Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
There was a second Falcon at Targa Newfoundland. Not quite as, um, aesthetic as Mark's gorgeous version, the Sprint of C.J. Johns certainly has credentials. I know the car has done London-Sydney, I saw it at Targa Tasmania in Australia and it ran well at Targa Newfoundland. C.J. says it is a pedigree car and it has what looks like an original Holman-Moody sticker on it.

They're out there. Does anyone know of others?

·
Registered
265 Posts
http://www.vintagerally.com/targanewf/photos/c303bchycov.jpg

[EDIT: added photo.]

>There was a second Falcon at Targa Newfoundland.
>
>They're out there. Does anyone know of others?

I spoke with Lee Holman at Holman Moody about CJ's car and another he (Lee) reportedly has (in pursuit of a magazine story). Lee's car is an original '64 built for Ford of France as a practice and recce car for the Monte Carlo Rallye. Used by Graham Hill IIRC.

It (or was it another?) was later used for races primarily as test car, for instance, Bob Bondurant would practice with Falcon to learn the course, the run Cobras in the races.

Lee's father had scrapped it, and it was quite rusted so the bulk of chassis has been replaced.

If I recall our conversation, he had another '64 Falcon at his shop that belonged to someone from South America, that had been raced by Walt Hansgen, and later raced by Don Pike in the TransAm series.

What Lee really wanted to talk about was the GT-40s and all the phony GT-40s that are being raced in European Historic races as "genuine".

BTW, CJ's Falcon is pretty used up. It does have some Holman Moody parts on it, but looks like most of the work in recent years has been patches and not real repairs.

Tim Winker

1 - 5 of 5 Posts