Special Stage Forums banner

Do you think Robin Hood Rally (RHR) is detrimental to the sport of Rally

• Rally is Rally including RHR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, RHR is not detrimental to the sport of Rally.

Votes: 0 0.0%
41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
There has been a history of similar events starting many years before Travis' parents were likely born, let alone Xgames.
Pikes Peak Hillclimb 1916 til present.
La Carrera PanAmerica 1950-1954. 1988 to present.
Cannonball Run 1971-4 times total
One Lap of America 1984 and up
Silver State Classic 1988 up
Targa NewFoundland 2001 til present.
Of the ones I know on there, most are run to some kind of standard with a rulebook and safety regulations of some kind.

If it weren't for rally's current popularity, the producers for RHR would have never conceived of or attempted such a race. So I stand by it being a direct result.

·
codriveur
1,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Xgames.
Pikes Peak Hillclimb 1916 til present.
La Carrera PanAmerica 1950-1954. 1988 to present.
Cannonball Run 1971-4 times total
One Lap of America 1984 and up
Silver State Classic 1988 up
Targa NewFoundland 2001 til present.

I'm sure more than that.
I came after the unsanctioned events, I know nothing of the Silver State (gonna look it up),

The difference without writing a page of perspective and done off the cuff without thinking because...well... it is obvious to me is TP et. al. /xgames is a marketing lesson. Realy there is a machine behind TP that needs it to be...TP. Period end.

Anyone who thinks RA used Travis is a fool, it's Travis's machine (not he himself) that needed an outlet that in the end used Rally. If he didn't have the skill or stones people would be all over him/them about it but the reality is TP is an amazingly nice guy who can kick everyones ass and as such kept THE empire running. Good for him/them, some good for RA, and for the rest we have the flat billers left over. If you know that, then it is ok. If it bothers you're off to the resentful camp.

RHR is a flatbiller spinoff that has as noted placed themselves parallel to rally in name and location. Usurping the brand, resources, and good will of established events with what is an event that threatens the viability of the events progenitors to the point of extinction.

It is that and only that.

·
KB-AG in WRC? Awesome!
702 Posts
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/98369904.html

This item came up in the news today. Found it post worthy to this thread (re: Bullrun):

Car Rally Nets Six Speeding Tickets in Nebraska
High-end cars clocked between 91-106mph on Interstate 80.
Several drivers of high-end cars who spent the night in Omaha as a part of an auto rally ended up with speeding tickets in western Nebraska.
Several coworkers came up to me today and said "Hey, you hear about the rally in Omaha tonight? Race cars, etc?"

Ha. Thankfully we don't have to worry about organizing an event here!... "500L > 1R - Opens, long 500 L > 1R - Opens long....repeat x4...."

Update: Dad just called, he went to Lincoln today to visit grammy and had his doors blown off by these hooligans.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Outlaw events, money, cars, speed are a part of Americana. It is part of our heritage.

As noted in someones earlier post in one of the threads..we don't own the word rally. The real ralliests (TSD) could have made all the same complaints about proRally back in the day. There were always events before there were sanctioned events. Sanctioned or unsanctioned has little to due with safety or danger. There was a death at Pacific Raceway this weekend. Sanctioned drag race . Stuff happens. I worked the Ferrari Rally a couple years ago in Oregon. That had about a $5k entry and 50 or so Ferraris running from Mt.Hood to the Oregon Coast. TV, newspapers, police choppers, squad cars, big tickets. Rich 'douches' everywhere...some of the nicest people I have met in a motorsport event. Not a peep on SS if I remember right and nothing to do with the X Games.

It is unfortunate that the RHR people kind of stepped on toes using some of the areas they have, but it is a capitalistic country and they legally can do so. It is a business enterprise. The detriment to rally may be nothing more than someone getting sued over their actions or words...

Give them a chance to improve their game, maybe we can end up a beneficiary of their efforts.

·
The Scorpion King
679 Posts
... The detriment to rally may be nothing more than someone getting sued over their actions or words...
True, but since events like the Silver State Classic got brought up, I can give you a very concrete example of how poorly executed events can cause problems. There was an event that was intended to be much like the Silver State Classic planned for a town outside of Phoenix a few years ago called the Gila Monster Open Road Rally. Apparently, there was some confusion on the part of the county DOT on the nature of the event, and the permit got pulled the day before it was supposed to start after an article appeared in the local paper. Now I'm having a very difficult time even getting in the door to talk to them (regardless of the fact that I am a taxpayer in the county). Many of the surrounding counties have either permitted events in the past, or are at least willing to discuss the possibility if I can come up with a suitable set of roads, but bureaucracies tend to have very long institutional memories, and once bitten...

--
John

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
That had about a $5k entry and 50 or so Ferraris running from Mt.Hood to the Oregon Coast. TV, newspapers, police choppers, squad cars, big tickets. Rich 'douches' everywhere...some of the nicest people I have met in a motorsport event. Not a peep on SS if I remember right and nothing to do with the X Games.
Notice. You didn't mention any accidents, almost wiping out people because of poor planning. THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE!

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Notice. You didn't mention any accidents, almost wiping out people because of poor planning. THAT'S THE DIFFERENCE!
Could have been though, that's the similarity. I'm not for a second condoning such events, especially where open roads and unlimited speed is concerned. Merely pointing out that such events have always been around and blaming Xgames for RHR is somewhat silly. We grew up with Gumball Rally, Speed Racer, those old Tony Curtis movies, Death Race 3000 and so on. Might as well blame Jake and Viennas split on Xgames as well....

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Might as well blame Jake and Viennas split on Xgames as well....
I'm relieved that I had to google that to know what the hell you were referring to. I still have at least part of a life. :p

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I do not know why you all are complaining ..................the cannon ball and gumball rally are the same thing.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
No, one was a movie only and the other was a real event made into a movie.
Actually one was a real event made into a movie that has now morphed into a more legitimate event, while the other was a movie that spawned a set of events with the same name.

And then there is Rendezvous...

Adrian

·
Spectator Wrangler
831 Posts
To clarify for the youngins if I'm correct, by open you mean open top (convertible) cars, not open class.
Correct. Perhaps I should have said soft-top. Kent could be correct, that all cars had to have a roll bar. Cages were first required for soft-top competitors- say 1976 and then expanded to all. We had to stop running the 124 Spider when the cage requirement came. Not that that was a bad thing, mind you.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
RHR is the bastard child of Bull Run (the TV show) and One Lap of America. Scariest part is it has more in common with performance rally than x-games!!!

41 - 54 of 54 Posts