Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Geez,
Just looked at the schedule and maps and realized how much transit milage (kilometerage?) is involved. It makes for a easy central service area but......

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Geez,
> Just looked at the schedule and maps and realized how much
>transit milage (kilometerage?) is involved. It makes for a
>easy central service area but......

But that's the WRC way - it comes down to being careful what you ask for...

Quebec has usually been pretty spread out, at least the times I've been there.

Adrian

·
Faster Mabricator
3,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
>Quebec has usually been pretty spread out, at least the
>times I've been there.

The difference is now we return to Quebec City each time for service and then transit back to stages instead of having the service areas located near the stages. 1050Km in 2 days vs. 1300Km in 3 days at Charlevoix.
I'm guessing there will be optional fuel stops near the stages so someone from the service crew still has to go out there.
Just a lot of driving, that's all. Glad I'm not buying the race gas.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I checked it out also.... and they'll have to designate some optional refuelling areas... I'm surprised that they went to one designated service area (good for us service crews) but bad the teams since it adds lots of transit kms and time... especially when it's near/over 100kms each way....

Robin

·
Registered
339 Posts
Yep.

Hurray for the FIA!

As an Open class competitor that get's really bad gas mileage I salute the center service location. What other reason would the teams have for buying an addtional 50 gallons at $6/US per..... I have nothing else better to do with the cash.

I hope the rally runs well and everyone has fun. I miss not seeing all of the CARS friends I have. However, there are no FIA events in my future.

Brian

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
>Simple analogy:
>
>Sweden: 400km stage & 2000km transit => 20%
>
>Quebec: 200km stage & 1000km transit => 20%

Inte als så enkelt
Pas d' toute simple

Done Rally Quebec and spectated Swedish WRC and lived there and passed thru the area a fair amount on the way here or there when racing and I should say:

The comparisons are not at all simple. Rallye de Quebec transists accross very densly populated areas with ample opportunities all over the place to site service points.
Swedish rally take place in some fairly sparsly populated parts of the country,with lots of long long narrow valleys with small narrow towns, and with sometimes 3 times the entries with accociated service vehicles and really lots of speccies. Finding suitably large service locations, or even parking areas for speccies is really difficult.

When I did Rallye de Quebec I thought the ratio was poor when we had to transit 45km for a 2.1 km stage twice OK? 45 out, 45 back, then again 45 out then 45 back. 180km for a piddly little unremarkable stage.

Other than that sort of thing I thought the event a well organised and fun (aside from the glare ice on every stage but 3).

John Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Registered
4 Posts
The analogy was to point out that, with the new FIA regulations, the single service location will add a lot transit distance to the event.

Typically the WRC events run in the same area during one day, thus the service is usually located near the activities for that day. The FIA wants to reduce the movements of the WRC service crews, as they have come relatively big and hard to move. True it is not the same situation here(yet I hope!, in terms of numbers). The location of the service could of been more centralized, as regards to the stages.

One of the problems with this single service location is that usually the spectator stages are far from the long "real" stages of the rally(forest roads). Therefore we will have to face the fact that the percentage of the stage roads will stay relatively low, with the bigger events. It would be nice to see it rise close to 25 or 30%, but...we will see!

Steve

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
We may be one generation behind in this eveolution:

From the January 29 issue of Motorsport News:

"Subaru's David Lapworth is a keen advocate of roaming service areas, which would allow events to run over a wider spread of stages..." Elsewhere, Jean-Pierre Nicholas (Peugeot) is said to be a keen supporter of proposed satellite service areas akin to fuel stops where servicing would be permitted but perhaps not major component changes.

PS In the Feb. 5 issue David Richards is quoted as saying that there may be room in the calendar for more snow milage, with a possibility of a rally in "Norway, Russia, or Canada." Apparently at the Monte he met with Norwegian rally organizers...

ACP
www.musketeerracing.com
Flirting with the laws of physics.

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Russia would be a blast!

However, now they are talking about possibly running two winter events a week apart which seems to let everyone except Norway out of the running. I guess they want to get rallying out of the prime (read Formula 1) season... (or am I being too cynical ;-)).

Adrian

1 - 12 of 12 Posts