Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
The only problem with doing it by parade is there is often times when you want to stop and look at a corner when pace noting. Having just done a full pace note rally recently, there are times when setting the notes, that the driver wants to stop and think about the exit of one corner and the entry to the next, is it a Into, or an And, or is it a 50 to the next, all that depends on the speed the car is carrying out of the corner. Sometimes you want to get out the car and look at the inside of a corner to see if you can cut it,is there rocks, stumps or irrigation pipes on the inside?

If you did it by parade you may lose that. One of the things the club here is looking at is getting one individual to pre-reccy the event, writting full pace notes, but then still allow reccy's with those notes so each crew can adjust the notes to suit their needs. As I understand it, the person they are looking at bringing in to do this can provide notes in a variety of standard methods. Having these notes will reduce the time required to reccy, but not the need for each crew to drive through.

·
Registered
95 Posts
First off I never said the driver took 10 minutes at every corner.

Most events around the world as I understand it, provide a reccy period on each leg. The time of which varies from event to event, but for example lets say 4 hours (8 am to 12noon), There is a check ins and outs on each stage of the leg, you are allowed only two passes through each stage (possible 3 on tarmac)which have to be completed within those 4 hours. The process is repeated on each subsequent legs.

There is also open reccy's, which is what we do here. Once the route book is released you can reccy as many times as you wish. There are stewarts roaming the stages to ensure there is no speeding or dangerous driving, being caught doing either is exclusion from the event.

·
Registered
95 Posts
No problems

We mostly rally on tarmac here (Barbados) and getting the roads closed for the event itself is pretty hard. Trying to get them to close it for practice or a "parade" style reccy in addition to the event would be really pushing it with the gov't. Which is why we use the open reccy style, between the regular police, and stewarts, speeds are kept down to the posted speed limit for the most part, plus there is oncoming local traffic. Additionally being a small Island you can resonably be anywhere on it, so it is hard to restrict competitors transiting stages in non reccy periods, so the easiest thing to do is just make it legal for everyone.

We definetly have geographic advantage over the US so it is not a issue with getting time off work etc. Having said that, my wife and I are looking at moving back to Canada, where distances between events, and getting time off work etc, will become a problem and maybe I'll apprecate the issues better.

Sean

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.