Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This board needs a light hearted shot in the arm. Let us hearken back to the days of lots of snow, not much traffic, and a total inability to focus on school when the rally was in town. How about an informal census of MTU rally folk?

Add your name, or others you know, list below if you:

1. Attended Michigan Tech and rally has been, or is a hobby.

2. Are currently attending MTU and "minoring" in rally. I know there currently are a few up there.

Also, stories about rally life at Tech are welcome here.

Here's a start.

Jake Himes
Matt Himes
Eric Burmeister
Chris Whiteman
Jeremy Butts
Kurt Winkleman
Chuck Rudstrom
Dennis Martin
Dave Cizmas
Pete Beaupre
Jared Kemp
Jason Anderson

I know there are many more, lets list 'em.

·
Registered
117 Posts
What a nice place to go to college. The classes aren't all that bad either. :7

Major: EE
Minor(s): rallying, maybe math

Will MacDonald
1968 Volvo 144

·
Registered
84 Posts
Joshua VanDenHeuvel

Major: Mechanical Engineering
Minor: Rally

I thought Steve Gingras went to Northern?

Another question: What would you alumni like to see on Rally U's campus in regards to the LSPR? (The parc expose might be at the SDC, I'm working on that currently.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Dan Martin
Major: STC
Graduated Dec '03

Oh yeah, born and raised here too. Now I'm looking to get out! Hire me!
:7

·
Registered
286 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ahh yes, the good 'ole days at MTU/Rally U. All though I didn't go there for the POR I did find that to be one of the best times of the year to be there.

My first rally was the 1989 POR. That year it was held in Escanaba. Lurch, Mark Buskirk and I decided to take a road trip. We found ourselves sleeping in a Wisconsin rest area and pooling our money together for food and only being able to buy bread, cheese and bologna. On the way back to school I ran out of gas with no money.

[http://home.comcast.net/~motoman679/Shepherd_POR_1989.jpg]

I found this picture I took at that event. It happens to be a picture of Doug Shepherds car/crew. I didnt know who Doug Shepherd was until I met him about 12 years later. Now I just try to beat him.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Wow... those pictures are awesome. Are there anymore old pictures out there? I'd like to see some from the 70's. I like that POR banner too... there is talk around here of trying to make a banner or starting blocks for the LSPR.

-Josh

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Gail Truess (nee Hoult) - Forestry

press on,

·
3,909 Posts
By your loose criteria, I might qualify (even though I never went to class there - unless the old Library counts - and that is where I first met the Minnesota bunch, at 2am).

My first exposure to rally was crewing for the 1974 POR. I have been to every POR (um lspr ?) since then in some capacity.

The plate on my Volvo says "POR".

I have 2 sons at MTU. Their birthdates are July 3, and August 10 (you do the math).

press on,

·
3,909 Posts
POR

>>
>>The plate on my Volvo says "POR".
>>
>Are you sure that isn't just a vanity plate with bad
>spelling, POOR }>

Well, a guy who doesn't really know rally or me, asked me if those were my initals or if I was just poor. badda boom.

press on,

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
RE: POR

>>>
>>>(and Club Rally chairman in training - 11 Sept 2004 - Cadillac, MI)

Except for the fact that all organizers are always in training, this can hardly be said to be true any more.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Ahh yes, spent many a year attending "classes" at that fine institution.

First POR was 1987 (Dodge Charger 2.2) Yes, I was the driver. Started working POR in 1982.

BTW, Steve did not go to Tech. Close though, he is from that other school up there. NMU.

Oh, one more name to the list: Andy Dobrot (sp?). Ran POR '85.

Bill Westrick
Available Co-Driver At Large
& CFR Chief of Controls

·
Registered
156 Posts
I first heard of POR while at MTU in '84. A friend said they were going out to watch the POR and explained what they do. All I could think was, are they Nuts?, they do what? in the middle of the woods? in the middle of the night?
It wasn't until '89 that I went to first Rally and found the answer, Yes, they are Nuts. I've been involved ever since.
In '94 I was Chairman for the first LSPR that would make this year the 10th Anniversary. How should we mark that milestone?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've been involved ever since.
>In '94 I was Chairman for the first LSPR that would make
>this year the 10th Anniversary. How should we mark that
>milestone?

Put that dang brockway jump back on the stage and someone is bound to try and fly 2004 feet.

Or just go club only.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts