Special Stage Forums banner

Real Life Rallyist needs our help

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  VWRX 
#1 ·
Although Kevin Has never competed in a rally in the U.S., what he is doing in Iraq is pretty much the closest thing to real life rally that I have ever heard of. Although it sounds scary, it also sounds really cool! "They usually travel at high speeds (often at night through heavy dust)". Sound familiar?
Thanks, eh!
Dave
www.endurancerallysport.com

This is a e-mail I received from his wife.
Hello Everyone,

This past Saturday I got to speak w/Kevin, who is stationed at Camp Anaconda, Iraq. He is in charge of the ?gun trucks? in his unit and has already successfully completed several missions. The gun trucks provide protection for the other vehicles in the convoy (anywhere from 20-70 vehicles) which include other military vehicles along with unarmored civilian contractor vehicles. Kevin rides in the lead vehicle. When I spoke w/him on Feb. 3rd, he said he needed 6 high-power spotlights to search underpasses, bridges, etc. because they travel at night ? sometimes driving 24+ hrs straight. Friends and family of ours purchased them, and he now has one in his possession and 5 more on the way.

When I spoke with him this past Saturday, he said they also need bullhorns/megaphones. They usually travel at high speeds (often at night through heavy dust) and they need something really loud to alert other vehicles/people in the way. He says they?ve already had a few close calls. I was able to locate a few companies and get quotes on 6 units. Tomorrow, I will make the order and put it on my credit card so they can be shipped directly from the dealer (and get there quicker), and they will all be the same type, which is what he requested. These units have a megaphone, siren and a fog horn, so I feel even though they are a little pricier, they are worth it.

As the total for these 6 units (plus S&H) will be around $700, I would welcome any donation you can provide to help defray my cost. Right now, he needs these more than candy and snacks. And of course, these will benefit the entire unit and help make their missions a little bit safer.

Many people have asked me why our Government does not supply them with what they need ? I wish I knew the answer to that. Apparently, the Army is supposed to be providing spotlights, but they are on back order and may not show up for several months. I have no idea if they had planned on providing the bullhorns, but I?m not going to wait and find out.

Kevin does not know that I am making this request, and I don?t feel all that comfortable doing it, but for those of you who wish to help ? this is what we need help with right now.

Please keep in mind that I understand times are lean for everyone, so I will certainly not be offended in any way if you choose not to donate.

Thanks for taking the time to read this message.

Sandy Burns

W8170 Wells Grade Road

Sagola, MI 49881

email: sandy(dot)burns(at)uplogon(dot)com

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Although setting up a paypal account would be quicker, it would cut into the money that Kevin and his unit would be getting for equipment, also, I was hopeing that a few of the rally shops would be willing to donate some equipment (lights, HID would be really cool, horns, etc.) as well as money.
Normally I would not do this, but Kevin is a kick a** individaul who would give the shirt off his back, to help a stranger. He is a 40+ year old reservist who was shocked when he was pulled into active duty.

Dave
www.endurancerallysport.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.