Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Ramada event cameras and rally radio are up and running at www.rallyusa.com. Be sure to catch the podium cam as Seamus crosses at 8:31 a.m. Pacific.

·
Registered
555 Posts
First off, very neat! I watched my regular codriver Alan Ockwell go over the strat ramp from home, COOL!

Is anyone there that can update us on stories? I see that it looks like Verdier/Ockwell are out...What happened??!? x( Whats wrong with Seamus??

Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
724 Posts
been listening to the rally radio for over an hour and there has not been anything of interest just commercials and bad music, the text messaging though was a nice hting and has worked perfectly I got stage times after the first and second stages. Really wish the radio would tell us something as the cars should be in the first serive right now.

Verdier was stuck on stage two I found our from talking to people in service.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Now the radio program has someone come one say testing a few times and now I am just hearing a bunch of background noise Like the forgot to turn off the mic?

Stephan was stuck that is all I know I am not sure if he went off or if it was mechanical. He is running a Blue subaru bug-eye courtesy of Autosport Engineering. Not sure who's car it is but I would guess that it was Wyeths old group N car perhaps?

·
Registered
724 Posts
now they are broadcasting instructions to some GPS units and telling people I assume the JAOS adventure people where they are supposed to go, I have to tell you listening to this is still better than listening to the music they were playing. We are now a few hours in and not a single word about the rally :(

·
slow is slow....
792 Posts
Actually, I think it's Higgins old AV Sport car painted Red....according to Stephan.

He went off the road and according to his service crew (prior to them seeing the car) it sounded like he broke some front suspension bits.

Andrew

·
Registered
724 Posts
IF that is the case then that car was owned at one time by Patrick Farrell (spelling?) and Workum drove it at Rim 2004. Still have not haerd anything of interest on rally radio other than bad music and some instrucitons on how to use a GPS I have to say that the radio thing is a total let down at this point.

·
Registered
64 Posts
>First off, very neat! I watched my regular codriver Alan
>Ockwell go over the strat ramp from home, COOL!
>
>Is anyone there that can update us on stories? I see that it
>looks like Verdier/Ockwell are out...What happened??!? x(
>Whats wrong with Seamus??
>
>Thanks for any info!
>

Seamus had a lower boost hose split .5 mile into SS1, so he had no boost.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Just checked in with Rally radio and guess what it was a solid tone once again no information how utterly useless a total dissapointment.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Hey don't give up man, the cams were cool and I'd have been all over the txt updates if I'd been in the country. (Heck getting stage times up on Whistler / Blackcomb would've been da bomb!) So the radio didn't pan out this time... it was a neat idea, totally worth trying again.

Ian. :)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
> It's folks like you that make this seem soooooo worth the
>effort. Ample reward for losing a week's wages and a week's
>worth of sleep. It's all very clear now.
> Will we see you here next time to help fix what's wrong? I
>know there will be plenty of opportunity for you to show us
>how it's to be done right.
>
> Jay Deacon
> soon to be ex-volunteer

Jay,

No good deed ever goes unpunished.

Don't get discouraged, it's people such as you that will give rally a brighter future.

Your detractors are in the minority.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
Jay, don't give up and thanks for your work. There are always people who are unhappy with something, unfortunately the internet seems to give them a bigger voice, don't listen. Volunteers are our most valuable resource, no volunteers,no rally...simple as that. Gene

·
The Scorpion King
678 Posts
>>Just checked in with Rally radio and guess what it was a
>>solid tone once again no information how utterly useless a
>>total dissapointment.

> We had limited material to put into the pipeline for you this
>time.

Jay,

Please don't confuse frank criticism of results with criticism of your personal efforts. From a completely detached perspective, the two comments that I have clipped out are saying the same thing. The most difficult problem that "live" (whether that be streaming or simply text updates) coverage of rally has to deal with is getting information from remote locations. Scoring information via the web is something that is very useful to someone following the rally. Text messaging the scores was a very cool concept, and in an area where there is actually cell coverage at the rally, would really be helpful to teams. What nobody has been truly successful at dealing with yet is getting supporting information out. For instance, the first thing that I thought when I say the Stage 1 scores coming in was "What's wrong with Seamus's car?". When a car doesn't complete a stage, I always wonder why, and especially if they are a personal friend, I would really like to know that they are OK. If a car is slower than expected, did the team just spend a little too much time partying the night before, or is there something wrong with the car?

Most people are only willing to give up their nights and weekends, plus a few days here and there to work on a rally. Giving up a whole week (unpaid) is an effort to be commended, its just that the cart may have been a bit before the horse in this case. Besides, the real question in all of this is DID YOU HAVE FUN? If you are volunteering, that is what it is all about!

--
John

·
Registered
135 Posts
Jay
Could you put up your home phone information, I'd like to talk to you re your posting? As usual, RZ was right...hang in there.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts