Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I could have given you my congratulations for your win this weekend on the other tread speaking of the Challenge but I felt like this was cool subject title, don't you ?

Randy Zimmer you rock ! Congratulations for your win this weekend and thank you for not giving up on me on saturday morning, you are an awesome teacher and please don't hate me for not always listening ;-)

Next year will plenty of fun too, but with a much better formula this time around !

Julien Pilon
Lachute Subaru

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>Randy Zimmer you rock ! Congratulations for your win this
>weekend

I just watched the television coverage on RDS.

It is clear why Randy won. He was so much smoother and in control than anyone else.

The guys on the motorcycles are nuts, but fast, fast, fast.

Doug Woods

·
Registered
233 Posts
The coverage was OK, but it didn't look so spectacular as, I'm sure, it was. I think some in-car shots would add a lot to the TV show. It looked kind of slow with these camera angles and fields of view.

Congrats to Randy!

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
>The coverage was OK, but it didn't look so spectacular as,
>I'm sure, it was. I think some in-car shots would add a lot
>to the TV show. It looked kind of slow with these camera
>angles and fields of view.
>
>Congrats to Randy!

Eagerly waiting to see taped version of the show, which didn't air in US.

As for "didn't look so spectacular," well, the issue was a significant lack of grip running hellfire rally cars on street studs on an ice track so slippy that the corner workers wore crampons. Smooth and tidy was WAY faster than sexy-sideways...as rz proved conclusively.

"Kind of slow"?? no surprise there, given the fact that there was crappy grip and solid frozen bodywork-eater snowbanks. Still, the battered condition of many rally cars after the race showed that the drivers went as hard as they could. Top speed was just over 100 kph at end of long sweeper and short straight that led into a greasy tightening-left-into-hard-right combo.

So just how slippy WAS it out there? While flicking around the hairpin, the Terratrip indicated we were going 40 kph...except that the car was sliding backwards at the moment! rz showed everyone how much faster it was to drive straight thru slippy tight bends instead of big swinging Swedish flicks.

The spectacular part was when rally traffic bunched up. Four cars in a train, everybody knowing that they had no grip and that nobody else did either, yet still going for it totally. The skill of the pilotes helped ensure there was less trading paint than there might have been!

The announcer kept calling the race "le bataille sur glace" -- the battle on ice. In a 300-hp rally car running street tires, maybe it would be more accurate to say "bataille contre le glace" -- battle AGAINST the ice. rz's non-turbo car (and his smooth driving style) was ideally suited to the lack of grip. We turned the boost down on Cassidy's car to stock levels, which helped a whole bunch. It was a classic case of "to go faster, sometimes you got to go slower."

Still, the Challenge sur Glace was a total blast no matter what ya call it.

Cheers,

Dave G
www.lastditchracing.net

·
Registered
233 Posts
Just to be absolutely clear, my comments were meant only to highlight how poorly the show captured the rally part of the event. It just didn't LOOK that spectacular or fast. I said nor implied anything negative about the drivers or the event itself etc. I know the reasons for the lack of apparent speed etc. Because my French is poor to non-existent, I didn't even think or know the rally cars were on studs (even just street studs). I thought the first laps they showed on TV were some sort of 'track familiarisation lap' ! So sue me!!! It ain't my fault.

They REALLY need to have some in-car footage. I bet it would be a blast to see that persepctive.

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
Craig,

No offense.

We were really - really slow and one reason I went along with the shortening of the event was thinking of the fan's boredom watching us slime around slower and slower each lap.

The rubber of the tires was very soft and as it heated up the studs just hid in the goo or fell out.
Racing the last few years rubber-to-ice was good practice.

Eric thought he had a pretty good place to watch and as you may know, I'm a real fan of in-car.

rz (irock)

edit alog = along

1 - 10 of 10 Posts