Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
uhm... Mike??? just what exactly is The Cheetah? Maybe it's me, but it kinda looks like a Dodge Aspen? is that true? or am I just seeing things. Maybe it's all this sun we're having today that's affected my brain.

OH... I've got a little suprize for Mad Mike... I'll try and post it tonight.

Paul K
Web Czar
www.oregontrailrally.com

·
Registered
286 Posts
Omigawd...it still lives...

Yes, it's a Dodge Aspen (it's still got those 1978 Michigan plates on it!), but the resemblance stops there.
Fiberglass body. NASCAR-style tube frame. 10% engine setback (to adjust the timing, you jumped in the car and flipped up the grille that covered the radio speaker...personal eyewitness testimony here).
Four wheel drive (check photo above...those are Olds Toronado wheels on the front!). An engine note that would give the collective membership of The Sierra Club, Greenpeace, and the Democratic Party instant heart failure.

Legend has it that S. Harvey Sr. (who was a special products engineer at Chrysler) was looking to put something a tad beefier than his Colt on the rally trail. Somebody with contacts in the upper echelons heard about it, a few hasty conferences were called, and one day Scott came to his front door to see a semi-trailer loaded with parts in the street. He was told "Have fun...". The torches were lit, and awhile later there was a whole new animal unleashed on the rally circuit. (A fair amount of the parts were actually test items for a full-size Plymouth Fury 4wd police interceptor that was eventually built in limited number for the Michigan State Police.)

In the late 70's, I was sitting high up on a rock wall at the finish control of the last stage of Sunriser. The sky was just turning blue, and there was almost enough light to see without flashlights etc. There had been the standard blatting of hopped-up 510's, various British whatnots (this was the era of the Triumph TR8), submarine SAABs and a few others...but then came this unearthly unmistakably American V8 thunder...pistons the size of quart milk bottles...carburetors with bores the size of a sewer pipe...it seemed as if someone had missed the return road at the local drag strip and was taking the fast but long way back to the pits.
The Cheetah (I didn't know it had that name until much later) came around the last bend, every light shining (including the swivelable spotlight on the roof), singing a basso profundo that was truly testosterone-boiling in its scope. As shagnasty as the Hairy Canary and Mike Hurst's Mustang sounded at full song, there has NEVER been anything to compare with the sound made by the Plastic Fantastic.

Please, Mr. Harvey Sr...can you bring your toy out to play? There's some real nice roads up Houghton way...we miss you...

:7

·
Registered
103 Posts
>give the collective membership of The Sierra Club,
>Greenpeace, and the Democratic Party instant heart failure.

I like that idea! hehe

Happy Motoring

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
Thanks Mad - you did a nice job with what I provided.

>"Colts & Cheetahs & PorkChops, oh my ..."

uhhhh.... PorkChops? Is that some sort of slang for the fine breed of German sports cars?

Two points to be made here: 1) I enjoy the tail end of more than just cars and 2) that pylon did not die! If you look closely you may see the tires deflecting due to high cornering load (even in the wet). I was in a four wheel drift at the time and cleared the cone by a calculated margin.:)

Thanks for posting all the shots - now if I can just get MY web dude to catch up with everything I keep sending him.;)

Scott
www.teamharco.com
Team Harco Motorsports
"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

·
Registered
286 Posts
>2) that pylon did not die! If you look
>closely you may see the tires deflecting due to high
>cornering load (even in the wet).

What tires were you running for conditions, the Goodiers or the Hoosyears?

>I was in a four wheel drift at the time

TRANSLATION: "I lost it about an hour ago...wonder when we'll stop sliding?"

>and cleared the cone by a calculated margin.:)

Calculated my (expletive deleted)...less of a calculation and more of a SWAG with a generous dollop of luck, I'll bet...

>Scott
>www.teamharco.com
>Team Harco Motorsports
>"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

Hey...if I could rag on yer daddy back then, I can do it on you now...
:7

·
Old Fart
560 Posts
I see the new Colt has the (I believe it was called a "Throttle spring bracket") running between the front stut towers that the car had the second night of the 1973 POR. For those of you who weren't around, strut tie bars were illegal unless homologated. Scott Senior's car went through tach and started the rally without the strut bar. Evidently it was installed for the rougher stages on the second night of the POR. This was observed and a stewards action or protest was filed. Scott maintained that the strut bar was a throttle return spring bracket, which was an allowed modification. The stewards didn't agree and Scott was disqualified out of 2nd or 3rd place.

I am writing this from memory so some of the details might be wrong. But I think I got the gist of the story correctly.

Paul Jaeger
Old Fart who remembers those days of yore.

PRIMO Stage Crews
For a Good Time, Call PRIMO!

·
Registered
117 Posts
>2) that pylon did not die! If you look
>cornering load (even in the wet). I was in a four wheel
>drift at the time and cleared the cone by a calculated
>margin.:)

Hmmmm, usually when one is in a four wheel drift, one tends to look in the general direction that the car is moving...you must be a really good driver if you don't even need to watch where you're going! :7

Will MacDonald
1968 Volvo 144

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
>
>Hmmmm, usually when one is in a four wheel drift, one tends
>to look in the general direction that the car is
>moving...you must be a really good driver if you don't even
>need to watch where you're going! :7

Sorry Will, but proper driving technique is to lead the car with your eyes - looking where you want the car to go. This is exactly what is happening in this picture. I am already committed to the turn (in the photo) by sliding around the cone that is just off the right front of the car and am now preparing to increase the angle of attack to the right (my right, where the course goes). If I were looking in the direction the car were moving I would not be able to see the next turn.

And yes thank you for the compliment - but I do watch where I'm going.:)

Scott
www.teamharco.com
Team Harco Motorsports

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
>>"Colts & Cheetahs & PorkChops, oh my ..."
>
>uhhhh.... PorkChops? Is that some sort of slang for the
>fine breed of German sports cars?

Por-shah = PorkChop!

Main Entry: porkchop
Pronunciation: 'pOrk-chop 'pOr-shah
Function: noun
Etymology: Mad Mikeism - in constant use since overhearing a comment from a competitor of Peter Gregg's at the 1977 Hallett IMSA GTU race weekend. Mostly used by MM when instructing at PCA hot lap days.
Date: 20th century
1 : the fresh or restored German sports cars with mostly air-cooled engines
2 : a cut of swine prepared as food

>Two points to be made here: 1) I enjoy the tail end of more
>than just cars and 2) that pylon did not die! If you look
>cornering load (even in the wet). I was in a four wheel
>drift at the time and cleared the cone by a calculated
>margin.:)

Uhhh ... It's wet - there's plenty of water coming off the insides of the tires - appears to be enough velocity. OK, I'll buy that.

Halley ...
http://www.realautosport.com
"Honey-dos on Sunday, Go back towork on Monday" :(

·
Registered
49 Posts
I'm glad you like it. My 'Stud Bug' sits here at work above my workstation and servers. It keeps company with my two Mini Cooper S 1275s and my Ford Escord Cosworth model.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Okay, the front skid plate is if Mr Halley overestimates the size of ye olde cojones, the back one's for the gas tank, but what's the little one in the middle for?

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
RE: WinkTimber.com is proud to share ...

Re picture above: Taken before the invention of color film, clearly;-)

Re the strut brace on the Colt (Paul)- The argument was that is was used as a "motor mount" to restrict the excessive motion of the engine. Motor mounts were free - hence the argument.

Scott
www.teamharco.com
Team Harco Motorsports

·
Registered
49 Posts
it didn't show up well in the photo, but the little middle plate is really a gravel deflector, it attached to the bottom and then angles down at ~45degrees to keep gravel from pounding on the fuel tank.

I was working with cardboad from the side of the model box so it is a little clumsy, but you get the idea.

I've got something kinda like it on my Honda to keep the exhaust pipe and spark arrestor from getting clogged up with mud.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts