Kind of takes away from the collector value of the magazine. I'm excited about a new rally magazine in the US, but am cautiously optimistic at the same time. I hope it works out better than past attempts at similar magazines. The fact that it covers both US and international rally gives it an appeal that may carry it on further than past attempts, and the photography is to die for. Almost as good as some of Morgan's work!
Thanks Chris! Lars Gange and Ralph Hardwick are excellent photographers. Ralph shoots the WRC for Skoda as well as many many magazines. And as you may know, Lars shoots for the US Subaru Team.
I had the opportunity to hang out with Ralph and also Bob McCaffrey from the McKlein (Reinhard Klein) photo group while in Mexico. They were very nice and I learned a lot from talking to them and seeing their photos from the rally.
As a former editor (albeit of a boring legal periodical)
1. Well . . . SURE ARE BIG FONTS. .
2. No bylines.
3. No editorial statement.
4. (And this is stick in my craw) No coverage of the fledgling Rally Series of North America, while both STPR and Rim were mentioned.
However, I recognize how difficult it is to get a first issue out, and to get content for it as well.
What I would like to see:
1. Calendar of events broader than just ProRally and WRC, including divisional level rally (it would just take a page) - this would alert the rally interested public to events that they don't have to travel halfway across the US to see.
2. Some regional event coverage.
3. Letters (I'm sure this will come).
4. Maybe another columnist or two.
Just my .02, and congratulations to Ms. Bradley and the rest of her staff.
I inquired about contributing to them - an M-sport factory tour, CARS events, etc but never heard back from them. THey're probably very busy, but you'd think they'd be keen to get as many contributors as possible.
Having been the editor of a new mountain bike magazine, I know how hard it is to get a mag off the ground! Distribution, distribution, distribution! I wish them the best of luck! Never hurts to have another rally mag on the shelves.
I got mine yesterday (not today as the title explains
I'm pleased, I think for a first run they did good. I hope to see more in the future. My biggest criticism was for sure the two big stickers right on the center of the cover. Volume 1 number 1 doesn't seem quite a cool. All in all, I give my cheers and applause. Looking forward to #2.