Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
M.S., I think what Andy came up with was a composite of the previous thread's opinions. Yours is one of them and you (as do we all with an opinion) think you are right.
on to the next thoughts...
Is rally a made for TV event with cars going as fast as possible so that a promoter can collect money to provide the spectacle or is it an enduro done for the satisfation of the participants - or both or neither?
Here's my take - we have an organizer crisis, a worker crisis, a road use crisis and a few others too. On top of all of these problems, how can the drivers dictate the format? If Recce is impossible for an organizer to comply with, is that rally not held?
Here's another thought...
When CT announced full recce, did all the recce proponants immediately enter that rally?
rz

·
2,953 Posts
I'd like to start by reminding everyone interested in recce that Cherokee Trails is having recce and it is just two roads.
Unfortunately, it is the same date as Defi.
---
Now for some rebuttal.
1st point:
quote from response #8
"so that we can have a homogenous sport in line with the rest of the world. "
Is this the required/stated purpose of rally in the US?
If so, that's the first I heard of it.
If we in-fact do want to mimic WRC rules and proceedures, maybe they'd better get there's done first, otherwise we'll be changing the rules weekly to keep in step.
point 1a:
with Jemba being used in other parts of the world and increasing, who knows what "the rest of the world" will be using in 10 years.
http://hem.passagen.se/jemba/
(US, Sweden, Norway, New Zealand)
point 2:
I know in road racing, every form of European-style formula has been rejected or adapted to US use.
F1 - Cart/Irl
F3 - dismal turn out for umteenth time
other chassis were adapted from F2 to make Atlantics and Lights
-- LeMans - (IMSA) needed US involvement to get going again
Touring cars died afeter a couple years which gave us Kurt.
---
My point being, if a youngster wants to go to WRC, why do we all have to suffer and pay for it?
If I wanted to go to F1, I'd move to England and do FF, Opel, etc. and that's what the Brazilians that run Barber Dodge do to get into CART.
I did recce at CT and it was nerve-wracking but informative and interesting. Not to mention time-consuming and expensive. I'll do it again at Defi and have a better understanding of how it works but to expect to do it all year at every event does not appeal to me.
Jemba solved the problem of learning roads in a consistant manner while I was new to the sport, much better than tulips.
I hated tulips when starting out because it took half the rally to know what the writer was thinking and get his style figured out (then I learned more than on person wrote tulps for some events and that scared the s#*% out of me all over again).
If an event wants to incorporate recce, fine, that's their perogative and I'll do it but I can't see making it a requirement for holding an event.
rz

·
2,953 Posts
RE: recce

Thanks, JV.
Jeffery and M.S.:
I'll run anywhere I can afford and talking in circles is all I can do, I just drive and enter these things and I just do what I'm told (usually). What someone needs to do is get with organizers and see if THEY want to take it on for an event or even just a stage.
Being out west, you both have a hard time going to the two recce rallys Sept. 6th that are already planned and that's too bad.
My thought is that if its allowed, recce would have to be at least attempted by all competitors as it is as unfair as a 2-hour service or 2-minute dust window for only the top teams. Some teams save money by not buying Jemba notes but I tried a stage without them and it was horrible, we got beaten badly on that stage.
I don't know if the real reason for Jemba was because of bad tulips but I was all for them because of the brits effectively cheating by using their poti and maps. Tulips were inconsistant and evil but having a legal way around them that was not universally accepted or supplied stunk.
rz

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.