Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I was wondering if there would be any interest in starting a rally mentor program. Basically a newbie would be pared up with a season veteran who could give the newbie advice on car construction, race prep, setups, driving styles, how to get through tech, who people are ("Hey, meet Mike Bodnar over here, he runs SnoDrift"), how to setup service, etc..... I'm sure this is already happening, but I think it would be beneficial to formalize it. I've seen some beginners make some awful dumb mistakes simply because they were too shy or stupid to ask. We could maybe send out a iist of mentors with every seed 8 license app, or something like that.

I've seen programs like this work very well in the aviation world I frequent in my other life. And like I said earlier, it's already happening here, just informally. When I started out I got invaluable help from Steve Gingras and Todd Jarvey. Now I'm helping other guys answer those very same questions. When I put a rookie codriver in the car for a clubrally last year I had her work with Jimmy Brandt and Rich Fabor to learn the stuff they don't teach ya. She did great, and had an awesome time.

We could have both driver and codriver mentors. I'd imagine mentoring would involve a few hours of phone calls, shop visits and emails, and then a few minutes before rallies, at services, etc..

So, does anybody else think this is worthwhile? Should we pitch it the SCCA? Any volunteers for mentoring?

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
3/14=my 42nd rally anniversary
3,979 Posts
Some of us are already mentoring young talent and when writers take a mentor's suggestions about what would make a decent Sports Car Magazine piece, tomorrow's WRC contenders end up featured in First Gear. :9

That said, such a program is certainly a good idea, especially if there are newbies that are at all bashful about seeking help from the old guard.

Halley ...
ProRally #86
http://www.realautosport.com

·
CR>R5 into L3- 100 Finish
626 Posts
I'm always one to help these people.
Helping others get started the correct way makes this sport so much more enjoyable.

Whiplash RallyeSport

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I'm one of the new guys, who is benefiting from the stuff others have learned. I've been asking a bunch of questions, and gotten a ton of info here and from local guys.

Jay
92 Eclipse fwd

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
This was discussed in length here a while back. Some of feel some sort of program like this should be mandatory before newbies get their license.

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
>This was discussed in length here a while back. Some of feel
>some sort of program like this should be mandatory before
>newbies get their license.

That's kinda what I was thinking too, but I was little hesitant to push another "mandatory" program on the group from the SCCA. I guess I'd vote for "strongly encouraged".

Cars, and even entry level ones, are getting faster. At the same time the popularity and exposure of the sport is increasing. To me that is a recipe for trouble. I think we might be facing a safety issue here, and one or two more bad accidents and the insurance companies are gonna give us the boot. I think a proactive approach by the rally community to EDUCATE newcomers instead of regulating them is the way to go. In other words, instead of putting a rule in that says seed 8 drivers can't have four hundred horsepower, I'd rather that a mentor tells the seed 8 guys that he may wanna start out with something a little tamer.

Like I said, this is already happening. I just wanna formalize it so that we can get some credit for it, especially with the insurance companies, and so that we can catch the folks who might slip through the cracks. Remember, it is still currently possible for someone to order a rule book, build a car, and enter a race without ever having been to a rally or even seen a car! I caught a couple guys in Green Bay planning to do just that. Now I'm their mentor (scary thought, eh!), but had they not happened to stop in my store for something.....

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

1 - 6 of 6 Posts