Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Professional rally photographer Morgan Segal has donated 4 prints to benefit A Gift Of Pain. These beautiful prints are professionally matted and framed by Eyes of Wild Art and Frame Gallery. The prints measure 13"x19", when framed the size is approximately 19"x25".

They are being auctioned on EBAY with 100% of the proceeds going to benefit A Gift Of Pain.

Former PGT and Clubrally National Rally Champion Steve Gingras, together with his wife Tricia, have taken on a new challenge with the same energy that he previously used to attack rally stages. Because there were no support groups or organized ways to bring together families that are affected by Congenital Insensitivity to Pain (CIPA), the Gingras family decided to start a foundation to do just that. They enlisted veteran rally organizers Beryl Ann Burton and Bruce Weinman as board members and started A Gift of Pain, Inc. The charity is bringing hope and help to families across America and around the world.

For more information on the foundation call us at 763 263-0739 or check out the web site at www.Gift-of-pain.org.

The prints are for sale on EBAY. The auctions will end on Nov. 14th.

Pat Richard - JUMP
http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29296-2357-0?uid=18207773&site=0&ver=LCA080805&item=7363787707&lk=URL

Racing Through Fall
http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29296-2357-0?uid=18207773&site=0&ver=LCA080805&item=7363789796&lk=URL

Mitsubishi Splash
http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29296-2357-0?uid=18207773&site=0&ver=LCA080805&item=7363788951&lk=URL

Shadow Mountain
http://cm.ebay.com/cm/ck/1065-29296-2357-0?uid=18207773&site=0&ver=LCA080805&item=7363790429&lk=URL

And if that isn't enough we will be on the OPRAH show on Tuesday Nov. 8th. Check your local listing for times.

Please help me get the word out about the auction by posting notes or links on other rally websites and forums.

Thank you to the entire rally community. Especially - Beryl Ann Burton, Bruce Weinman and Morgan Segal.

Steve, Tricia, Gabby and Katie Gingras

·
Registered
274 Posts
If I remember correctly, these pictures were on display at the LSPR registration. If so, the ebay photos don't do them justice- they're beautiful. I especially liked the water crossing picture, but the LSPR picture gets my bid.

And don't wait to bid until the last minute like you usually do. We want to drive the price up as high as possible. Bid early, and bid often.

If you guys let me have that LSPR picture for the paltry bid I've entered, I'll be supremely disappointed in the lot of you.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I remember before Steve and his family was on Montell (spelling?) I had heard a bit about his daughters condition but i never really understood it the way I did after watching the program. I gained a huge appreciaton and respect for what Steve and his family is doing. I hope that your appearance on Oprah furthers your charity Steve good luck.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
James your right I had the pictures on display at LSPR.
And you are also right that the pictures I took to use on EBAY don't do them justice.
It?s a good thing that Morgan is a much better photographer than me.

The photos are truly beautiful. I tried to pick ones that I would want to hang in my house.
Which is actually where they are right now.

The Oprah show goes great. Gabby comes out on stage and charms Oprah. Then her older sister Katie steals the show. Oprah asks Katie a question and her answer is very mature and direct. It wowed Oprah, the audience and even Tricia and me.

The problem was that we were only onstage for about 10 minutes. The first 4 were showing clips of the movie ?A Life Without Pain? which Gabby stars in. The movie was a good way to quickly explain the condition. Because of the time we didn?t get to talk about the foundation, how were trying to find more families or the work that the foundation is doing. Oh well it is still great for the charity and will raise awareness of the condition.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Those of us who are fortunate enough to know Gabby, our lives are definately enriched.

If you can, please support Gift-of-Pain.

Even if you were outbid, consider sending your bid amount to Gift-of-Pain. You were willing to bid that amount, why not continue the support and provide an extra surprise.

Bill Westrick
Just another old Navie from Michigan

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Uugghh, I can't believe I'm even contemplating watching Oprah. That's just wrong on too many levels. I swear to God Steve, you better get some good PR out of this, cuz if I watched Oprah for nuthin', I'm gonna have to kick your ass! }(

BTW, I've seen Steve win classes, win rallies, and win championships, but I've never seen him as excited as he was Saturday after LSPR, when all he could talk about was being on Oprah in a few days. Kinda puts things in perspective, thanks man.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

Ps. Did you wear a Rally America shirt?

·
Registered
924 Posts
Why limit it to 4 pix? Any print of a Segal rally pic is worth the bids already on ebay, it's great that he's donating them. Any exposure on Oprah will generate lots of intrest in the foundation and i'm sure help other families connect with you. Throwing bids on as I type.
JTree

·
Registered
41 Posts
Steve..........

There is a lot of work to getting the exposure you received on Oprah. I don't know if Gift of Pain was mentioned or not. However, you can get people to go to the Oprah website and post messages, etc. and let people know that way about Gift of Pain. I think Dennis would be a great candidate for this........his first time to watch Oprah and all! (big grin!)

We'll be watching for sure.

Congrats on all you're doing!

We hope to see you at the 100AW in February!

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The show looked great. We were on stage much longer than I thought.
I only remember talking to her for about 1 minute.
On the show today the piece lasted about 12 minutes.

We have already heard from a new person with CIPA. Which is one of our goals - Cool!!!!

I thought that the show edited the pieces of the movie together very nicely. It explained the condition very well.

What did you think Dennis? Are you going to kick my ass or not?

Steve

·
Registered
285 Posts
>The show looked great. We were on stage much longer than I
>thought.
>I only remember talking to her for about 1 minute.
>On the show today the piece lasted about 12 minutes.
>
>We have already heard from a new person with CIPA. Which is
>one of our goals - Cool!!!!
>
>I thought that the show edited the pieces of the movie
>together very nicely. It explained the condition very well.
>
>What did you think Dennis? Are you going to kick my ass or
>not?
>
>Steve

Naaaaaaaa, I think we are finally going to see the "softer" side of Dennis on this one.... hee hee

Saw the tape tonight. The family looks great. Actually one of my profs at school mentioned the show in class. Just about put her off of her chair when I filled her in on the rest of the story.

Great job.

Bill Westrick
Just another old Navie from Michigan

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Morgan could answer how much he charges for the prints of that size.
To get them framed and matted cost about $175 each.

So did I make a mistake by having a 10 day auction?
Would a 7 day auction one been better?
Did Oprah help or hurt the auction?

Thanks

Steve

·
[email protected] -> Magnetic Tree
438 Posts
RE: Oprah's impact on the auctions... Haven't really seen much impact (did the auction get mentioned on the show?). I would have expected the prices to get driven up more if it had. Oprah seems to have some significant influence on things like this.

7 Day vs. 10 day. I don't think it was a mistake. The extra three days gives more time for the word to spread amongst the rally community. Be patient, there's usually a flurry of activity right at the end of an auction.

As for the tax value... The usual process for gifts to charity like this is that you provide Morgan with a receipt that he uses to declare the value of the photos as a donation on his returns (for arguent's sake $100). The auction winner then gets to declare the balance above that $100 as a donation on their taxes provided they have the correct documentation (in other words, they "bought the print for $100 and made a donation to the charity above and beyond that). So, say the $272.50 on the "Racing through Fall" ends up being the winning bid, then Mogran declares the value of the print ($100) as a donation on his returns, and the winner declares their winning bid minus the value of the print ($2172.50 - $100 = $172.50) on their return as a donation.

I guess the real question becomes whether or not there is a paper trail being created (i.e. a receipt to Morgan for the donation of the prints and then receipts to the winners declaring the "value" of the prints versus the amount donated)?

Tim

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
>
>I guess the real question becomes whether or not there is a
>paper trail being created (i.e. a receipt to Morgan for the
>donation of the prints and then receipts to the winners
>declaring the "value" of the prints versus the amount
>donated)?
>
Trust me, Gift of Pain's accountant will be sure that happens. :)

Strictly speaking, you don't need a receipt for a donation under $250, but in this case, where you're buying something for (hopefully) more than fair market value, it's a good thing to have.

Bruce

1 - 20 of 24 Posts