Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sick. I've got a thing for the Renault R5 (LeCar in the
states), specifically the front drive, non-exotic car.
I'm looking for information on the cars rallied in the
70s and 80s. I've got a good runner and am planning a replica
of sorts for street and rallycross use.
Any Help? Abuse?

Thanks,

Dennis Grisez
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
86 Posts
No direct help for your question, but I do have a friend w/a LeCar(or "Leaker" as it's affectionately know...)setup for autox(he usually prefers to rallycross his pickup).

He lives in Springfield, IL. If you are interested in discussing R5 *tech*, I'd be glad to put you two in contact.

Pete Gossett
Central IL Region SCCA Rally Chair
CENDIV RallyCross Steward
89 VW Jetta #42
93 VW Corrado/42GS
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,013 Posts
You are clearly insane. But then there's a whole industry in Europe around racing Citroen 2CVs. I used to have one, and the morning commute seemed like a pretty serious compeition in that, so maybe you're not so crazy after all.

Of course I'd like to meet the man who has any single LeCar panel that will not vapourize into a cloud of rustdust upon impact with, uh, a fingertip.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
There was a fellow that ran a Renault Cup (R5) car at Tulip & Sunriser in the mid eighties. The car was from the road racing cup. I don't remember the drivers name, but the navi was Jim Young from the Akron OH area. Maybe Paul Jaeger will remember them.

Chuck Ashton
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please, any contact with anyone with experience messing with these cars is appreciated. I've heard of the Leaker, didn't know who ran it. Email is [email protected]

The shell of the car I bought is surprisingly rust-free, and so far
the bits I've had to remove haven't been rusted solid. Pays to
source cars with a southern history!

Dennis
 

·
straight at T
Joined
·
2,472 Posts
>Please, any contact with anyone with experience messing with
>these cars is appreciated.

I noticed Frank deKat just signed up on Special Stage - he'd be a good person to talk to as he probably still has a garage full of Renault bits, even though he seems taken with Audis at the moment.

BTW, when the timing chain tensioner on an R5 breaks, bits fall on the road - you can ask Frank how I know this ;-).

Adrian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
183 Posts
a little info.Engine; inline 4 cyl, overhead valve, turbo. Capacity;1397cc. Max Power; 160bhp. Trans; 5 speed man, rear wheel drive. Suspension; independant with coil springs and wishbonesfront and rear. Brakes; discs all round. max speed; 124mph. Rear; 58 inches wide.produced 80-85 stuart
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
Your not breaking new ground here and should be able to find help.
The factory rallied these in front wheel drive as the GT turbo, and did very well so there should be information. I'm sure that the cars were run naturally aspirated as well-definitly in France national and club events. The car should be a pretty good toy and handle fairly well as it's mid engine in both forms of drive RWD/FWD.

If you do a web search you'll find several R5 clubs and fans-many in GB which have tuning parts and could make suggestions for rally I would think. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Back in the eighties Marak Buranski out of Poland (I think) ran one here in the states and his crew cheif and car builder was a fine gentleman from Brooklyn Mich named Terry Palmer. My last contact with Terry was about 5 yrs ago.

He now lives in Sommerset Center, Mi, and is always happy to talk about rallying.

He might still hang out on rally-l and might even visit this site though I am not sure.

dave mulder
 

·
straight at T
Joined
·
2,472 Posts
>
> Your not breaking new ground here and should be able to
>find help.
> The factory rallied these in front wheel drive as the GT
>turbo, and did very well so there should be information.

They also rallied the car with a normally-aspirated Alpine motor (R5 Alpine).

>handle fairly well as it's
>mid engine in both forms of drive RWD/FWD.

???? Last time I checked, the FWD R5 had the engine up front. I wouldn't call that mid-engine. The RWD R5 Turbos had the engine where the rear seats should have been, but everything else had it in the conventional location.

Adrian
 

·
400 flat to crest
Joined
·
5,777 Posts
>>
>
>>handle fairly well as it's
>>mid engine in both forms of drive RWD/FWD.
>
>???? Last time I checked, the FWD R5 had the engine up
>front. I wouldn't call that mid-engine. The RWD R5 Turbos
>had the engine where the rear seats should have been, but
>everything else had it in the conventional location.

Last time I checked, the fwd R5 had the timing cast and pulleys jammed up into a dent in the firewall, and moving forwords from the firewall we next come to bellhousing then differential then at the front of the car we see the gearbox.
Now if the entire engine is in the front but aft of the front spindle, I think you might call that "front mount mid-engined".

Last time I check into Sean "Saywhat's" rwd R5 turbo it sure looked like the engine was agianst the rear bulkhead and the rest of the stuff was behind it.
(you have just said the motor was mid but "everything else had it in the conventional location" Really, the motor mid mounted but the trans behind the grill up front in the "conventional" location?? Whew that makes for news for me, but I've only poked around in two of the rwd Turbo cars.)
I think you could correctly call the rwd version "rear mid mounted"
>
>Adrian
And to the original poster, have fun and get used to 360s and 720s, the cars are short and while they may have been OK as asphalt cars on typical French "D" roads (which are sooooooooooooo narrow that when spectating Monte Carlo, we could average about 35 mph despite driving as flat out as possible)(and I have driven tens of thousands of miles on all sorts of French roads, rally roads are narrow and tight)
for Norte Americano (ou rallye en Nord Amerique) the roads are long, wide and fast.
Faire le pirouette trois fois chaque virage!





John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/
 

·
straight at T
Joined
·
2,472 Posts
>>>
>>
>>>handle fairly well as it's
>>>mid engine in both forms of drive RWD/FWD.
>>
>>???? Last time I checked, the FWD R5 had the engine up
>>front. I wouldn't call that mid-engine. The RWD R5 Turbos
>>had the engine where the rear seats should have been, but
>>everything else had it in the conventional location.
>
>Last time I checked, the fwd R5 had the timing cast and
>pulleys jammed up into a dent in the firewall, and moving
>forwords from the firewall we next come to bellhousing then
>differential then at the front of the car we see the
>gearbox.
>Now if the entire engine is in the front but aft of the
>front spindle, I think you might call that "front mount
>mid-engined".

So I've found out - It is mid-ish engined in a typiclly French sort of way... ;-) Apparently this is why timing chains on the R5s don't get a lot of attention - something about them being jammed up against the firewall...

>Last time I check into Sean "Saywhat's" rwd R5 turbo it
>sure looked like the engine was agianst the rear bulkhead
>and the rest of the stuff was behind it.
>(you have just said the motor was mid but "everything else
>had it in the conventional location"

Note the wording "...everything ELSE had..." i.e. all the other R5 variants...

Adrian
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
>And to the original poster, have fun and get used to 360s
>and 720s, the cars are short and while they may have been OK
>as asphalt cars on typical French "D" roads (which are
>sooooooooooooo narrow that when spectating Monte Carlo, we
>could average about 35 mph despite driving as flat out as
>possible)(and I have driven tens of thousands of miles on
>all sorts of French roads, rally roads are narrow and tight)
>for Norte Americano (ou rallye en Nord Amerique) the roads
>are long, wide and fast.
>Faire le pirouette trois fois chaque virage!

Even with the blown stock dampers and the typical lack of any
roll control, I'm already having a blast. The car will be
principally for road use, and for screwing around in the snow.
Will probably rallycross it and maybe autocross, neither with
any hope of being competitive. I'm counting on the "not a bad
time considering..." thing to last me a while!

So speaking of dampers, if anyone has any advise on a reasonably
priced brand of damper (4 corners of coilovers under a grand, at
least that's what I'm shooting for) I'd be glad to hear it.
There are Bilsteins available from France, though a long way to
go, and there is Carrera. I'm running into "we have nothing for
a Renault" from most other companies. Doesn't seem as it should
be all that hard if I'm willing to provide measurements. So far
only Carrera is willing to build something up in my price range.

Thanks for the help so far!

Dennis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,550 Posts
You are looking for trouble.

Actually there was a body kit that bolted over a Plain Jane R5 that made it look just like a R5AT.

I have a lot of memories with the R5ATs, at one point I had two sitting in front of my house and building fiberglass front bumpers was a weekly necessity. What do you want to know about them ?

Cheers

M.Samli
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
366 Posts
>>>>
>>>
>>>>handle fairly well as it's
>>>>mid engine in both forms of drive RWD/FWD.
>>>
>>>???? Last time I checked, the FWD R5 had the engine up
>>>front. I wouldn't call that mid-engine. The RWD R5 Turbos
>
>So I've found out - It is mid-ish engined in a typiclly
>French sort of way... ;-) Apparently this is why timing
>chains on the R5s don't get a lot of attention - something
>about them being jammed up against the firewall...
>
I wouldn't say it's typically French. If the engine is located behind the front axle and in front of the rear axle it's mid engine regardless of which axle is driven. This would be true no matter who manufacturers the vehicle.
The "Le Car" is front wheel drive with the gearbox/transaxle at the front and engine behind it mounted longitudal-Therefore it would be considerd midengine FWD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
At least one USA company had the engine behind the driven front axle in 1929, vis: Cord L-29 out of Auburn, Indiana. But I don't think you'd want to rally one of those beasts...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
768 Posts
- Yes, you are sick...but not the only one:



- This is my old R5 Turbo rally car, bought from a Swiss rallyist and donated (sponsorship) to Timo "Turbo" Lehtimaki in Finland who built it to a MONSTER:
- Toyota 503E IMSA GTP engine (2.1 liter), mildly boosted gives 880 HP on gas or +1000 HP on alcohol
- Leyton House F1 7-speed tranny & diff
- Leytom House F1 front & rear "pull-rod" suspension
- Leyton House brakes, up-rights, steering, etc
- Cossie rear wing
- Custom 2000mm wide body kit (max width according to rules)

- This car lays down rubber (14" wide rear tires) on ANY gear at ANY speed (up to 220 kph). Handling? What handling? What's that??

- BTW - Car's for sale. Call or Email me if interested in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, someone asked what I want to know. That took a few days to figure out, really.

What I'd really like is a preserved naturally aspirated or fwd turbo car to climb around and measure to see what stock items work and what's worth redoing. Next best thing, I suppose, would be a source of photos, articles, maybe even setup info. Any leads on that sort of thing would be appreciated.

And I guess best suited to this forum would be info on who ran the cars, where, and what sort of record they had related to finshes, retirements, etc.

On both the hardware and the history I've been running up against it on the web. Any good hints on where to find this stuff?

Finally, I'm about to replace the dampers and convert to coilovers, and I need some advise on wheel rates (I'll have to calculate to
spring rates unless anyone has numbers for R5 conversions!) but I'll
take the hardware stuff to the construction forum.

Thanks,

Dennis
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top