Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the January issue of RACER, an article on EFR (Elliot Forbes Robinson) the question is asked of him concerning a race series he wishes he had tried. His answer states "I've done Pro Rally, Pikes Peak" etc. Anyone know where, when, he's done Pro Rally?

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts
>In the January issue of RACER, an article on EFR (Elliot
>Forbes Robinson) the question is asked of him concerning a
>race series he wishes he had tried. His answer states "I've
>done Pro Rally, Pikes Peak" etc. Anyone know where, when, he's
>done Pro Rally?

He did the '88 or '89 Chattahoochee Rally in Georgia in a 323 GTX, I believe out of the Millen stables. '89. DNF.

See http://www.rallyracingnews.com/scca/rally/chat89.html

Ben

·
Registered
924 Posts
wow, rally results w/only 2 subarus and no mitsus...
i actually spent 15mins searching on this and could'nt find anything, i need to sleep.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
1983 POR

(which incidently was won by Mikkola/Pons)

press on,

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
My memory tells me it was the 1984 event but it could have been '83. Some idiot (I will apologize in person since said idiot is still probably very active in the sport and doing very good work) made EFR start in the very back in Group 6. He made it up to the top 5 or so until a couple of spins relegated him to 10th overall. And the car was a 2wd NA Toyota.
Richard
PS: What ever year that was, as we were coming out of the woods with a broken car, we came upon the scene of a head on collision. We helped all the injured out, secured the scene etc. Three of the 4 injured were obviously going to be okay but the 4th was in serious condition. I never was able to find out what did happen. Any one in that area know any thing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
EFR was a real gentleman. He was brought in by Mazda, who sponsored the rally. It was pretty wet that year, and any of you who have run down hear on the Georgia red clay know that it turns into instant owl poop. I seem to remember that he was trying hard on the last stages, rolled, continued on without slowing his pace, and left the road for good shortly after. After the event he seemed to be truly amazed at the ability of rallyists to adapt to such conditions. He was very good as you would expect, and truly had a great time. Many of us gained a great deal of respect for him that weekend, and he for us as well.

Chuck

·
Straight @ "T"
188 Posts
Wow, EFR; I thought nobody remembered that. I co-drove for Bob Schaffner and we spent a lot of time talking with EFR out in the woods. He told me how he used to rat-race around the dirt roads in upstate New York. That was such a cool event; I co-drove POR 4 times, always placed well and never DNF'ed; I must have been good luck as those were some tough ass events. (Can anyone say Mandan Road without frustration or visions of Turner and Grimshaw on the side of the road in the "unbreakable" Scout in an earlier POR?) EFR finished 11th OA/first seed 6, we finished 12th OA/first seed 5 and the Houseals were right behind us. We got what was then (and still is) a really cool Seiko motorsports digital watch etched "1983 BUD POR" on the back for winning our seed. I know that a couple of us still have one from that event and cherish them! I wonder if Fabrizia still wears hers; I frequently wear mine.
Results at:
http://www.rallyracingnews.com/scca/rally/por83.html

Jim Blumenfeld

PS- Anyone know how to get in touch with Schaffner? I'd love to chat!
JB

·
Marketing through Motorsports
1,385 Posts
How many names do you recognize?

Wow, I looked at the results list and recognized 28 of the 60 names, and I'm still new to the sport. Quite a few of them are still active. It's good to see so many people in it for the long haul.

[hr]

[p align=right]John Dillon
John @ WidgetRacing.com
www.WidgetRacing.com

·
just another old phart
2,258 Posts
Hey, I was in that rally too! Co-drove for Larry Ward and finished 21st in what the results seem to think was a 510. Funny thing is it sure looked and felt a lot more like a 260Z. Now that I check the results, I can remember looking at EFR's 200SX up at Parc Expose in Houghton and thinking that it was a pretty decent looking rallycar.

Kent Gardam

·
Straight @ "T"
188 Posts
I'm quite sure that EFR's car was a press car.
JimB

·
Registered
48 Posts
EFR drove the BF Goodrich 200 SX press car. Hannu Mikkola filled in for JB who had picked up some sort of illness running the Ivory Coast rally with a mechanic as a co-driver to help secure Mikkola's finish at the head of the World Championship.

213 stage miles in 23 stages over 2 nights. Three passes through the Huron Mountains, at night, with black ice on one pass. Six Production Class cars in the top ten.

I think the conditions were more difficult back then, but the competition is more intense today.

·
Registered
70 Posts
RE: Rally triva (Memories of Chattahoocie)

Hey Doug,

Speaking of EFR and the '89 Chattahoochie...

I recall you and I went off (way off) on the same stage outside of Helen, GA on that Friday night. Boy was it foggy! You went off shiney-side up deep into a ravine, and I did a slow one-and-a-half roll down the mountain into some trees (just at the finish control). I remember the last I saw of my projectile-vomiting co-driver (ever) was her crawling on her hands and knees up the cliff. The next morning my crew, Dave Zep (now your crew coincidentally), found the world's-most-wicked twin-boomed wrecker truck, and we pre-negotiated a rate with the driver to drive out to the sticks and pull us off the mountain. But, on the way to our car, you flagged us down and somehow convinced the wrecker guy to pull you out first. The funny part was that Dave and I told him that you were some "famous" fully-sponsored driver and that money was nothing to you, so the wrecker driver agreed to to front-load most of our cost onto you.

Man, I hate coming clean with this, but hopefully Dodge picked up the tab on that.

Jeff Field

·
Registered
2 Posts

EFR drove the Mazda 323 GTX press car (Roddie look-a-like,) my brother and I built the robust cage - co-driver, Jim Kloosterman, was very grateful for said robust cage. Jim turned absolutely pale, literally, the next morning when he saw the sheer drop-off to the inside of the long downhill left-hander that he and EFR rolled along on the right side. EFR is, was, and will always be an exceptional talent and a true gentleman. That press car went on to a rather successful career, and additional trips on the lid, all at the hands of press folk of varying talent.

This Pro Rally is also notable for the O'Neil overall victory in a "P" class Golf. I still have the videos of that season where Tim could barely keep a straight face in later interviews.

·
3,909 Posts

No way a P car could be that fast.

>This Pro Rally is also notable for the O'Neil overall victory
>in a "P" class Golf.

press on,

·
Registered
2 Posts

A "P" Golf with a Group A motor IS that quick! Early in the year and in the mud of Georgia seemed like a reasonable locale to test the new Group A motor. Tim never guessed that all the top cars would fall off the road and, by God, that motor was pretty quick. There was no protest and, therefore, no tear-down, or even a hood lifted - the O/A win stays in the books. Tim could not wipe the grin off his face in later interviews.

faster_daddy_faster

·
3,909 Posts

Hmmm, that's not quite where I was going with that question...

Interesting.

>A "P" Golf with a Group A motor IS that quick! Early in the
>year and in the mud of Georgia seemed like a reasonable locale
>to test the new Group A motor. Tim never guessed that all the
>top cars would fall off the road and, by God, that motor was
>pretty quick. There was no protest and, therefore, no
>tear-down, or even a hood lifted -

press on,

·
Registered
50 Posts

O'Neill cannot type very well so I will respond for him.

The Golf was absolutely "P", both the 8 and 16 valve Group A cars from 87/88 were considerably faster. We tried a Quaife differential on one rally (not in the US) but decided that we did not need it to win the class.

Jimmy might want to enlighten everyone as to why his driver that year (89), in a similar "P" class Golf, declined to have the gearbox torn down after the Pacific Forest rally, leading to exclusion.

The win in Georgia came about on the last stage which was run in a torrential downpour (with the odd tornado warning). Rod Millen was leading by a mile but slid off the road early in then stage and despite various other Mazda's stopping to try to pull him out, remained firmly off the raod in the gumball.

About 2 miles from the end of the stage we caught Chad DiMarco (now in the lead) crawling along. Wiper failure in that soup was not conducive to much speed, Chad had his head out the driver's sidewindow.

The little "P" class Golf also won Tall Pines that year.

·
Registered
48 Posts

Martin,

You remind us how the depth of the field has improved through the years -- in the mid-80's running 110% of the fasest car was good for 3rd to 5th, and achievable in a P car. In the early 2000's it was good for the same, except you had to have a 350 hp open class 4x4 to do it. And a well driven P car today is good for about 120% of a well driven group N car, and nowhere near the top ten on a "normal" rally.

Doug

ps Jeff -- No, Dodge doesn't let me bill them for towing charges, its all my right rear pocket. But it was worth every penny to be first back to the bar.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.