Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The real time results link doesn't seem to have any results. The news link has top 10 after 7 stages or something...is that all there is?

Anyone out there who can give us the skinny? Workum still leading in the Autosport Eng. car?

·
Mä meen vittu sinne!
6,058 Posts
>Amy
>of Amy and Claire
>
>

Not at all on topic but, who's Amy and Claire that you're Amy of? Also thanks for the link and congrats to Victor and Abel of our region that are sitting 2nd in GN and 5th overall.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
RE: Ramada Express? Winning time 1 hour 9 minutes!

Winning time was 1 hour 9 minutes! How many miles was the rally? Either not too long or very high average speeds!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the link to the Rim site. On the rally's site www.rallyusa.com it says "Ramada Express Live Web-Cast" and beneath it says "The rally is over. Thank you for watching. Webcam is closed check out the photos." Was the Web-Cast up and running? Did it work? I missed it. Also, the only photos I could find after some digging were of the "adventure rally," not the actual rally.

Congrats to Peter and Alex and the Autosport Eng. team.

edit..nevermind. Found the photos.

·
I am not here anymore
2,798 Posts
RE: Ramada Express? Winning time 1 hour 9 minutes!

>Winning time was 1 hour 9 minutes! How many miles was the
>rally? Either not too long or very high average speeds!

When they did up the notes, they discovered that weather had made one stage road (10 miles long and run in two directions) unusable.

Then, when we did the recce on Wednesday, the 18 mile Grand Canyon North stage was very very sloppy because of snow that had been on the road and melted. Also, have a bunch of recce vehicles drive through the mud resulted in deep ruts. So, that stage, also run in two directions, was also lost. However, we got miles back because they added a second run through the first stage on Saturday (16.7 miles).

Friday was 22.6 miles. Saturday was 49.9 miles. Sunday was 6 miles.

alan

·
Achievement Unlocked!
891 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Before this "No spectating" gets out of control let me clarify something. Fridays stages didnt have spectator areas because it was the first year the county allowed us to use those roads. They, the county reps, asked that we not have spectators. Saturdays spectatora areas were on the stages that got cancelled. As for no one being in the tent, well if you show up in the middle of the day Friday during the rally, how many people do you think youll find when everyone is out running the rally?

·
Achievement Unlocked!
891 Posts
Hey that's fine.
I understand that there may always be stipulations with road use and insurance for spectators. Even with cancelled stages you had the ability to handle spectators at locations on Saturday. (This is good!) I'm not blaming Ramada for the decline of rally. I'm suggesting that you could do better in this area.

You guys make it sound like I'm (we're) asking for a huge deal. When you head out to stages - leave a pile of 8X10 flyers that have:
1. A map to any potential spectator areas. (map on web site too)
2. Current times and information on the stages. (already on web)
3. [strike]A pony.[/strike]

I showed up Friday night. I was in that tent a number of times throughout the weekend. I got 2 copies of the 2003 flier. :)

Thanks,
Kris

http://www.rallynotes.com

·
Registered
672 Posts
Kris,

Fair enough. You've got some good suggestions.

We got hit hard with the last minute course changes with a complete reroute for Leg II. The prepared spectator instructions were trashed and time didn't allow me to get them rewritten. We chose to fall back on the 2003 program with the color maps and directions you were given. Last year's message from the Arizona and Nevada Governors was a free bonus! We elected not to do a program this year allocating these resources to other areas.

We'll try to do better next year but we'll never be able to move the Grand Canyon to make our roads more accessible to the public. What's a pain for spectators is a blessing for organizers and security blanket for our competitors. Ryan's earlier post give some further insight in to our other reasons for limiting spectator access to portions of the route.

This is a real dilemma. For the sport to continue we need to protect the stages from unplanned and unsupervised access to the stages by spectators. At the same time, we need to improve our exposure and visibility. We've taken one of many directions. That is to bring the rally out of the wilderness on to the Superstage for the public while controlling and limiting access to stages. While this might upset some diehard fans that want to trek out in to the woods, we feel it is the best interest of our competitors and the sport. If we don't have the resources to protect and control the public, we have no business inviting them out on to the stages.

Thank you for attending. Please come back again.

Ray Hocker
Clerk of the Course, Ramada Express International Rally.

·
Registered
83 Posts
>>Amy
>>of Amy and Claire
>>
>>
>
>Not at all on topic but, who's Amy and Claire that you're
>Amy of? Also thanks for the link and congrats to Victor and
>Abel of our region that are sitting 2nd in GN and 5th
>overall.

Hey Grant!

Thanks so much! This was the first event I ran my new
Group N car in. She ran so well :)

I'd like to thank everybody for all the encouragement I was given
on stage. Really nice to hear.

-Victor

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Naked under their Nomex ...

>>Amy
>>of Amy and Claire
>>
>>
>
>Not at all on topic but, who's Amy and Claire that you're
>Amy of?

http://www.realautosport.com/pics/AmyClaire.jpg

Amy (behind the wheel) and Claire Marie (not behind the wheel) ...

Rally women, naked under their Nomex ...

Halley ...
RWD and normally-aspirated ROCKS, let's get it on in Group F!
http://www.realautosport.com

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Sounds like you managed to have a rally when all the gods said "No"! Having been at LSPR this year when things turned nasty, I know you were faced with a very difficult situation. I'm glad to hear things turned out OK. The competitors seem to have appreciated your efforts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Bring the rally out of the "wilderness" by running super specials for the fans? This is a terrible idea for the hard core fans and for the general fans and for the maybe fans and for the future fans. The appeal of rally is the challenge of racing through the woods, not racing around a stadium. If I want to see stadium racing I will not pay for air fare, hotels, rental cars, meals, other contributions to the local economy and will spend $12 to go to the local dirt track. If the is the future of North American rally than I fear for the sport. Might as well join the SCCA in CircusRally!

I know that there is a no speccie contingent that would love to run rallies without the "troublesome" spectators - but in my opinion they are just wrong. I cannot run a car due to the time limitations of my day job which requires extensive travel - but love rally and will do anything to support rallies which allow me the enjoyment of watching others overcome the challenges. Remember that those roads (except for those on the reservation) are my roads too (generally speaking) and you are asking me to allow you to use them for your entertainment. Don't cage me in in some stadium in return. Reasonable locations which are safe - yes CircusRally - NO!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>...join the SCCA in CircusRally!

CircuitRally vs. CircusRally.... hmmmm... "CircusRally" might stick. I like it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I think it is that sort of attitude that has led rally to its current state. As far as I'm concerned, there will be no substitute for forest rally, however it will probably survive better and get more attention on the coat tails of the "CircusRally" if it is promoted properly. We are the next generation of Ralliests, my trust fund is non existant, so I depend on sponsors, which depend on the non existant media, which is due to people like you who prefer to keep the rally lifestyle and technology burried in the forest somewhere! The Ramada Rally is on the right track!! There is room for both, the kids and spectators will respond to the Circuit Rally, and those who get interested may persue Forest rally... you should be thankful for this potental blessing! Or just let the sport die off when you do....your call. sorry for the attack, I am just suprised at the flaming a good idea can get you. If you wish to bring up SCCA, yes, their manner/wording in their press releases are embarassing, for them, but their concept will work, probably not with the 45 year old average the Rally segment of SCCA has, but it will fly with the next generation. Chances are you hate your kids music....but they love it to death!

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
SCCA's rip-off

>I am just suprised at the flaming a good idea can get you.

There is no reason to be surprised. SCCA ran rally into the ground, divorced it without notice, and now wants alimony in the form of CircusRally. Some people are upset about it. Me? I jumped off the SCCA rally ship as it was being scuttled, but before it sank.

Regarding your comments about ages: There was a saying in the late 60's "Don't trust anyone over 30". It was BS then, and remains BS.

What was going to happen with PRO RALLY starting in the fall of 1998 and ending this year was pretty clear in 1999. What is going to happen now with SCCA, RA, and NASA is anyone's guess. It will be interesting to see what happens.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts