value. A year ago Dave Cizmas and I won in G2 and were awarded entry in this years Rally at LSPR and it impressed me enough to carry it on in Reno.

This year is a learning year for myself being a 'Rookie' Rally Chairman and a year of proving that the Reno Rally is real and back to stay. It would not have happened without the help of Pat, Denise, Kevin, John F, Neil, Laura, the entire RA staff, and a host of others that believed.

It is hard to sell a idea when a Rally such as Reno has been shelved or misrepresented so many times in the past. Even with the issues brought up by the forced date change and no budget, we beat the odds and from what I have heard everyone had a good time and loved the roads. I'm a racer myself and want to work at making this one of the Rallys that racers look forward to every year.

There were some bumps along the way but nothing that can't be solved. The foundation has been set and now it's time to improve and build for the future.

Again, thank you to all the worked on this event and all of those who believed and came out to play.

David Hackett

1 - 3 of 3 Posts