Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone care to share their Rally New York Stories?
It sounds like it was quite an event, from Service area mud bog racing, Flame shooting RX-7?s, Rally teams lifting cars off of other rally drivers, melted smoldering rally cars and helicopter rides. There has to be some stories, good or bad that come out of this one.

B~

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Flame shooting RX-7?s

Had a fun ride codriving for Havas. No scary moments to speak of.
The alternator failed while transiting out to the first pass of the northern stages and we were lucky the second pass of the stage was cancelled and that the battery lasted to get us back to service.

Thanks to all the organizers and workers and get well soon Gerry and James.

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
Sorry, my run was pretty boring, nothing unusual. Got there early enough to get a drier spot. Ran Xtra slow on transits to miss the speed traps and radar. Generally had a good time seeing all the friends who haven't traveled south.
rz

·
Registered
240 Posts
RE: Travel Inn

The Travel Inn was only $20 cheaper a night, should have been cheaper. Employees barely understood let alone spoke english, making it difficult for any room service. Amazingly, there were cigarette burns everywhere including the tub.

Need more advertising to the locals. I/we had several locals asking about the race. They either didn't hear about it at all or did through the article in paper but didn't know they could spectate it or be at service.

Also, while on recce for the afternoon stages there were several vehicles traveling at high rates of speeds in the wrong direction. Could the recce cars also be numbered? the workers at the end of the stage said they drivers would not listen.

Hmm, another great event. No cars were purchased as of yet, although one tow vehicle is now R.I.P. Please give a moment in silence to the "Yellow School Bus", she will be missed by all in one form or another.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Now we have a battle of the Monticello shady motels...

We stayed at the Raceway. Besides the hair covered pillow cases, tow nail clipping covered beds, uncleaned toilets, stained sheets, unemptied trash cans, 150 degree unadjustable radiator heat with the curtains hanging on them, there were other issues. Like the drug dealers knocking on doors at 4am, the 25 people packed into 1 or 2 rooms having a clam bake, the empty powder bags in the parking lot and last but not least the CRACK PIPE that was left on the floor in one of our rooms. That motel takes nasty to a whole new level. We actually packed up and left, dirty and tired after the rally and didnt stay saturday night. I've showered like 15 times since leaving there and I still feel scummy
;-)

Brandon

·
Registered
356 Posts
We lost our right front strut halfway through SS#1, had to "limp" (if there is such thing for Otis) through SS2 and 3. We replaced it without incident during the first service.

We drained second gear out of the transmission during the second service, and I had figured the rally was over for us when Otis couldn't even back the car out of our service area (tranny kept locking up). But he got it out and managed a 4th in class, 20th overall.

·
Registered
240 Posts
RE: SCUMMY

We had someone knock on our window at about 4am. Not sure why, who or anything. But anything is possible.

·
Registered
42 Posts

I should have known better than to let my crew get to the hotel first and pic the "better" room. To make matters worse, the crack pipe in our room was EMPTY! The nerve of those crack heads leaving us a pipe and no rock to get jiggy with.
The good news is that we sold the race car and service truck to the guy in the room next to us for $85,000 in cash on the spot-and he didn't even want a receipt!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Brian,
Our story is that we have no story. The car ran well all day. Put gas in it, wiped the windshield, and checked the air pressure. On the stages we had no offs and no spins. On the transits we had no penalties, although we had to interpret what was meant rather than what was written on the scorecard a couple of times, but we figured that out.

We would have liked to scored a couple of positions higher in the overall standings but the dust on the last two stages made that very difficult. On Stage 9 we essentially caught the car ahead of us but getting close enough for a pass in that dust would have involved a large pucker factor. On Stage 10 the dust was worse or appeared so with the lights and we really could not have gone much faster.

The recce for Stages 5/6 and 9/10 was challenging not because people were traveling the wrong direction, the stages were run backwards. Therefore there we recce cars running in both directions. When we were entering Stages 5/6 to recce, the marshall was not going to let us do the recce at all because of the complaints from teams about opposite direction traffic. After a rather testy discussion about such a decision putting us at a major competitive disadvantage he relented and we got to do the recce.

In the future, I suggest that when recce could cause significant two way traffic, the recce should be scheduled with windows for specific Stages. For example, Stages 5/6 from 10:00 to 11:00, Stages 9/10 11:30 to 12:30, Stages 5/6 from 13:00 to 14:00, etc. This would allow for a 1-hour window plus a half-hour-window to clear the stage.

It was sad that some people got hurt and that a car destroyed.

Steve McKelvie
Co-Driver Car #24

·
Registered
19 Posts
> In the future, I suggest that when recce could cause significant
> two way traffic, the recce should be scheduled with windows for
> specific Stages.

Well what do you know? Official bulletin posted on April 9th, and provided to the competitors as part of their packet:

http://www.rallynewyork.com/rny04-bulletins.html

4/9/2004 - Addition to Supplementary Regulations:
Article 12.0 Reconnaissance: Reconnaissance may be conducted only in the direction of rally traffic.
No car registered for Reconnaissance may drive in the direction opposite to rally traffic during the official Reconnaissance on Friday, April 16, 2004 from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm.
Reconnaissance on Stages 5 and 6, Colchester I and II, may be conducted only from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm.
Reconnaissance on Stages 9 and 10, Russell Brook I and II, may be conducted only from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm.

Obviously more than one competitor did not bother to read the bulletins.

We finished recce of stage 5/6 at around 12:30 or so, got to the end and waited with a group of cars for 13:00 to come around. Passed numerous competitors going the reverse direction, and saw several starting stage 5/6 after we finished stage 9/10, well past 13:00. It was a little unnerving, quite annoying, but I guess it was expected.

We can't even get people to do triangles correctly, why would we think they could follow these instructions?

Fortunately most of the stage was quite wide and it didn't cause (us, at least) any problems. More annoying than anything else.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I can give an account of a few drama's from the spectator's point of view:

My 8 year old son, Robby, and I spectated the rally. We were at the stage 2 spectator area in the morning. The view was a twisty but mild downhill into a 3L that immediately tightened across two culverts. There was a telephone pole on the outside of the corner followed by two sets of wooden guardrail for the culverts. I believe it was the fastest Corolla that tagged the wooden guardrail first, knocking it a little loose. About 5 cars later another car bopped it and made it more loose. A few cars later, the yellow Talon took it out completely. What a sight! The right rear of the car was over the edge of the concrete but the driver, wisely, kept his foot in it and the other 2 wheels that were still on the ground pulled it back from the brink. Robby's eyes were bugged out!!! Unfortunately for Gerry Brinkman's mishap, the road permission time ran out and the second pass (SS4) was cancelled. We all wanted to see who thought they could go faster and who thought they went too fast the first time around...

We moved on to the spectator point on the long stage, 5-6 and 9-10. The stage road had to be openned between 5-6 and 9-10 so Robby and I jumped in the car so I could show him what the road looked like :). Also, we wanted to find the reason for the SS6 problem. The accident on SS5 that caused the timing delay and subsequent SS6 time permission problem, was the Grieve's Corolla. The shell and the drivers where still there waiting for the flatbed so we had a talk with them. Less than 2 miles from the finish, in a narrow, twisty, tree lined section, they clipped the RR on a tree. Not an uncommon thing for a rwd Corolla. The car nosed into the bank on the other side and did a slow roll. Again, not normally a real bid deal except that a little flame erruped from under the hood. The guys punched out the windscreen and got out quick with no injuries. The car, unfortunately burned to the ground. I mean TO THE GROUND! There was nothing left... I later heard a rumor that the car was leaking fuel at the start of SS5 but I did not get that first hand.

One more quick observation. While watching 9-10 from a 1/4 mile below the spectator point, we had a great section to watch and compare driving talent. Without going into too much detail, Seamus and Shane were in a class of their own. Both drivers nailing the section perfectly albeit differently. Seamus, with the Open class power, had the car in the perfect vector on the perfect line to the required late apex on both passes. Shane, in the lesser powered GN car was a bit straighter but no less precise, driving the car for what it is and not trying to over drive it. Shane and I started about the same time and he has improved greatly. He shows a lot of maturity in his driving. Shane, keep it up!

I had never been able to bring any of the family to a rally when I was competing so this was Robby's first true rally experience beyond the rallycrosses and PS2. What a magical experience!!! For him and for me...

Thanks for the entertainment guys,

Bruce Perry

·
Couch rallyist!
344 Posts
>4/9/2004 - Addition to Supplementary Regulations:
>Article 12.0 Reconnaissance: Reconnaissance may be conducted
>only in the direction of rally traffic.
>No car registered for Reconnaissance may drive in the
>direction opposite to rally traffic during the official
>Reconnaissance on Friday, April 16, 2004 from 9:00 am to
>5:00 pm.
>Reconnaissance on Stages 5 and 6, Colchester I and II, may
>be conducted only from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm.
>Reconnaissance on Stages 9 and 10, Russell Brook I and II,
>may be conducted only from 1:00 pm to 5:00 pm.
>
>
>
>Obviously more than one competitor did not bother to read
>the bulletins.

For some competitors, rules without stiff penalties may as well not exist...

·
Dirt surfer
1,367 Posts
Last Ditch Racing at Rally NY

Thanks, everyone for the support at Rally NY. We met lots of LDR fans there. We literally couldn't (wouldn't!) race without ya!

This was my first NASA rally at the wheel of "Tulip" our well-used 2.5 RS. Our new co-driver Erik Lee was awesome, a stage-note-readin' MACHINE that helped raise the confidence level and maximize the spankage factor. Erik says Tulip was rolling 90+ mph on every stage...I dunno for sure, I was busy watching the road and not the speedo!

We moved up 13 places from our #44 starting position after 3 stages and managed to outrun a bunch of turbo cars...until the engine pooched on Stage 5, that is. Head gasket, we think. Engine was wailing along fine, then started running rough, overheated suddenly, and 9.22 miles into the stage...kaput. Here's a pic that Pete Kuncis took soon after we stopped. I think the body language says it all.

http://www.onalimbracing.com/galler...amp;id=IMG_2582

At least we got a good drift in at the downhill hairpin spectator area just before the motor croaked, Some Irish guys watching told us later, "Aye lads, yer ingine sounded bloody awfull fookin sick. We were takin' bets on how farr ye'd git!" Tulip made it about a quarter-mile further before the poor abused EJ25 seized up solid.

Rally NY showed both how fun and how serious the rally game can be. The roads were ultra-quick, flowing and awesome, and the competition was clean, fast and furious. Unfortunately there were several serious crashes--the burnt-toast Corolla, James F and Charlie P's Saab smacking a tree off insanely fast tarmac section (both crew medevacked, James is OK but broken ankle, Charlie OK thankfully ), and Gerry B's Audi that was hit from behind and knocked on top of him while he was working underneath it. OW! Erik and I arrived early on the scene and helped lift the car off G while his codriver pulled him out from underneath. Word is that G is recovering from a broken pelvis and facial contusions. Kudos to Andrew H for his calm management of the Audi crash scene. Scary stuff for sure.

All that said, it was an amazing weekend. Congrats to Randy Z and Russell S, who yet again flew their basic aspro Scooby well up the leaderboard. Congrats to the organizers who did their best under difficult conditions and a huge turnout of competitors and spectators. Thanks to the photogs who posted pics so quickly. Thanks especially to the intrepid Last Ditch service crew, Duncan and Big E--neither of whom built the busted engine.

Dave G
LDR Pilote & Tow Strap Jockey
www.lastditchracing.net

"...Embrace loose gravel, beware big trees..."

·
Straight @ "T"
188 Posts
Just a few quick thoughts. I was the captain of 2-4-8; where most of the excitment was! The communications and medical crews where exceptional. Response was quite quick, including the copters with a 15 minute response time. The competitors where all quite patient with the accident delays and the food at Mister Willy's was great! I thought that the local publicity could have been better though.
Yes, some of the motels in the Monticello area are rather skanky. I stayed at my families house (just sold, thamk God).
Jim Blumenfeld
W1JIM

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was on the finish line of 1,3 and 7 with big Irish Brian doing the time sheets and cards. We thought we knew what we were doing and most of the co-drivers seemed to aprove :)
Stage 7 finish did scare the living hell out of us though, who the hell measured the finish line to stop flag distance ??? No 1 came past us at the stop flag still doing 70 plus.......sideways in a cloud of tyre smoke, my Saab Aero just 5 feet away.
No4 Mitsu managed even greater speed, direction mis-alignment and smoke as they strugled to realise where the finish line was ;) Perhaps the gravel tyres did not help :+

Anyways, our Comfort Inn in Liberty was a dream come true, scummy floors, bog, sink and shower. Add to that we were LOCKED IN and had to break out at 6AM......sneaking past the sleeping owner camped out in the lobby.

Great fun all round, the Irish blokes helping out on our stages were funny as hell, even when they sobered up :p

And finally, I got my jacket back from Jeff Field after 2 years, I had left it in the "ambulance" Cheers Jeff.

·
Retired Rally Photographer
2,069 Posts
>and the food at Mister Willy's was great!

Haha, I don't agree. That steak wasn't worth $15 (cheapest entree). Had to chew and chew and chew and chew and when nobody was looking, I had to spit it out.

>I thought that
>the local publicity could have been better though.

Yep, some people (locals) commented on that. There was nothing in papers. Just in store windows and stuff. I did see the postings and flyers in a few places though.

Pete

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'll take responsibility for our team for not finding the time to read that supplemental about the recce timing on those stages. If you remember or look at my post, I noted that there should have been a similar rule. However, I will not accept the implication in your message that we deliberately broke the rule or are the type of people who would. That's horsesh*t. Your are implying something against my character that just isn't there.

We were told when we showed up to recce Stage 5/6 that people had complained about the number of cars going in the wrong direction. As we did not know of the rule we assumed that we alone were being stopped simply because others complained about two-way traffic. We explained that we were traveling slow and that obviously others had been allowed to go ahead, so why stop us. We were anticipating two way traffic from rally cars plus locals, so we would be very careful.
Had we been made aware that it was an event rule, we would have complied - no question and dealt with it just like when other unexpected things happen while rallying. We probably would have have circled around to the start of Stages 9/10 and drove the stage even more slowly checking notes for both directions. We likely would have stopped frequently to look backwards to get a good perspective on what the stage would look like while running in the opposite direction.

I do not know what other teams knew or were thinking when they also were allowed to recce Stages 5/6 before or after we did, but if you think that everyone cheats or break rules unless there are big penalties, you are mistaken on the part of our team.

Steve McKelvie

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.