Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
Andy Shupack did it when he was our media guy.
But that has been a while.

press on,

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
Call Steve Johnson, SCCA Prez, and ask him. When he says the last rally demos were done more than 5 or 6 years ago, ask him why. Since we don't get demos, ask him what we do get for our membership dues (besides a crappy magazine.)

Say what you want about Kurt Spitzner, but the SCCA expected him to raise big bucks without even giving him current demos. That's like going deer hunting without any bullets.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

·
Four tree two remember Andrew
1,633 Posts
The Motorsports Industry Association did a comprehensive report on US Motorsports in 2002, including "rally and off-road". I hate to say that we are a very small sector of the overall market.

The report can be ordered at http://www.motorsportresearch.com (and it ain't free). If I had a copy, I would send you it.

Here are some tidbits from the report I got from a site which I can't remember (I don't know how accurate the $$ numbers are, $750M seems like a lot, but I guess with all the lifted trucks around, it may be an accurate figure). Lump us in, you'll do a better job selling. ;)

(1) Offroad and Rally Racing represents 4.5% of $16.45 Billion in retail sales in the motorsports industry annually.*

(2) Offroad and Rally Racing represent a competitor base of over 5000 competitors in the U.S.

*These figures were prepared by Motorsport Research Associates for the British auto racing trade group, Motorsport Industry Association

Regards,

Wilson

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
>Call Steve Johnson, SCCA Prez, and ask him. When he says
>the last rally demos were done more than 5 or 6 years ago,
>ask him why. Since we don't get demos, ask him what we do
>get for our membership dues (besides a crappy magazine.)
>
>Say what you want about Kurt Spitzner, but the SCCA expected
>him to raise big bucks without even giving him current
>demos. That's like going deer hunting without any bullets.
>
>Dennis Martin
>[email protected]
>920-432-4845

Dennis

Don't forget. Da best rally drivers always fill der tags in October at da POR. Diggins and Gingras sure know what to do when a nice buck comes on stage.

Sorry, you mentioned deer. I couldn't help myself.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The rally dept once had media kits you could use for presenting packages to sponsors. It included letterhead a CD-ROM and nicely prepared tri-fold folder.

They did have demo's in there but I can't remember what...

·
Registered
789 Posts
>(2) Offroad and Rally Racing represent a competitor base of
>over 5000 competitors in the U.S.

Wow...5000 competitors. I wonder if that includes motorcyclists?

If that is a true figure, one can see that with less than several hundred licensed competitors in club and pro rally a demographics study may not be of much help in a sponsorship quest.

·
1,633 Posts
>
>>(2) Offroad and Rally Racing represent a competitor base of
>>over 5000 competitors in the U.S.
>
>
>Wow...5000 competitors. I wonder if that includes
>motorcyclists?
>
>If that is a true figure, one can see that with less than
>several hundred licensed competitors in club and pro rally a
>demographics study may not be of much help in a sponsorship
>quest.

Don't forget SCORE US, Best in the Desert, etc. There are at least 10 off road events in the Southwest/California/Mexico area, plus that stuff that goes on up in Michigan or Wisconsin or one of those states up there that is televised and is also an "off-road" series. I guess that is where the majority of that figure comes from.

·
your other left, you idiot
3,909 Posts
But your pitch and your audience is to much more than JUST the competitors. How many visual impressions do you get AT the event, in print and TV and web AFTER the event? Trailering to and from? Local car shows, etc?

You really want the demographics of your whole target market.

>If that is a true figure, one can see that with less than
>several hundred licensed competitors in club and pro rally a
>demographics study may not be of much help in a sponsorship
>quest.

press on,

·
Registered
789 Posts
>But your pitch and your audience is to much more than JUST
>the competitors. How many visual impressions do you get AT
>the event, in print and TV and web AFTER the event?
>Trailering to and from? Local car shows, etc?
>
>You really want the demographics of your whole target
>market.
>
>>If that is a true figure, one can see that with less than
>>several hundred licensed competitors in club and pro rally a
>>demographics study may not be of much help in a sponsorship
>>quest.
>
>press on,

·
1,633 Posts
>That report was garbage.
>
>In my opinion, of course.
>
>Certainly not "comprehensive."

Didn't see it so just went off the "sales" materials from the website. I'm glad we've got someone who read it before other folks spent the dough on it.

However, I would note that in the "lies, damn lies, and statistics" area, it might be better to have something to quote for claimed figures than nothing at all.

·
Big Jump 800
716 Posts
The last one I saw claimed to be current (which is more than I can say of some demographic data I have received). It was helpful in a general way, as you say to sell ads in the newsletter. I can't recall anything specific to Performance Rally.

Do you know how one can get a copy of the report?

J.B. Niday
www.nidayrallysport.com

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
I think it is still on my computer at home. Will send it to you when I leave work here. It was dated late in 2003 if I remember.
Richard
ETA, it does mention that only about 6% of SCCA is interested in rallying.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts