Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow Southwest rally competitors! I am putting together a rally test and tune day outside of Ridgecrest, CA on Saturday March 28th. The event will be fully sanctioned and insurance by NASA Rally Sport as part of their new test day program. This means the event will only be open to licensed drivers and co-drivers with log booked rally cars and full safety equipment (helmets, fire suits, head and neck restraints, etc…). Expect the same safety protocols you find at a rally, as well as the standard NASA Rally Sport liability and medical insurance. In other words, a chance to get plenty of seat time at rally speeds on a closed road in a safe and legal manner. You will get multiple passes on a two mile closed course, with the option to service your vehicle between runs, or just get back in line and go again – it’s up to you. This is the perfect opportunity to shake down those new changes to your car, dust the off-season rust from your driving skills, or practice notes with your co-driver before the CRS season ramps up. This is not a competition; there will be no timing, scoring, trophies, or flair. Rest assured there will be a porta potty. A sandwich lunch will also be provided for all participants.

• $235 per driver early entry fee (by March 20)
• Entry limited to 10 drivers maximum
• Drivers may share cars, but each driver must pay full entry fee
• Co-drivers not required
• NASA Rally Sport License and Membership required
• Full safety gear required (current helmets, harnesses, fire suits, head and neck restraints, etc…)
• Current logbooked rally cars only
• 2-mile closed road on private property outside of Ridgecrest, CA
• Course loops back on itself - no waiting for a turn around!
• Sandwich lunch provided for all participants

Entry is now open: http://www.nasarallysport.com/main/event/2015-California-Test-Day-1

Early entry is $235 per driver. Multiple drivers in the same car are allowed, but each driver will have to pay the full entry fee. Car swapping is allowed, so if you want to trade vehicles with a friend and see whose car is faster that’s fine, as long as all drivers are registered entrants and the vehicles pass technical inspection. Co-driver swapping is also allowed, as long as everyone riding in the car has a current NASA license and membership and is registered for the event. Just want to get some seat time without a co-driver? That’s fine too – co-drivers are not required.

All membership and license paperwork must be completed beforehand! Be aware that NASA Rally Sport now requires a medical form filled out by a doctor in order to compete. The NASA medical form must be completed by a physician and sent into NASA Rally Sport before the event! The medical form is available here: http://nasarallysport.com/rules-forms/NRS_Form_Medical.pdf.

The test day will be held on private property outside of Ridgecrest, CA that has hosted short rallies in the past. The property owners have recently worked with the Gibeaults to maintain the road surface and it is in decent shape - not perfect but not a car breaker. The surface is primarily hard packed dirt, ruts from the recent rains have been filled, and large rocks have been removed. Please be respectful of the property owners and the local community. It is private property, so stay off the test course at all other times!

Entry is limited to a maximum of ten drivers. Payment must be received in order to secure your spot on the entry list. If more than ten paid entries are received, a waiting list will be maintained on a first-paid basis. The deadline for payment at the early entry rate of $235 is Friday, March 20th. Payment received after March 20 is $275 per driver. Drivers may withdraw on or before March 20th to receive a full refund. Any driver withdrawing after March 20th will receive a 50% refund.

Email me at [email protected] with any questions.

Thanks!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
There are three spots still open. Early entry deadline is this Friday! Don't miss out on a chance to get some seat time at speed before the season starts.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Pretty short notice, I'm epically surprised, and very pleased its filling up so quickly. :)

good work Erik, you rock! Thanks :)

my lawn ornament is unfortunately no where near close to testing. unless the test is how long can it be stationary :(

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty short notice, I'm epically surprised, and very pleased its filling up so quickly. :)

good work Erik, you rock! Thanks :)

my lawn ornament is unfortunately no where near close to testing. unless the test is how long can it be stationary :(
Thanks Alex! You need to get your car back on the stages ASAP!

I hope this event is a success so it can become a regular thing. The CRS off season is very long, so we need an opportunity to get some seat time before the first real event of the season. I know a lot of people do some major work on their cars during the winter, so this is a chance to work out the bugs beforehand instead of dnf-ing at a rally due to something stupid. Also, want to dial in tire pressures or shock settings? You can make adjustments after each run and see what works best. The course is set up with the finish right next to the start, so after you finish you can stop in service to make changes, or just get back in line. No waiting around at a turn around. Or you can work with your co-driver on note delivery. It's the same course used at the rally school for co-driver training.

I think the real fun will be getting to ride with other drivers and taking other drivers / co-drivers for a spin. I'm definitely looking forward to riding with Kris. Too bad I'm too short to drive his car (fixed seat).

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Wow that sounds Ideal. (finish basically dumping you into service which is next to the start)

and yes, poor betsy needs to see stages soon, she will get Rebuilt this year, even if i don't get to race her. We'll likely at least make it down to Prarie city Rally Sprint, and Mendo to volunteer .. so at least i won't forget what a time card looks like ... hah

and yes i think this sort of thing is very valuable to our fine CRS folk (and others who want to journey down for it) but we are fortunate to have a nice long season :)

I could almost swing at least going down for my B-day present... sorta ... but i have to buy car seats...

Pencil me in for next year though.... lol :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Can't believe there are still vacancies! Our list filled up fast with a waiting list just as long. Having the course loop so there is no turn around was the only requested change for our next test day.

Alex you need to get that car up and runnin'... oh and DI misses you. :p

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
LoL maybe I should start a kickstarter / go fund me for my rally car?

"average American works to support his family and pay his bills, wants more than his paycheck buys, please fix my car so I don't have to save up over time to return to having selfish fun racing with my friends. " :) I should raise $5K in NO TIME Flat with that Ad.... lol

this test day is an awesome idea though.. If my car was running I would Totally be there in a heart beat. great chance to ride with others and do some car swapping..

Might want to highlight a few good apps for Droid/Iphone to help with the testing.

Droid based : Trackmaster is a really good tool for testing. It can learn any "track" Ie your test lay out, and allow for setting markers to get split times. It also records Gs (left, right, forward , back ) and allows you to "replay" your run.

I used the peak G feature to help tune my tire pressure for autocross. I'm able to get 1.06 lateral Gs after playing with the tire pressures a lot, up from .92 with what I "thought" was the ideal pressure.

unfortunately I'm not familiar with any Iphone based ones (harry's lap timer maybe? not sure if that records G forces ?)

lets help those participants get as much out of this as possible. :)

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can't believe there are still vacancies! Our list filled up fast with a waiting list just as long. Having the course loop so there is no turn around was the only requested change for our next test day.

Alex you need to get that car up and runnin'... oh and DI misses you. :p
We still have slots open so if anyone who was shut out of the PNW test day feels like putting some miles on the tow rig you're more than welcome to come to CA. :)

The early entry deadline is tonight, so get your entries in!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was out there yesterday checking out the course and doing some final prep. The course is in great shape! Here are some photos so you can see what to expect.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
Are they using the 2008-2009 HDT site for the test roads? guess those road were more sandy ...

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are they using the 2008-2009 HDT site for the test roads? guess those road were more sandy ...
It's the same site, but we are only using the loop on the east side of the course that is about two miles long. There are a couple of sandy spots, but for the most part it is hard packed dirt. Mark Bullock and his team pulled out a lot of embedded rocks the past couple of weeks, and I cleared off all the loose rocks myself this weekend. :)

The reason we're not using the full course is because there is a big wash that cuts through the middle of the site that saw some heavy erosion due to the rain this winter. That's where most of the sandy spots are that you're probably remembering. Hopefully if we do this again next year we'll be able to run the full five-mile course if they can make the necessary repairs.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
It just looked like the same stage road, but after more rain (green terrain around it)

glad i'm actually remembering it was a stage road and not just "thinking i remember"

That stage is a lot of fun and should be Excellent for testing, the loop you are using was my favorite stage in the 08/09 running s. :D

Really fun twisties, places to link turns, places to track out, places to cut, places not to cut (unless you are in some sorta really big ford truck ....) :eek:

ugh life with a broken rally car is no life for me! lol #firstworldproblems :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts