Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been driving Rallycross for a few years now and finally teamed up with a good friend to build a Pro Rally spec car. We are very excited to drive our first Rally in 2005. Rallycross races put on by the Gravel Crew give prizes that must total over 5 grand, stereo equipment, cloths, and hats, shoes all kinds of stuff. What kind of prizes does Pro Rally give? Is it contingency money or something like Jeep Speed?

·
Registered
309 Posts
What kind of
>prizes does Pro Rally give? Is it contingency money or
>something like Jeep Speed?

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

Sorry SQB, that was just the funniest thing I have heard
in a long time.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'll be nice: first off people rally for the love of the sport. There is very little in the way of prize fund , nothing like say off-road. At the former SCCA Pro series there were variuos contingencys from manufacturers and component suppliers. Ramada express used to have prize money but I do not know what they award these days.Also Rally America is still finalizing details so you will have to check their web-site.
Unfortunatly you have been spoiled by the gravel crew , they put on a very nice event. The have some very good contacts and are able to do that.
If you are looking for payouts I would suggest Saturday night oval track racing but not Rally.
My advice to you is come on out have some fun , enjoy your trophy , and have a beer with a friend.
In the USA we are very fortunate that Rally is nothing more than a hobby - if you have seen the prices for Off-Road racers you'll know what I mean.

Tom Grossmann , Vegas

PS SEED 9 Rallysprint is the first event of the year for CRS , March 5th , come and have fun with us - I will gladly buy you and your Navie a beer at the old Pioneer Saloon.

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,207 Posts
>component suppliers. Ramada express used to have prize money
>but I do not know what they award these days.Also Rally

Ramada Express had a fairly significant prize fund again this year. I don't remember the gory details (it might be on their web page), but I recall the winner took home $4000 (or something like that), and the top two or three in the various classes took home something.

Ben

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
>Ramada Express ......winner took home $4000
>(or something like that)....

However, for those unfamiliar with rally here in the States it might be worth pointing out that what people refer to as prize money is before expenses which for top level teams can be in the tens to hundreds of thousands for each event.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Q. How do you end up with a million dollars racing cars?

A. Start with two!

Yeah Tom I guess Gravel Crew do put on a nice show, However I still love to come to yours (Except for the silt). I did not want to seem like I was only interested in the pay off. I DO LOVE RALLY. I did desert racing with Crayfish racing for a few seasons and was wondering if it was the same. Like maybe some of your entrance fee returned. I am fortunate to have some good backing to support next years season.

I guess Gravel crew deserves some wider acknowledgement for putting on the best show in town.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Come to the Sprint in March all smooth Gravel - go to LVRSCCA.org for pics of the roads. We did have a section last year that was rough (rain washed it out) but we are avoiding that this year. One section will have 1/2 mile of twisty Tarmac as well.Plus the 100 yr old Pioneer Saloon is worth the trip alone.
For Rally-X we are going to do a Class for prepped cars (cages) were you will be able to go 75 MPH on the lake bed. (Now if only we could have a spec Honda XR75 class)
Glad To hear you're stepping up , see you out there.

Tom

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
OK, now that we all have had a good laugh, how about elaborating on:

Jeep Speed

Gravel Crew

(I know I could go Google those, but I'm looking for first hand opinions) tia

press on,

·
Registered
689 Posts
Jeep Speed is an off road class for Spec Jeep Cherokee trucks (I believe). Gravel Crew is a group of young guys who played on dirt roads then got heavily involved in Rally. They drive , navigate , organize Rally-X and a couple of them work for car mags so they promote Rally whenever they can.

Tom

·
All 0ver the Map
102 Posts
> Unfortunatly you have been spoiled by the gravel crew ,
>they put on a very nice event. The have some very good
>contacts and are able to do that.

>
> Tom Grossmann , Vegas
>
>PS SEED 9 Rallysprint is the first event of the year for CRS
>, March 5th , come and have fun with us - I will gladly buy
>you and your Navie a beer at the old Pioneer Saloon.
>

Do you really think we are spoiling competitors new to the sport?

Scott G.
the gravel crew
www.gravelcrew.com

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is what I posted on another board, regarding our laughlin Rally-X event. I guess i should apologize for spoiling future/fellow competitors... geez guys!

ok fellow competitors....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone we speak to is very interested in what we do. They find it exciting and are curious to see where it goes. We want to try and support all of the companies that support us. Please express your appreciation when ever the opportunity presents itself, or make an opportunity to do so. We are hoping to continue introducing Rally to anyone and everyone we meet, and expose these and other companies to our unique market. Some of these companies have decided to donate prizes for the event, all of them provided us with materials to learn about their companies, and their services. We seek out companies that are related to our sport, our lifestyles, and our hobbies. We look forward to keeping the rally community updated with all the latest a gear, toys, and parts to keep our rally passions alive! Scott G.

Laughlin Nevada 2 Day Rally-X Sponsors:

ARSG
Falken Tires
X Site Audio
Auto Art
Jada Toys
K&N Filters
Mechanix
Speedwell Footwear
Nitro 2 Go Energy Drinks
Team Dynamics Wheels
Zoo York Clothing
Ezekiel Clothing
Rally Innovations
Subaru
AudioBahn Audio
Gravel Girl
Eibach
HPI
Sparco
Makita Tools
AWJunkies

and Prizes:

Set of Falken Rally Tires
18 Collectibles from Auto Art
6 models from Jada Toys
Mechanix Wear
K & N Filter/Keychains
FlashLight Holders
Falken Hats
X Site Audio
Audiobahn
Nitro 2 Go
Gravel Girl

This event with a 2 day format is a must go. If you add up the time spent competing at a normal event, you can imagine the amount of seat time and practice that is available in 2 days.... Come out, have fun, play, then relax until we kick things off at the first of the year!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The question of prizes came up when we started to cost out how much the enterance fees for a season of Rally is going to cost us. For a 20 to 30 buck Rally-X enterance fee, those are some very nice prizes.

·
Registered
689 Posts
no no no , Don't apologize... Scott you guys put on a great event. And you are spoiling future competitors but that's a good thing , if the first ever Rally event(Rally-X) you go to blows then why would you ever comeback. You guys get folks stoked with your events and then it is to late , they are addicted like the rest of us.They have no choice but to come and play.

Tom

·
Registered
20 Posts
> no no no , Don't apologize... Scott you guys put on a great
>event. And you are spoiling future competitors but that's a
>good thing , if the first ever Rally event(Rally-X) you go
>to blows then why would you ever comeback. You guys get
>folks stoked with your events and then it is to late , they
>are addicted like the rest of us.They have no choice but to
>come and play.
>
> Tom

That is the point!! We are addicted, bad, obviously, and want the rest of the people we touch to feel the same way. I guess we may be taking it a bit far, but it seems worth it the moment the time comes to pass on the winnings. This is not an easy thing to do. You have to get lots of press for each event to keep the prizes coming, and that is hard work as well. I swear I dont know how full forest rally organizers do it...... It is almost a full time job to secure event sponsorhips, prizes, and then the media to cover it. I hink this new Circuit Rally is interesting, and I am looking at it pretty hard...

·
Registered
689 Posts
I'm with you on Circuit Rally , I'm willing to give all the events a try. And organizing is a lot of work , you sometimes wonder why you do it , but it's always fun just to be around Rally.

Tom

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
You have to get lots of press for
>each event to keep the prizes coming, and that is hard work
>as well. I swear I dont know how full forest rally
>organizers do it...... It is almost a full time job to
>secure event sponsorhips, prizes, and then the media to
>cover it.

Rally organizers try their best, but since the costs of a full blown forest rally are much higher the money gets sucked up in a hurry. Most organizers would rather pass any sponsorships along in the form of lower entry fees, which benefits everyone, instead of prize funds, which only benefit a few. At this point most competitors (myself included) would rather save $50 on an entry fee than see the winner take home $500. Perks and benefits for unpaid and underappreciated volunteers are also high on the list. And again, most competitors (myself included) would rather see the organizers recruit enough workers to safely and efficiently put on the event, than see the winner take home some bucks.

One of the things Rally America has been talking about was ways to help the organizers reign in more dough for things like purses or lower entry fees. They've talked about centralizing a lot of tasks to lower the organizer workload (thus giving them more time to find sponsors), direct national sponsor support recruited by RA, and help in recruiting event sponsors. At this point RA is trying to keep the rally boat afloat, but give them a couple years to plug all the holes and soup up the motors, and I think you'll see some pretty impressive prize incentives to rally.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Registered
300 Posts
Scott...Dont change a thing!!

I had a blast at your event in Laughlin and I will do more of them (with a different car (more power)). The Gravle Crew is a great bunch of guys that bust thier butts to put on a grat event and get great prizes. You guys should get a friggin' medal or something.

·
Registered
20 Posts
>Scott...Dont change a thing!!
>
>I had a blast at your event in Laughlin and I will do more
>of them (with a different car (more power)). The Gravle Crew
>is a great bunch of guys that bust thier butts to put on a
>grat event and get great prizes. You guys should get a
>friggin' medal or something.

Rem,
The Gravel Crew appreciates your compliments. We are in the middle of a decision process on which direction to take. We feel that Rally is way too hidden from potental comptitors and fans alike, and would like to maximize exposure at every level of the game. What are current sanctioning bodies and organizers doing to promote the sport to the next generation? I dont see a whole lot going on to ensure rally stays around. We as a Club/Crew/Team, felt that with all the turmoil going on the top level of rallying, we should basically start over as if there was no top level, and start building again from the ground up. We have run both CRS and WSRC, hell, we even got the Grp 2 Championship in WSRC, but no one knew about it. It was hard to roll that success into a much larger scale deal, so, we started over attacking the basic Rally-X events as organizers on a mission to develop media contacts and partners to promote the sport to the next generation. In my opinion, the sport needs a ton of interest by the kids, hence interest by the media, hence interest by potental sponsors, hence, we, along with many others will be able to justify the astronomical amount of sponsor $$$$ required to do a national program. Ok, you got it, The Gravel Crew master plan!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts