Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few days ago I was trying to remember something about a return visit to NZ in 1973. The subject was nothing about cars or rally, but my friend wrote:

"I was in Invercargill when you arrived, we went for a drive to Bluff in the your rental Hillman Hunter. You had recently purchased a BMW 2002. You were keen on rally driving then, which was evident!"

Wow. I thought my rally roots went back to 1977. It appears the disease infected me earlier... when I was 18.

Anyone know of a Rallyholics 12 step program to help rid me of my problem?

Jens Larsen
Flying Kiwi Racing

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
It's only a one step solution. Buy yourself a really, really old rusted out Hillman Hunter!

Can't see me in your mirrors?
I must be in front of you!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Like this one... http://www.mopar-owners-club.com/miniatures/43/43_cor_Hillman_Hunter.jpg[/img]

Philip J. Boer
grinner323(at)sbcglobal(dot)net

Tact is just not saying true stuff. I'll pass.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, something like that... but it didn't have the rally equipment or any roos. It was the fastest thing I could find to rent. I remember trying to rent a BMW or 911, but back then there were no such things available for rent. With no highways on South Island I needed something fast to get from point A to point B in a reasonable period of time.

Being strongly right-handed, it is just plain weird having the shifter on the left. After a couple of weeks I got kind of used to it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
At least you weren't infected until you were 18.

I've been aflicted with this "disease" since I was twelve and am finally starting to do something about it.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
hey I loved my Hillman Hunter, I had spun a bearing but it still ran great(very noisy) we had one all night hamburger joint and everyone tried to see how many times they could "smoke" the tyres around that building, My Hilman Hunter with spun bearing set the record of 1 1/2 times:) many tried to beat that record but typically went home on the back of a wrecker, sigh the things we did as teenangers in
New Zealand:)

·
Rally Muse
418 Posts
I've got you beat there. My folks packed me in the backseat of a Triumph TR-3 to do TSD's before I could crawl. Rally truly is a disease that doesn't go away! I wouldn't want a cure if there was one!

·
[email protected] -> Magnetic Tree
438 Posts
Trump --

Came home from the hospital in a Triumph Herald. The other family car was a Bugeye Sprite. Worked my first TSD checkpoint at the age of 1 month from a "bed" in the trunk of that Bugeye.

38 years later and not only am I still seriously addicted, but now my son (8 years old and die hard Petter Solberg fan) is just as bad.

Damn good thing the wife knew what she was getting into when she married me. :)

Tim

·
Rally Muse
418 Posts
>Trump --

And trump me you did. Although mom was skilled in holding a stop watch in one hand and baby food jar in another, I was just a junior co-driver.

>Came home from the hospital in a Triumph Herald. The other
>family car was a Bugeye Sprite. Worked my first TSD
>checkpoint at the age of 1 month from a "bed" in the trunk
>of that Bugeye.

My trip home from the hospital was in a Volvo (John Lane can appreciate that one.)

>Damn good thing the wife knew what she was getting into when
>she married me. :)

Having an understanding (or better yet equally rally-diseased)spouse is a must to truly enjoy life together!

Tracy

·
Registered
397 Posts
Next time through I'll make a point of finding female company that is as rally diseased as I. My bride is a good sport but is having a hard time with the idea of three digit speeds through the trees.
*SIGH..........I love her anyways :p

John Lane
Viva Le Pro Le Ralliat

·
Rally Muse
418 Posts
And she DOES make a great drinkin' buddy too!

Tracy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Since trumping seems to be part of the fun of this thread, I'll try The 1983 Chattahoochee Rally in Febuary, Born 2 months later. Almost but Not quite a Trump.

Rally is an Airborne contagian(sp?). Glad I caught it! Where else can I thrash through the woods and not worry about oncoming traffic? The only known cure for Rally is being developed in Britain and should be available along with the current Flu Vaccine!:)

Duffy B

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
>Where else can I thrash through the woods and not worry about
>oncoming traffic?

Huh? No oncoming traffic? Ask your Dad about oncoming stage traffic; maybe he has seen it. Better yet, ask me.... It has happened to me more than once!

I'm waiting to read someone write about an oncoming car incident and then say, "... but.. but... it wasn't in the notes!"

·
Registered
9 Posts
I Stand corrected.
I personally have not seen this, but have heared of these occurances. Now that I have said this I'll probably meet some "directionally Challenged" driver at the next event.
Now My interest is peaked, what was one of your incidents? Preferably not in Novel form.:7

1 - 14 of 14 Posts