Special Stage Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a fun rumour from Jayski.com

Rally Driver to NASCAR? UPDATE: Colin McRae is almost resigned to his career as a rally driver being cut short at the end of the season
and is contemplating a switch to motor racing. It's not looking good. There's a couple of other things I'm looking at," he said. "Not all the
doors are closed in the world championship. If I was five years younger I'd do another year just to be there, but I'm not doing it for nothing,
in terms of money or the car. I always said if I stopped rallying I'd like to try something else." He declined to comment on rumours that he
might consider taking up Nascar, North America's ultra-successful stock car formula, which races on banked ovals at speeds approaching
200mph. However, he has tried something similar, racing a less powerful car at the Rockingham Oval in the Midlands. He has also tested a
formula one car, lapping Silverstone in a Jordan two seconds slower than Martin Brundle in 1999, in only 10 laps. But his racing experience is
minimal.(much more at Guardian Unlimited)(9-5-2003)
UPDATE: Colin McRae admitted last night he is considering a move to the megabucks American stock car racing scene. The 35-year-old from
Lanark, who saw Dutchman Petter Solberg grab a last-gasp victory in Rally Australia for Subaru, will have talks with officials from NASCAR.
The 1995 world champion isn't guaranteed a top-team competitive seat in the 2004 world rally championship and he said: ``If that remains
the case I will walk away from rallying. I will not drive for one of the lesser teams. Instead I'm going to look at other forms of motorsport and
specifically Nascar.''(UK's Daily Record)(9-8-2003)

·
Registered
151 Posts
UPDATE: Colin McRae admitted
>last night he is considering a move to the megabucks
>American stock car racing scene.

Hee heee heee.... sounds like a PR stunt by NASCAR to draw a more international audience! (But will they adopt mullets & loud bowling jackets?)

>who saw Dutchman Petter
>Solberg

As a Dutch-Norwegian-American mutt, I must correct this error. Petter is definitely a Norwegian;-)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Where Nascar and rally intersect.....

Great courage and car control skills are assets that don't count for very much comapared to what else is needed to be competitve in Nascar....

#1. Marketing skills. You can't accomplish anything else unless you can help the car owner bring in money. It takes money to hire the good people in the engine shop, the good chassis builder, the guys in the body shop, team engineer, crew chief, buy wind tunnel time, pay for testing, etc. Most of these drivers spend so much time with sponsorship / marketing crap, it drives them nuts, they feel like they've sold their souls.

#2. Tire management. You're driving around in a circle in a 3,400lb, 800hp car with little, hard tires. The whole sport is all about going fast without abusing the tires. When setting up a short track car, I always used the theory that we were in a drag race around a turn. If the car won't turn, there's nothing the driver can do, no matter how good he is. Driving sideways gets you nothing but more heat in the right rear tire. The difference between a fast car and a slow one, is the feedback from the driver and the set-up skills of the engineer, driver and crew chief combined.

#3. Power. If you have a power advantage, and your car is faster at the end of a staight, you're using it wrong. Put more downforce on the car so you go faster without sliding the tires. Many team struggle with what appears to be handling problems is actually a power problem. The team has their car "trimmed out" with low downforce. How much downforce does a modern Cup car have? I noticed Matt Kenseth's #17 on pit lane before qualifying at IMS had about 5" of ground clearance under the left pipe, but when he came down the straight at speed, that pipe was dragging on the ground, trailing sparks.

I'm sure Colin is one of the all time great driving talents, but I don't think a Nascar effort will showcase his talents. There are some successful Nascar drivers who obviously (shown by their lack road course ability) don't have very good car control skills.

I think the big lure of Nascar is the money.

Mike Hurst
Mechanic/Pit crew #16 David Pearson 1983-85

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
RE: Where Nascar and rally intersect.....

it has to be the money why else would ron fellows want to win a cup race so bad or why would boris said want a fulltime ride in nascar. i think colin would end up alot like robby gordon.
greg

·
Registered
374 Posts

I agree with you Mike. Ever since the advent of radial tires into NASCAR, "drifting" gave way to "drafting".
The Silver Fox huh? He and the Woods Bros. couldn't be beat until that rookie Earnhardt came along. ;-)

Jim Wright
A fan of all kinds of motorsports and a competitor in most.

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts

Even back in the days of bias ply tires, drifitng on asphalt was not the way to win. I remember reading about Innes Ireland setting up the car for the Daytona 500. By the time he had the car where it was comfortable to drive, Mario came over and explained to him that the tires wouldn't last 12 laps that way. And that way was loose and driftable.
Richard

·
Slid'n around 'n havin a ball
2,953 Posts
RE: pull?

Colin already has money, the prestige of being the best of the best is what he's after and right now F1 is eclipsed by NASCAR, sorry.
rz

·
Administrator Emeritus
1,253 Posts

Marketing? Colin has proven to be very good at this. Just look at his video games for one example.

I would think a top rally driver would bring a lot of attention to NASCAR around the world. Even more than they have now. It can only be good for them.

Regardless, I don't see it happening. *crosses fingers*

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts

On Rallyfroum.com Pentti Arrikala, ex WRC and British Champion poited out that a fellow who cmplains about the commitment needed to do F1 is too much with 14 dates a year then how would he cope with 38 dates?
His opinion: "he wouldn't last more than 1 weekend..."
I can't imagine somebody with his cockiness functioning too well in an area where he was not given deference and acknowledgement, and I don't think he'd be getting a lot of that.
Pure skills, we know that he has well more than enough.
Inter-personal skills........
Hmmmmmm working class Scotland makes good to cracker barrel South where I've seen guys get cocky just cause they hand tires to people?
Revolution again to thje mother country??

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Black Rocket Rally Tires
http://www.blackrockettires.com/

·
Registered
44 Posts
the latest I have seen on this is that colin is saying he will be in a competitive drive next season in the wrc; even if it means securing sponsership and buying a ride.
maybe he could come over and run the scca series. and buffum could come back out of retirement. that would be something....

·
Lost....We're not lost
419 Posts
I found this article in an Aussie newspaper....

McRae vows to carry on
From correspondents in London
11sep03
FORMER world rally champion Colin McRae said today he has no intention of quitting at the end of this season.
The Scotsman faces a battle to hang on to his drive with Citroen after the French manufacturer signed Sebastien Loeb for 2004, leaving McRae and fellow former champion Carlos Sainz vying for the second full-time drive.
He even said he will find sponsorship to buy a drive with one of the top four teams if necessary.
"I have still got some unfinished business here," McRae told Autosport magazine.
"If I don't stay with Citroen then there are lots of options for me to look at."
Citroen boss Guy Frequelin said he faces an agonizing decision over his second driver.
"For my heart the decision between Colin and Carlos is very difficult," he said.
"They're both fabulous drivers who should be in the sport, but we only have room for one."
The dilemma over third drivers was created on Tuesday when the governing body, the FIA, decided that from next season each manufacturer will be limited to just two cars each.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
In the days of bias-ply tires, some people were modestly successful with drifting techniques. Like Juan Manuel Fangio for instance.

I don't see why after some practice McRae couldn't compete in NASCAR - the response to certain stimuli is the common and important factor. The actual knowledge is just details - like rallying on tarmac vs. gravel is nominally different but essentially the same. He's good at marketing, actually (compare to any of the Finns, or Burns, or the NASCAR guys who take swings at their team manager after the event). And cultural fit? "No bullsh*t Scotsman gearhead of few words but lots of crashes" is one of the closest to "southern dirttrack good old boy" that I can imagine. I think they'd all get on famously.

That said, no way will it happen.

ACP
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
Registered
240 Posts
McRae isn't my favorit driver he has some stuff to get together between his ears but I wouldent wish nascar on anyone. In the UK they even call it ASCAR or (asscar). I hope he gets his sponsorship and head together because when he is there he is there. One of my favorit moments in rally was Sanramo 2000 I don't even remember who he was fighting with but going into the last stage they were still pretty much tied and coming out it was a walk away like Makinen did to Sainz in Portugal 2001. I would love to see more of that instead of Burns just taking points.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well dont belive he is out of rallying, he says he want to stay and at almost any cost to the point of self funding a drive for a year. Well the smart money is on Ford to shift Duval out of the seat and put McRae in, if they are serius about the WRC they need to do it as Duval is not reaching the promise he initially showed and Colin would be a competative runner who could score points on a regular basis.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts