Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
not too get all excited but i really got a kick out of jeff hammond on trackside tonight. he definately has the rally bug. and when robby gordon said he would rally some time in his career hammond insisted that he should be his codriver. yes i like nascar and yes it bothers me to see it bashed incessantly here. thay like us. why cant we like them? racing is racing! where else do you get 35 weekends of intense close racing in one season? rumor has it boris said really wants a full time nascar ride and ron fellows really wants that nascar win.
and they were plugging wrc on speed harder than i have ever seen them plug another show on trackside.
now if we could only get them to talk about pro rally too.
we need to get jeff hammond into a pro car as a codriver.
where is that dang hyundai p car when you need it?
man put jeff and robby in it run em at a two day club event and make them switch seat for day two! there has to be a weekend it would work. hell schedule a special rallysprint event like the gordon montoya tradin paint thing at indy.
the really need to cover the ROC from the canary islands and get ramana or lauchlin in a car for team usa!

--greg

·
Registered
630 Posts
No offence to Ramana or Lauchlin, but robbie Gordon is faster than them. As he said the other night on Trackside, he still holds the ROC lap record, even faster than the regular WRC guys.

·
Banned
2,738 Posts
I would much rather have 35 weekends of intense rallying any day over NASCAR!Just where is the excitement watching 30-40 cars chasing each other around an oval circuit. If any drivers or commentators want to cross the line and get involved in rallying they will be welcomed with open arms, but I seriously doubt if the same would happen if you or I wanted to get into NASCAR. The way I see it, these guys have seen the light, spread the word!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
HI Greg,

>yes i like nascar and yes it bothers me to see it bashed
>incessantly here. thay like us. why cant we like them?
>racing is racing!

Well, the truth is that the bashing of NASCAR on this site is really comong from just a few individuals; take a good look at the negative comments and the number of sources......Some of it is just not caring for a certain form of racing, some of it is sectionalism (Who said the Civil War is over?), and some of it is prejudice against the types of folks who like to hang around one form of racing or another. I am sure we can find adherents of each form of racing who hold these types of ideas.

Most of us DO like just about all racing no matter what the type, and for most folks, it's just a matter of degree of preference. E.g., I used to street race a lot but never had any real interest in NHRA; go figure!

So don't take the NASCAR bashing on the SSForum too seriously. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool southerner and grew up on it; my dad started carrying the NASCAR races on his radio station back in 1960 and I grew up listening to it nearly every Sunday. So, I have good reasons to like NASCAR that others may not share. But, rallying is what I want to particiatpe in; one good, long rally is worth half a season's seat time at the local 0.4 mi oval track.

Mark B. :)

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have bashed NASCRAP once or twice, but I do watch it on TV because it is the best SPEC racing series around, and I like to watch any and all (even lawnmower) racing except for drag racing. What I dont like is when stock car fans and racers describe them as "the best drivers in the world", which is just utter delusional hogwash. Yes, even the worst Winston Cup driver is 200% better than I can ever dream of being, but they are starting to buy into their own propaganda.

I do like to hear those guys talk about WRC and they seem to genuinely like it but, like most of the US, they seem to not even know that we actually do that HERE too, not just in Europe.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
>What I dont like is when stock car fans and racers
>describe them as "the best drivers in the world", which is
>just utter delusional hogwash. Yes, even the worst Winston
>Cup driver is 200% better than I can ever dream of being,
>but they are starting to buy into their own propaganda.

Kinda like the kid's story about the King's new clothes, eh?? Welcome to the world of race marketing. I think that is part of what we are revolting against with SCCA's NWO. Marketing can take the best thing in the world and totally dehumainze the people involved and turn it into just one big commercial. NASCAR HAD such a strong traditional following for so long becasue those involved were human and reachable. Sadly, that is being lost to a greater and greater degree. With the big business of advertising involved more and more, the propaganda and the loss of the true personal touch with the rest of us working schmucks will be the norm.

I can see how some folks don't like it; in some ways, NASCAR is more and more the advertisement racing that most folks on this forum do not like. Just remember, it was not that way at all in the past. I can show you some great slides and tell you great stories from races at Charlotte, Bristol, Martinsville, Darlington, and Asheville-Weaverville from the 60's, that everyone involved in US sport rallying would recognize as 'real racing by real people'.

Let's hope we can avoid this fate. We won't get rich, but we'll have a great time, and have something wonderful to pass on to our children and those coming along.....like I am trying to do with my son.

Regards,
Mark B.
:)

·
600 /CR !!! R2>
450 Posts
Say what you want about NASCAR, I'm waiting for rally to make it as big so I can be a full-time co-driver. I can suck up to my sponsors with the best of 'em. Bring on the marketing!

"We were running behind on a transit, but our Peltor™ intercoms and Coralba™ tripmeter really pulled us through. The Proflex™ suspension really took a beating out there on the stage and helped us pull ahead of our competition. Our crew really came together, and thanks to Fruit of the Loom™ and Tide™, we can really look our best in our suits up there on the podium! Thanks everyone!"

--
JP Rowland jeremyrowland -at- mac.com
Co-driver, #896 Audi 4000 Quattro turbo, Open
Visit my boring web page: http://homepage.mac.com/jeremyrowland

·
Registered
378 Posts
>"We were running behind on a transit, but our Peltor?
>intercoms and Coralba? tripmeter really pulled us
>through. The Proflex? suspension really took a beating
>out there on the stage and helped us pull ahead of our
>competition. Our crew really came together, and thanks to
>Fruit of the Loom? and Tide?, we can really look
>our best in our suits up there on the podium! Thanks
>everyone!"
>
>--
>JP Rowland jeremyrowland -at- mac.com
>Co-driver, #896 Audi 4000 Quattro turbo, Open
>Visit my boring web page:
>http://homepage.mac.com/jeremyrowland

Whoa whoa who-hoah! You're telling me that #896 is sponsored by Fruit of the Loom? and Tide??!? What am I doing monkeying around under your car in my Costco-special Kirkland-brand t-shirts!?! Somebody's holding out on his knucklechunkers here ;-)

-Isaac

-Isaac

1 - 8 of 8 Posts