Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know anything about this event?

Rallye Classic Maroc (Morocco)

http://www.rallyeclassic.com

http://www.rallye-maroc-classic.com/mediac/400_0/media/DIR_56611/TitrePrincipal.jpg

I found the website and it piqued my interest, so I'd like to hear what people think of the event and/or historic regularity rallies in general.

Meanwhile, are there any other events worth considering where:

a) a 1960's era vehicle is required
b) the roads are paved
c) the speeds are brisk, but the car prep doesn't require a roll cage

Thanks,

Bill Westhead

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
It appears a roll cage is the least of one's concerns....

http://travel.state.gov/travel/morocco.html

"....the potential for violence against American interests and citizens remains high in Morocco."

"All U.S. citizens are urged to consider seriously their personal security and to take those measures they deem appropriate to ensure their well-being."

"Up to date information on security can also be obtained by calling 1-888-407-4747 toll free in the U.S., or, for callers outside the United States and Canada, a regular toll line at 1-317-472-2328. These numbers are available from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays)."

"Some travelers have been befriended by persons of various nationalities, who have offered them food, drink, or cigarettes, which are drugged."

Bring lawyers, guns, and money!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Bill,
You might want to check out Targa Tasmania and I think that there is a similar event in Australia (Classic Adelaide?). These are similar to the Targa Newfoundland event which I that you competed in this year. Also check out the Classic Monte Carlo rally.

Steve McKelvie
Co-Driver Targa Newfoundland #903

·
www.christianedstrom.com
2,144 Posts
>It appears a roll cage is the least of one's concerns....

You're joking, right? Morocco is as safe as anywhere else.
Morocco, Libya, and Tunisia get millions of tourists each year, including lots of overland drivers, motorcyclists, and cyclists. Morocco alone has had more than 3 million tourists this year. As long as you keep your wits about you like in any place you're unfamiliar, you'll be fine.

Algeria, alas, is regrettably still perhaps a bit dodgy, especially south of Tamanrasset.

But the Warren Zevon reference is much appreciated.

- Christian

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
With the uncertainty around stage rallying in the US (ok, I know we now have a 2005 schedule), TSD rallying is starting to look more interesting again.

I'd love to see a multi-day historic TSD in North America.

·
Flat over crest
303 Posts
>With the uncertainty around stage rallying in the US (ok, I
>know we now have a 2005 schedule), TSD rallying is starting
>to look more interesting again.
>
>I'd love to see a multi-day historic TSD in North America.

The Press On Regardless rally has, in recent years, crammed 650 miles into two days. That's a lot of mud, sweat and gears. There is a class for vintage cars. We hit a peak of about 8 - 10 vintage cars back in 97 and 98. It would be nice to see it return to that level of interest with the vintage crowd.

The 2005 edition (57th running) is planned for Sept. 9 and 10 (Friday, Saturday) out of Gaylord, Michigan.

Scott
www.teamharco.com
Team Harco Motorsports
"Win on Sunday, Sleep on Monday"

1 - 8 of 8 Posts