Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"Just a few quick thoughts. I was the captain of 2-4-8; where most of the excitment was! The communications and medical crews where exceptional. Response was quite quick, including the copters with a 15 minute response time. The competitors where all quite patient with the accident delays and the food at Mister Willy's was great! I thought that the local publicity could have been better though." writes Jim Blumenfeld.

Jim,

You did an excellent job, thank you very much. But, you are not the only one who thinks that the local publicity could have been better.

Peter Kuncic writes: "Yep, some people (locals) commented on that. There was nothing in papers. Just in store windows and stuff. I did see the postings and flyers in a few places though."

I also already received e-mail quoting the "buzz" to the effect that Rally New York 2004 could have been promoted better.

How in the world have you guys determined that? Thankfully, this is a misconception. The only local people who allegedly never heard of Rally New York 2004 are those who do not read the papers, do not listen to the radio and are oblivious to posters and spectator guides widely distributed to shops, banks, etc.

First, gone are the days when an official press release of a sanctioning body used to start with: "Even though rallying in the United States will never ......" or US rallying luminaries went on the record with claiming that rallying is not suitable for the United States because ......

We do think that in the United States we have excellent conditions for the development of the sport of rallying. The only reason why rallying is such a small sport in the United States lies in the fact that over the last three decades nobody has done much about seriously publicising, promoting and developing rallying in the United States. We have to hear from Europeans that we have excellent conditions for rallying in the United States.

Rally New York 2004 was promoted in a way unparalleled in US rallying. As a result, we had the number of spectators never previously seen on US rallies.

This is what we have done:

1. Thanks to the efforts of our Publicity Officer Tomas Barker (who is a writer) we distributed eight press releases over a period of several weeks to numerous local, regional and national media starting on March 8.
As a result, Tom and I were fielding a number of calls every day from the media seeking information.

2. Every local newspaper in the area published an article on Rally New York 2004 before the event took place. Times Herald Record, a regional newspaper, devoted a whole page to the rally featuring the team of Gary Griswald and Bernard Obry (a local competitor). The article was posted on the Official Bulletin Board. The online version of the article, without the pictures, is at www.recordonline.com/Archive/2004/04/14/kdgrally.htm

3. Most local and regional newspapers published a post-event article on Rally New York 2004. Here is one published today:
www.thedailystar.com/news/stories/2004/04/20/rally.html

4. Before the rally, I was interviewed live by two radio stations: One based in Sullivan County and Pennsylvania and the other in Long Island.

5. We distributed 1,000 of "flyers", actually 5 by 8 two-sided cards in color on glossy paper courtesy of Red Bull, to hundreds of locations from here to Long Island.

6. We distributed 100 posters, courtesy of Everett Studios.

7. We distributed THOUSANDS of Spectator Guides to stores, gas stations, hotels, banks, etc.

8. Rally New York 2004 was taped by two separate film crews for a TV broadcast in the United States and on nineteen stations in Europe.

9. A number of media people were accredited to the event.

Improvements? There could be improvements. Anybody who is in a position to promote Rally New York in the future is welcome: Volunteers, writers, PR people, sponsors or commercial advertisers.

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
Sounds like Ivan and company did a good job. What it amounts to is that there are some people who just don't get the news. Even in Indianopolis, there are those who wonder where all that traffic came from on Memorial Day. :7
Richard

·
Banned
183 Posts
The only local people who allegedly
>never heard of Rally New York 2004 are those who do not read
>the papers, do not listen to the radio and are oblivious to
>posters and spectator guides widely distributed to shops,
>banks, etc.
>

I have to agree with Ivan.

I didn't have a lot of contact with the locals, but the few that I did talk to fiqured out that I was there for the rally without me telling them.

Rob

·
codriveur
1,385 Posts
Ivan,

I want to personally thank you for the huge job of co-ordination you pulled off in getting the RNY done. As the only local competitor (other than Andrew!) I have many times tried to explain what Rally is to my fellow residents involved in motorsport and now the locals know.

I also want to thank you for pointing the reporter fron the TH-Record in our direction when he was looking for a local angle. Despite the numerous errors of fact about myself and the driver and the misconceptions he had before he interviewed us, the rally got a lot of attention. The half page color photo and "fluffy article" have cause me to hear from far and wide here in the Catskill/Hudson Valley area that we live and work. People interested in motorsports saw it and as a result those who could, showed up. There was a race @ two local Dirt ovals the same weekend. Anyone doing the transits would have seen the cars being transported south on Rt. 17, and on Sunday Rally NY still got 3/4 of a page of photo's out of the 2 pages devoted to local racing.

I would also like to thank our fellow competitors for the genuine camaraderie. Just one example, Seamus Burke rolled up on what was for him the start of SS4 while we were waiting for our SS2 delay. My driver asked how it went and he proceeded to tell Gary what to expect, at speed, with our tire compound, for what seemed like 5 min. Please note our starting position of 51st. This does not happen in any other form of motorsport I've been around. It is what makes rally very different. Thanks!

Bernie

·
Retired Rally Photographer
2,069 Posts
Ivan,
Those were not my words, I was quoting a couple locals I spoke to. I personally saw the flyers at the Mobil station, another gas station and that pharmacy in Monticello. There were also some at the Roscoe Diner in Roscoe. From what I saw, with the PR's and articles, it appeared well publicized. I'm not sure if these locals that commented are isolated in their own world (like the lady chasing the cows on her farm by stages 5, 6, 9 and 10) and don't get online or get newspapers. The two I spoke to were from Liberty and Forestburgh. They happened to come across the flyers in stores. I must not forget to mention the impressive turnout of spectators for a first year event. The numbers will only grow from here, mostly due to word of mouth. I'm sure there is no organization to this post, it's mostly ramblings. I think it's because I'm hungry. Good event though! Couldn't have had better weather!

Pete

·
Start Flat 30k Finish
366 Posts
RE: Rally New York 2004 In General

I have been asked by a number of folks, so what's this NASA stuff really like?

Well, let me say I don't think I've attended a more smoothly run event, even with the serious accidents and stage cancellations.

Full marks to Ivan, John Shirley, and John Buffum as well as the rest of the organisational team.

The concept is spot on with recce and also provided notes, central service and a nice compact route.

My only criticism could be it's just too bloody fast, but then, so is STPR. As for the police, only the ones at the end of the second tarmac stages weren't obviously friendly, all the others (and there were lots) were clearly happy we were there.

A few more twisty gravel stages next year, and more tarmac please.
(God knows how Ivan pulled off any tarmac stages in New York, better known to us as the "sue me" state)

A+

Andrew Havas
http://www.havspeed.com

·
Straight @ "T"
188 Posts

I only based my impression on the level of publicity on my encounters with some locals before the event; probably an unfair indicator. I will say that everyone in Forestburgh seemed to know about RNY except for the guy who tried to drive past the start of SS8 during our stoppage with his pickup and 20'+ boat / trailer. He wasn't very happy (>major understatement<).
I also forget (not having done PR for a while) how insanely difficult it is to put on an event of this magnitude. Thank you Ivan (AND Olga) for all of the hundreds of hours you spent setting this up. Actually, based on your level of commitment nobody has any right to complain.
Your reward for the success; lets do it again!
Jim Blumenfeld

·
Banned
2,738 Posts

Congratulations to all involved. I am also working on a tarmac event with Ole (you all know Ole)here in SoCal. Work still in progress but should have all the paperwork signed, sealed and delivered in the very near future. We are looking at 30 plus miles of pristine tarmac, running through USFS land. It will be a points rallysprint this year, to be run again in Nov (Treeline in Jul instead) and next year, hopefully a full blown tarmac rally! The event will be on Sat 12 Jun for those that can make it. It will also be a NASA event, as will Treeline.

·
International Rallying Icon
669 Posts

>I have been asked by a number of folks, so what's this NASA
>stuff really like?
>
>Well, let me say I don't think I've attended a more smoothly
>run event, even with the serious accidents and stage
>cancellations.
>
>Full marks to Ivan, John Shirley, and John Buffum as well as
>the rest of the organisational team.
>
>The concept is spot on with recce and also provided notes,
>central service and a nice compact route.
>
>My only criticism could be it's just too bloody fast, but
>then, so is STPR. As for the police, only the ones at the
>end of the second tarmac stages weren't obviously friendly,
>all the others (and there were lots) were clearly happy we
>were there.
>
>A few more twisty gravel stages next year, and more tarmac
>please.
>(God knows how Ivan pulled off any tarmac stages in New
>York, better known to us as the "sue me" state)
>
>A+
>
>Andrew Havas
>http://www.havspeed.com

What he said! This was a terrific event and was extremely well run in spite of the emergencies. Kudos to Ivan and the entire organizing committee!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Perspective on RNY Publicity

To put this in proper perspective, I was in Leon for the Rally Mexico WRC event. As I got off the plane in the host city of Leon I was asked by a number of Mexican locals, who were car enthusiasts, what all the people were doing there from Subaru, Mitsubishi, Pirelli, etc.

I had to tell them about the Rally and where to look on the internet for information. Even at a WRC event the size of the Rally Mexico, a large part of would-be-interested locals just never hear about the event.

I understand the NASA events have been extremely well produced. My concern is how the medical insurance stacks up for the injured parties, and how much NASA's insurance will or will not cover. Please do keep us posted, so that intelligent decisions can be made. In my un-employed state, I do not currently have medical healthcare. My decisions on whether to compete in a NASA event would have to be predicated upon whether I have sufficient medical coverage to handle a situation like James' or Gerry's.

Congrats to the organizers of the RNY and other NASA events, I keep hearing nothing but great things about the events.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts