Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Those of us in Cendiv & St. Louis who have been promoting rallyx in our areas, have started an in-depth discussion of standardizing rallyx classes in our part of the world. You can find it here: http://www.rallycabal.com/cgi-bin/cutecast/cutecast.pl?forum=2&thread=243&page=1

We would really like to hear from the rest of the country, and see what insight we can gain from everyone else who's been through this.

Pete Gossett
Central IL Region SCCA
Solo-2 Chair
93 VW Corrado/42GS

·
Registered
689 Posts
Here is our problem in Vegas. We get 18-25 cars so having say ten classses doesn't make sense. When we started 4 years ago we ran Stock , 2 wheel open and 4 wheel open. What we found is Pro Rally drivers could show up in "borrowed" cars with an Auto tranny and win outright. This ended the argument that it wasn't fair to run turbo cars vs non in open etc. We are allied with CRS so we now run thier classes for street. The idea of Rally-X cross was to get people interested in Stage Rally , my feeling is that we should use Rally Classes.(Production G2 G5 O4 etc.) If you go to a local Auto-X most folks run special Auto-X tires (yes I know many regions run a daily driver class). We do not allow A-mod cars at Rally-X becuase SCCA wanted this to be a stepping stone for Rally, so trying to apply Solo II rules to these events doesn't seem to make sense. Rally is one of the few motorsports that a good driver can win in lesser equipment so I would try and keep it to no more than five classes. As far as tires go used rally tires can be had for as little as $20 a piece so having a seperate tire class doesn't seem to make sense either.
Now if Rally-X became a stand alone type of event like Solo II then I would run it exactly like SOLO II!!!

My .02 cents - Tom Grossmann Rally Chair LV Region

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
> Now if Rally-X became a stand alone type of event like Solo
>II then I would run it exactly like SOLO II!!!
>

Hmmm, I just kind of figured that since Rally-x is becoming so popular(from what I've seen, anyway), that it was just natural for it to become it's own type of event. Not that it couldn't/shouldn't still be a feeder for Performance Rally - IMO, that is still an important part of it. And in situations like your region, with smaller turn-out at events, I think you're right about keeping minimal classes. It seems like most of us(in this part of the country) are looking at 35 to 60 car fields, though.

I like your comment about the Pro drivers in borrowed cars w/autos.;)

Pete Gossett
Central IL Region SCCA
Solo-2 Chair
93 VW Corrado/42GS

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Here in the PNW (or at least in OR) the classes are just like the SCCA rally classes, but aggressive tread tires (winter, rally, mud) push you out of P or PGT into Open. (but they are allowed in G2/G5).

http://www.oregonrally.com/rallx_rules_classes.htm

I don't think Pro Rally drivers showing up and beating everyone is an issue. The whole point is that it is a driving competition.

The events I have been to (many) the pro and club rally drivers do well, but tires are always the big differentiator. Even within a class the prep level of the car didn't make much different either (e.g. stock 2.5RS on rally tires does just as well as a club or pro level prepared open class car)

We do water the courses - sometimes between every run so the grip levels are a lot lower.

ORG puts on very well organized and enjoyable events, and the class structure seems to work just fine.

Glenn

·
600 /CR !!! R2>
450 Posts
In the NE, we separate it out like this, and it seems to work well:

- Modified 4WD
- Stock 4WD
- Modified 2WD
- Stock 2WD
- RWD

Rally tires automatically put you into modified class, but you can run snow tires in stock. Other than that, the difference b/tw Mod and Stock is essentially the same as Prod /Prod GT and G2/G5/Open. E.g., exhaust is free, suspension is free but coil-over conversions put you in mod, etc.

An example rules/regs are here:
http://www.teamoneil.com/prx.htm

--
JP Rowland jeremyrowland -at- mac.com
Visit my boring web page: http://homepage.mac.com/jeremyrowland

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wonder if we can get everyone who responds here and/or at the RallyCabal thread, to provide a copy of the rules in place at their events (or at least a link) AND information about, or the results of, their past events. Knowing the actual numbers of competitors in each class as well as overall in the event, AND any "special" entrants like "dirt track cars" (for example) may provide even greater insight. It would be great to see what everyone else is doing, what success they are having, and how many - and where - all the competitors are.

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
SE-DIV (yes Division, because we only have two regions actively participating in Rally-x at this time, Chattanooga and Huntsville) will likely be adopting the following classes:

1. Production Street Tire (to allow folks who are just starting to run without worrying about capital outlay).
2. Production GT Street Tire (same reason).
3. Then all the ClubRally classes (P, PGT, Group 2, Group 5, Open).

I note that the SCCA rules on Rallycross suggest just the 5 groups.

Wilson von Kessler
Chattanooga Region SCCA Rally Programs Co-chair

1 - 7 of 7 Posts