Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Need ride. Please send money.
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all drivers/codrivers/workers of SnoDrift. Lurch, Doug Havir/Rally America & I are spearheading a filming of the event to prove theory & form for future coverage of our sport.

We will be creating a flyer for distribution at registration, as the nice S*D folks gave permission to include it as part of your packets. This will summarize what we are up to, and the best way to help make yourselves and all of us look our best.

Lurch will be roaming the service areas with a camera or two following him, locating the best stories, most interesting battles, and generally poking a friendly stick at everyone to get fun, informative, interesting schtuff. This will be sort of "inpromptu interviews", but very informal. Please find him if you have a story. ALso, please remember to practice being direct and concise.

I believe Lurch is going to give a more detailed heads-up here too.

Further, any team with in-car video can submit it to us within 5 business days of the rally can have it included in the footage. Please understand that we cant use ALL of it, so if you can cut it down some, or have it set up at the correct spot, it would be MOST helpful. Those of you I have emailed regarding this already, I will send you a reminder & details.

Also, we hope to have a couple of people immediately outside a control at the end of a few stages to do quick interviews. We will try to be in a position where you will have more than ample transit time, and we wont take but a couple moments. You are not required to stop, but we cant get you on camera if you dont...

Please feel free to email me directly regarding any questions/concerns. Also, please give any suggestions you may have, as this is a pilot, and we need to try new things out.

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Thanks for posting, John.

Members of the community, I am a rather tall dude and will likely be wearing a navy/black North Face parka (and a hat...its cold up here!) I will be found in the Lewiston service area on Friday and the Atlanta HS service area on Sat. I plan to check with the Rally America van regularly to gather info from scores, etc. to try to find some battles in the field.

I will have a dry erase board on the truck so if I am not there when you come looking for me, just write your name and car type/color and a VERY short (couple words) desc. of your issue/problem/story/triumph/etc. (ie broken strut, crashed heavily, 3 flats on SS3, or bee in my shirt.) and I will try to find you. A quick directional of your location would be good, too. (NE corner of service, Eastside of main St. halfway down, etc.)

Also, have a designated interviewee. If the driver is shy, that's okay, have the codriver do it. Or if the team has left service to head back to the stages, designate someone on your team/crew to speak to us, please.

I can't promise to honor every request and I surely can't get to all of you...and many we do get will likely get edited out...we can't make a 10 hr. film about this. We just want to make sure we get some good stories from all over the field.

Good luck and stay on the road!

Eric Burmeister

·
Registered
77 Posts
Quick thought, not sure what kind of cell coverage is out there - but maybe have a voice mail box for people to leave short status msgs on?

I've thought this might be useful for Rally America as well, but having to take the time to review the messages and then transcribe them seems like it would be too time consuming - but, if you were able to lift the audio and use it as some form of audio clip for the show, that eliminates the need for transcription.

If you had a voice mail menu system with different categories, you could break the messages into categories (status updates, DNFs, fun quotes heard, etc.) - could be time consuming to listen to them all, and with a small crew you would be limited - but it might have some use in providing a bigger overall picture of the event direct from competitor's mouths.

Rob

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We will also have at least one crew at the award party in a side room getting interviews from all competitors/crew/workers who have something to say, and possibly a crew at the finish control, as you hand your time card in. Like Eric said, we will be editing this, but still try to be concise. You will have a better chance of getting on camera if you can give good sound bytes. We wont be able to take everyone's life stories, but we want everyone to have an opportunity to be seen.

There will be alot going on for us so please help us find the interesting stuff.

The awesome organizers of SnoDrift are being VERY helpful & supportive(along with putting on a great event), so please thank them lots!

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
483 Posts
Good luck you guys(gals). It sounds like you are addressing most of the items we put on our "things to improve" list from our little "Gorman 2002" program here in California. I look forward to seeing what you come up with, sound like you (all) have a good grip on the situation.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I think this is great. Rally TV by the participants; for the participants.

If these clips are taken digitally might we get daily vid uploads by the Rally America crew? That would cool

Thanks all for your continued investment into the sport.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Good luck with the project! I am really looking forward to seeing it.

Everyone has a great attitude toward the project, and I wish it success.

Good Luck-

Russ Rosendale

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanx Russ. We appreciate it!

Yes, this will be digital. Yes, although we havent talked at length about it, I believe there is intent to put a couple short interest-garnering clips on the website. www.rally-tv.com (currently pointing to Rally America).

Gotta prove that we can make it work first. If it does, we are hoping to do the remainder of the season, tweaking/refining our process along the way.

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
First off, let me just say that I think what you guys are doing is great, and I'll help out however I can. Hopefully we'll be able to provide you some boring trouble free video of us sliding easily between the trees becuz excitement at snodrift usually means slow stage times. :)

That being said, I'm just a bit curious as too your ultimate goal in this project. If you stated it earlier and I missed it, sorry, I'm just a stupid driver. Anyways, are you guys trying to:

-- create a happy fun video project that you can show friends and family

-- create a new world order of anarchial rally programming

-- prove a concept that you can then hand off to the SCCA and say "here, pay someone to do this"

-- sell it to Speed Channel or ESPN and become bazillionaire motorsports moguls like Dave Richards.

-- ?????????

No matter what you're doing, I'll support it. I'm just curious as to what I'm supporting.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

Ps. Has anybody ever tried pitching rally to Comedy Central, with a show along the lines of BattleBots. There is certianly enuf craziness and stupidity going on to qualify. How bout an ESPN X-games rally? We are the "alternative" motorsport.

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
>
>Also, we hope to have a couple of people immediately outside
>a control at the end of a few stages to do quick interviews.
>We will try to be in a position where you will have more
>than ample transit time, and we wont take but a couple
>moments. You are not required to stop, but we cant get you
>on camera if you dont...
>
>

Here's another random thought: You might wanna place your interview people at the stage start, not the finish. Leaving a stage, the codrivers all wanna GO, and get real nervous when the drivers dink around, take a leak, fix a tire, etc... Usually we end up arriving early at a stage start and sitting for a few minutes with nothing to do. This would a great time to give an interview. Not as fresh, but you'll probably get more quality responses.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
And at S*D every transit should be plenty liberal to allow a bit of wait time at each start.

So don't rush off to the next interview, lots of time to drive leisurely on the transit and still have a minute to mug for the cameras.

See ya in the Sno,
Mike

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
i agree have people at the start (if you have enough). on my frist rally as a codriver i was so keyed up that if we stopped at the finish for a couple seconds i would have hada stroke i think. at the start it was just hurry up and wait and i would have loved to have someone to tlak to while jim was taking a leak! and vece versa for him too im sure. plus we could spend the time on the transit thinking about what to say so we would sound like such a fool.

greg

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
YES. :7

Ha, seriously...

The original goal was to provide a format of coverage that *may* be saleable to a network, provided that the Speed channel coverage went away due to the manufacturers pulling out. THis may or may not still happen. I personally do not believe Speed will want it, as we would like to show more of all classes, and have no narration over everything. However, this may prove to be difficult or impossible. We need to prove it out during this pilot.

I believe the most effective way to show people a good idea is to make an example of said idea, however crude. Most people I have met that are high up in business need to physically see an idea represented to invest time/money/effort into it. I think that a real network crew & production effort could easily make something that would make our rallying look absolutely kick a** if they wanted to. It all depends on budget. The guys that did last year's Speed coverage did a good job. Unfortunatley, it didn't represent everyone as a rally community. There are SOOOOOO many more stories, battles, interesting happenings in an event weekend that may(or may not) make for more interesting viewing. It is really a matter of opinion.

We will make this pilot from our(the racer's) point of view, showing other rallyiests doing what we all love. Yes, S*D is slow. If we can make this one look cool, we can succeed at making the other events look cool. We will have surface "bullet" cameras (the kind you see shots of cars jumping over & running over), and also mutlipe cameras at one spot, not panning, to help show the speed better. along with standard sweeping angles & interviews. The interviews will be a little different in that we are going to try to make it more "Real World"-ish & less "standard race show"-ish.

Total camera count is 11(not including incars). We should get lots of hours of footage. We hope everyone can show off a little & make it interesting.

Lurch is also a great candidate(who happens to know everyone) to poke a stick at all you pro guys in the service areas & get/give amusing responses. He cant do the whole season, but we will take this one step at a time.

I also have a bumper cam on my car, and a few of you that have offered up in-car stuff.

We will have a camera at a couple of spectator spots, focusing on the spectators as the cars go by. I have advertised these locations & hope that the fans will show up & show support & yell/scream & wave flags/bells/signs/their booties or whatever, as they will be the center of the shots.

I expect this will be released on DVD thru Rally America & Rally-tv.com, even if a network has interest. We will see what happens. IF it is a success, look for us to do the rest of the season with some support. IF a network(even Speed) is interested, Great. However, neither Lurch, Doug or myself are looking to become rich or famous from this(although a little help paying for a PGT car would suit me fine). We just want to provide an alternative form of coverage to help grow our sport in any way we can, which will help all of us indirectly.

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
excellent suggestion. I had thought that getting people as they came off stages would be better, cuz we are usually all pumped up & excited, and I figured it would make for more interesting answers/comments. If I personally drive a transit & then talk, I am not as wired.

Thinking about this, I see both sides.

Hmmm...

Both codrivers I have had like me to stop immediately after a finish control to get their bearings. I am not allowed to talk to them.

But, it is REALLY boring waiting to start after a transit...

We may try both. Watch for us.

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
625 Posts
What format will you want? I have a mini DV setup for my car, but im unsure if you will want footage from a Seed 8 driver at his first rally....... Well Actually I can go pretty darn fast so you might have a good crash on tape }>

Dont forget the guys at the back :7

best regards
Larry Parker
#622 club

·
1,278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Larry-
I am looking forward to seeing you run. I believe you bought Even Moen's Black talon? Dont you work at Morris? Race a Porsche? (maybe you can find out why he sold me a road race suspension):(

We will film all we can, and will not be disciminating against road position. Please dont wreck your car trying to look cool for us though.

Scratch that- Please feel free! :7

Seriously, dont stuff it, and I guarantee you wont finish last. Dont be like the Audi TT guys last year who showed up to their first rally with a beautiful car & trashed it, only to finish behind us 2wd guys anyway. Take your time the first one.

Mini DV would be perfect. HINT- zoom it ALL THE WAY OUT, in order to get the widest angle & catch the peripherals. IT will look WAY better. Also, if you can get a filter, it'll make a huge difference, as the snow all looks really bright compared to the interior of the car. OUr incar stuff last year was useless. Otherwise,mount the camera on the dash.

JC
www.gnimotorsports.com

·
Registered
239 Posts
For in car-Check your cameras for an "AE Shift" type of function, it helps correct the autoexposure so that the inside of the car isn't what is used for the exposure setting... I think Canons have it. Maybe Sonys do as well. At any rate, read the owners manual to see if there is any adjustment for the autoexposure setting so the exterior isn't washed out with the snow...

Russ

1 - 20 of 24 Posts