Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
>World Rally chief Shekhar Mehta has died at the age of 60 in
>London.

How very sad. At age 60?!? Scary.

I was so enamored with the Safari Rally when I first got into the sport that multi-time winner Shekhar was my first rally hero. I was ecstatic getting to meet both Shekhar and Yvonne at Pikes Peak in 1987 and only wish we'd had more time that week to chat about those amazing endurance races he won.

Godspeed Shekhar. Condolences to Yvonne, his family, friends and fans.

Halley ...
http://motors.search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZrealautosport
Then, BBBBB (Bring Back Big Bend Bash)
http://www.realautosport.com

·
1973 WRC POR
2,421 Posts
>World Rally chief Shekhar Mehta has died at the age of 60 in
>London.

Yes, a real shock. When I rallied in Europe, I got to know Shekhar quite well. Later, he would often phone me on trips to the USA/Canada, to catch up on rally news.

At the 1000 Lakes Rally in Finland, we had a three car team consisting of Shekhar/Martin Holmes, Scott Harvey/Tom King and Bob Hourihan and myself. We were going to enter under the Ralligators name, but after looking at the factory Wartburg team from East Germany, we entered as Team Wartburg B. The organizers of the rally almost had a heart attack.

The story sort of shows what a fun guy Shekhar was. Also, a real gentleman.

Doug Woods

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
Condolences to his family. Still a young guy.

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I had the priviledge of meeting him at the Toyota Olympus when he was driving one of the two Nissans (Datsuns?) entered. He posed for a picture I gave to a member of our BFGoodrich Gemini Rally team who was from Kenya. I was also surprised that he and his wife did not have to wear the full driving suit that everyone else at the WRC event had to wear and swelter in. When I asked why, he said they had received a dispensation from the FIA because of the heat of the Safari and other African and Middle East events they entered. He was a true gentleman and we add him to the list of Nagel, Henderson and Grimshaw as another of the 'true characters' of this sport.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts