Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a few rally leagues have started to allow UTV's. Has anybody raced in a stage rally?

Heading up with Rhys Millen, Stephan Verdier, and James Hill from IMG to the The Frazier Mountain Rally to see how UTV's will stack up.

Rhys is entering his desert race car with a different ride height, suspension, and tire and wheel package.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Racing was awesome. The UTV's swept the top 4 spots. Admittedly the course favored the UTV's it was technical and rough. This could bring a lot of people into rally!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To be clear the idea is not to replace rally cars, it's just to get people to come out and try rally racing. UTV's are the gateway drug to off-road racing, Rally, etc.

·
Shifting and drifting
507 Posts
MadMedia, the photos don't work if a reader is not registered/logged in at the UTV site.

This is interesting. What is the cost for a vehicle like this? What is the cost for tires? How much maintenance does a vehicle like this require between events? Do they have the capability to be registered for the road and driven above 35 mph?

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
To be clear the idea is not to replace rally cars, it's just to get people to come out and try rally racing. UTV's are the gateway drug to off-road racing, Rally, etc.
Its not rallying if its in a UTV. Same with if its on a bike.

If its not rally, its not rally. UTV's are cool and all, but I wouldn't expect this to catch on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I was a competitor in rally mekinac and I have been pass by a UTV when I was stopped (throttle stuck WO) and WOW it look great to drive, and lot of fun there

A rally like that it's in the spirit of great race like Dakar, Silk way and africa eco race

The Challenge Xtreme Elit accept UTV under NASA rules
http://cxerallye.com/

·
!!! R4>2/][
167 Posts
Its not rallying if its in a UTV. Same with if its on a bike.

If its not rally, its not rally. UTV's are cool and all, but I wouldn't expect this to catch on.
Respectfully I disagree. There have been a multitude of events on Both US Coasts, as well as in Canada with CXE that have run UTVs and bikes in the rally. Does it HAVE to be a car? UTV's use notes, have a codriver, etc... they transit and use timecards just the same. They're quick (UTVs have finished on overall podiums in multiple rallies).

Is it different? Yes. Is it cool? Yes. Is it fun? Definitely Is it cheaper? Definitely not.

Rally continues to change, and no sport stays stagnant. Rally is different than it was 20 years ago, and it will be totally different 20 years from now.

·
Shifting and drifting
507 Posts
...y Is it cheaper? Definitely not.

Rally continues to change, and no sport stays stagnant. Rally is different than it was 20 years ago, and it will be totally different 20 years from now.
How much are these things to not be cheaper than current, say $80k rally car to purchase, and to run/maintain? Also to crash and repair?

Hard to believe they are more expensive than a rally car for such minimal components, and for all of the non FMVSSness of the original vehicle.

I agree about "Rally continues to change". Used to be endurance and stamina, a big challenge and experience to go rallying. Not so much anymore.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Just to give you an idea of cost.
- brand new 2 seater rzr turbo: $25k (it can be financed)
- safety equipment required: Seat, belts, cage, nets. roof. $5k
Total: $30k, all brand new and you are good to go rally.

The sxs in bone stock trim is good enough to win.

Maintenance, aside from fuel, if you don't crash that's all you need for the entire rally. A set of tire can last you 600 miles, so you could do multiple rally with the same set. I change engine oil, tranny oil and diff oil between rally but you really only need to do it every 500 miles. Brake pads, i have 2200 mile on my rzr and still on the same set of pads.

Entry fee are normally cheaper than car too.

If you do any damages, go to your local sxs dealer and get your parts, cheap and easy.

Yes the price of the machine is expensive, but you buy a machine that you can race and go on a leisure ride any day. I took mine 2 days after a rally on a trip with my girlfriend. When was the last time you use your rally car outside a race? I raced rally car for a few years and a sxs is so much more versatile and user friendly. I let anybody drive my rzr and i'm not worry of them breaking a gear box, the engine etc. You don't have to be a race car driver to drive one.

I really believe sxs have a place in rally as a supporting role to rally car. It could bring and expose new people to rally. Sxs are now the biggest offload market, more than dirt bike and quad together.

I hope ARA, Rally America will follow the California Rally series and allow sxs in national events.

·
!!! R4>2/][
167 Posts
How much are these things to not be cheaper than current, say $80k rally car to purchase, and to run/maintain? Also to crash and repair?

Hard to believe they are more expensive than a rally car for such minimal components, and for all of the non FMVSSness of the original vehicle.

I agree about "Rally continues to change". Used to be endurance and stamina, a big challenge and experience to go rallying. Not so much anymore.

Who has an $80k rally car? There's a few more (Fetela, Wallingford) but I don't see anyone out there running anything more than $30k, and those are the open class guys. Plus racing on credit never sounds like a good idea. I know a multitude of people who have purchased $10-15k cars and running costs are decent. That's 90% of people.

UTVs will not save rally but they are interesting.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts