Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a cell phone report from a very noisy party at Rallye de Paris. I hope I understood most of it correctly. Co-driver's names are at www.rallyengr.com if you don't know who they are. Awards not made yet at time of call.

Texas Star 17 Start, 12 finish
Open: Utecht (1 overall), Schmidt (3 overall),
G2: Bailey (2 overall), Bushmore, Moser
P: Carapetyan (4 overall)
PGT: Strawbridge, Malsom
G5: Halley, Justus

Paris by Night 13 start, 13 finish
Open: Utecht (1), Schmidt (3), Smith (4)
G2: Bailey (2), Bushmore, Moser
PGT: Malsom, Strawbridge
G5: Halley

Another good, safe rally by Juanita and Richard Miller and friends.
Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, they had the radar gun again this year. A few were amazed at the speeds being recorded. From what I heard, the faster cars (thru the spectator area) were not the ones you would have expected. Don't think there were any triple digit speeds thru spectator, but there was a back stretch that most definately would have produced max speed for all drivers.

This was my first time as a worker (course radio op), and it was a great thrill for me. I will most certainly return for future rallys.

I also wished I was out there running, but for me I had my own personal spectator area, which kept me totally involved in the event. I'd like to think that someday I could do this full time and work all the US rallys.....

Jerry

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
First, thanks to all the workers, competitors and sponsors. Special mention to the workers from volunteer organizations such as the Powderly Fire Department, Paris EMS, Red River Valley Amateur Radio Club and the Fannin County CERT. And the sponsors include the Texas Army National Guard Camp Maxey, Paris VCC, Pitcock Towing and Home Depot.

And thanks to Steve our next door neighbor and dog sitter who had a turkey dinner ready when we got home this evening. We skipped the turkey on Thursday to pack for the rally.

Because of the great worker corps, the event ran smoother than ever before. Juanita even got to co-drive with me in Car 0. Speaking of driving Car 0, this was the first time to try the new Mustang at speed. It is going to be fun having a car that can spin the rear tires at will. And by the way, I spun out for the marshal crew at Radio 1 location just to entertain them. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Results have been posted on www.rallyengr.com. Photos to follow. Any one with good shots, please send them to me in low resolution but save them in high resolution in case SportsCar wants to use them (and pay you money for your photo).

And as this was the last SCCA performance rally, the party might have been called a wake. But it was great wake. Many of you were missed but we drank a beer for you any way. The name of the last two stages tell the story. The penultimate stage was titled: The End of SCCA Rally. And the final stage was: Onward to the Future.

Again, thanks to all.

Richard and Juanita Miller

·
Registered
4 Posts
Would be nice to also have radar on the long back stretch. Maybe that is something to plan for, for the next Rallye de Paris. I'd sure like to work that stretch and do some video with radar captions.

Nice pic of Utecht!! I was so impressed with how he attacked the corner where I was stationed, always exited centerline and at full speed.

Great job Mark!!

Jerry

·
Straight at T
221 Posts
Mark and I hit 97.1 on the radar stretch. I KNOW we were in triple digits somewhere on the stage.

...what a ride!

·
Registered
4 Posts
We hit 92.3 on the radar stretch and we scrubbed off a good amount of speed just before the spectator area. Definetely some triple digits along that stretch.

·
Loose nut behind the wheel
1,074 Posts
I would also like to thank all the workers and organizers. This is, was and most likely always will be one of the most laid back, fun events I have run. I don't know what else to say about the event other than I will be back.

I also want to thank our crew, Mary, Mike and Erik. I'm glad we didn't give you much to do.

Thanks to Breon and congratulations on your first overall win.

I also want to say I am very proud of winning the last SCCA Club/Divisional/Stage/Performance/Whatever Rally.

To the (now) ghost of the rabbit on stage 6, I told you not to stay there.

·
Just another Subaru
786 Posts
>I would also like to thank all the workers and organizers.
>This is, was and most likely always will be one of the most
>laid back, fun events I have run. I don't know what else to
>say about the event other than I will be back.

I agree...

The event may have been the smoothest run event i have ever ran.

The barrels at the corners made the rally, I feel one of the safest events I have ever run.

even with the first night stage where I was trying to run with Utecht(like I had a chance) I knew where the corners were even though where all the dust was.

I hope you have both events next year I will be at both.

The roads were fast enough to be fun and not be super scary.

Erik Schmidt
Open 413

·
Registered
117 Posts
Despite my bad luck, a very fun rally. A big thanks to Richard and Juanita and everyone else who made the rally possible. I just wish I had more than my 1st stage time. I'm glad the brake failure happened at paris though. Anywhere would have been a disastrous tree encounter. I can now add putting a car into a pond onto my list of mishaps before the age of 20. :+ I look forward to 2005 to mess with the big boys. (Now to beg on the street for money to repair broken rally car)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts