Special Stage Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got around to opening up and reading that rag that the beloved SCCA prints each month. Is it just me or is anyone else disgusted by the lack of print that Rally continually recieves (or doesn't recieve), we got like 3/4 of a page for the coverage of a Pro event. I just read some posts about promotion and excitement and who's responsibility it is to create this. Maybe it should start with the organization, just my oppinion. I would like to know what other people think.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Hey Todd,
I agree fully. If I wanted a magazine with only sporty cars in it, I would subscribe to Grass roots motorsport or something similar.
I wish we could skip the magazine and get $20 or so off of the SCCA menbership. More dirt stuff of any kind would be nice (rally, offroad,etc. etc...)

Bob Campbell
[email protected]
BCR Rallysport
Colorado Springs, CO

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
funny thing is GRM and SCC have more rally in them than sportscar does.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I totally agree, maybe they should hire those people that are promoting the Solo events, they have more coverage running pillons than our pro-rally or club-rally events. If SCCA can not event promote our own sport in our magazine, how can we support our own...
I totally agree if we can waive this subscription for a discount on our membership or license. and get SportsCarCompact instead, they promote Rally!
Keep posting and maybe, just maybe somebody in the scca board might read it and feel for us!

Tony Dela Cuesta
Team DC Autosport

·
don't cut
2,252 Posts
The fact of the matter is that rally folk only make up something like 11% of the club. Thus we are only gonna get about that much coverage in SportsCar. If you look at it that way, the SCCA has probably been a bit generous to the rally program. The CRNC always gets a multipage article, and they have a few other rally features throughout the year as well, along with a monthly column by Ed Jacobs, and half page write ups for news such as Pikes peak.

Is that enough for people like you and me? Hell no! But if you go to a road race or autocrass, besides being bored to death you'll find out that most of those guys don't give a damn about rally and would instead like to pontificate on the subleties of squishing cones at 30mph with Miatas.

I too wish I could drop the SportsCar mag from my membership and save $20,which I would then use to subrscribe to Rally World, Rally XS, or even Sport Compact Car, which has more coverage of SCCA rally than SportsCar does.

Dennis Martin
[email protected]
920-432-4845

Ps. For a real hoot, read Randy Pobst's commentary on crashes. "If you spin, both feet in." Pussies!

·
Big Jump 800
716 Posts
SportsCar is a club magazine, not a rally magazine and Performance Rally is only about 15% of the membership while ClubRacing and Solo are the vast majority of the membership... so we really should't expect more than 15% of the magazine... HOWEVER we DO get feature articles from time to time (twice per year would be over 16% of the issues).

I'm sure the ClubRacing and Solo guys cuss about the amount of print us rally guys are getting.

The new editorial staff seems to be including more general information articles (tires, brakes, harnesses) most of which is at least somewhat applicable to us.

I did notice a LOT of Rally names in the 25 year anniversary list, from the famous (Rod Millen) to the near famous (Mad Mike Halley) to my Minnesota friends (Kerry & Karen Freund, Mark Larson, Bob Nielson...).

J.B. Niday
www.nidayrallysport.com

·
Registered
901 Posts
Speaking of Millen and roads in Colorado---

Did anyone else notice anything missing from the Pike's Peak ad on page 45? And before anyone tells me it's a Falken ad, check the advertisers index.

Sorry, JB, someone else started this thread.

Hey guys, guess what: neither the performance rally department or the performance rally board get any say in how performance rally is promoted (or not promoted) by SCCA! Guess who does? The marketing department! Guess how much they care about performance rally?

As Steve Johnson told me, the rest of the club carries the performance rally program. Why should there be anything in the supposedly official publication of the secret - oops, I mean Sport - car club of America about rally? We're just a burden, anyway! :)

And he told me that no one at SCCA actually proof reads any of the ads that go the "offical publication of the SCCA".

I ain't lyin', I got it in print.

·
straight at T
647 Posts
by Sportscar magazine for writing Divisional PRO Rally reports (what they call "ClubRally" now for all of you newbies.) That's right, not only did they print articles (and complete results) reporting on every National ProRally during the year but also Divisional reports as well, if someone wrote something up and sent it in. Imagine how ticked off we all were when we lost all that. We used to get 2 or 3, sometimes more pages every month for rally. Now what do we get, one page and results only?

Rally may only be a small percentage of SCCA but it's still supposed to be a club and last I checked our dues are the same amount as everyone else, individually, if not collectively. The "club" magazine should cover our sport even if they don't like us. They sure seem to like our money, though.
A couple of pages each month would not be out of proportion for us. I know Solo is popular but do they really need 27 pages telling us who they think will win the Cone Squasher Nationals? Sheesh! Just wait a month and they'll take 57 pages to tell us who did win in each and every one of the 147 different classes (plus ladies division for each!)

-DC

·
Registered
967 Posts
>they'll take 57 pages to tell us who did win in each and
>every one of the 147 different classes (plus ladies division
>for each!)

Easy Dave, they need that in-depth coverage because they actually may have two or three cars running in some of those classes.

Another former SC rally contributor,
Jim Culp

·
Registered
22 Posts
>Don't forget Driving Sports that has gone even more niche
>and rally specific....
I believe that this magazine has already met an early death. I sent in my money a while back and never heard from them. Placed a call to them and was told that the reason they never did anything with my money was the magazine had been canceled due to a lack of sales. Did they offer me a subscription to SubieSports, which they say will cover rallying.

from the right seat
dam3816
dave mulder

·
straight at T
2,472 Posts
>Ps. For a real hoot, read Randy Pobst's commentary on
>crashes. "If you spin, both feet in." Pussies!

However, he did try to drive the Quattro through the runnoff at Mosport's Turn 2 last weekend. The tire wall still caught him, but he was trying... Of course, if you try to enter Turn 2 three wide, you can expect to be in the tires...

Adrian

·
Registered
408 Posts
back in the early '90's I got paid by Sportscar magazine for writing Divisional PRO Rally reports

They once paid me to use one of my pictures from STPR, 1999. The check bounced.

·
eating dust taking photos
3,740 Posts
Damn,

You're probably right, I was just hoping that wasn't true. But I don't think they have ever taken my money for my subscription either.

I was just hoping that the writingwould be more to my liking then RallyWorld. Nothing against RallyWorld but I just didn't like the pacing and style structure and it didn't have that easy to read feel to it.....

Edit: checked their website, they are done. I do feel a little cheated as I didn't subscribe until Ryan had announced here the reformat to rally coverage, but atleast I am not stuck getting some useless Subie/quattro rag for my money either.....

I guess its time to every couple of issues look at RallyWorld again.

·
don't cut
4,075 Posts
>They once paid me to use one of my pictures from STPR, 1999.
> The check bounced.
Check was from publishing company, not SCCA. Different publisher now. (My check didn't bounce:+ )
Richard

·
400 flat to crest
5,777 Posts
Yeah Dave, they paid but the sleazy weasels would edit all the juicy bits out that made the coverage more interesting.
Dave would make sure that every class and every seed got some mention.

Sometimes the edits were silly, just a nickname (an attempt at some color commentary) gone from the final version.
I know cause Dave would FAX the reports in from my FAX and we would have fun final drafting nad giggling about some of the flourishes.

Even then we thought the ratio was wacky.
Now, forget it.

John "The Flying Flem" Vanlandingham
Seattle, WA. 98168

Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

·
Registered
352 Posts
Yes, we have stopped printed Driving Sports as was posted in this thread. And, as was mentioned, in its wake we're launching a Subaru-specific title this fall that will carry most of the same rally coverage.

http://www.subiesport.com

I'm not going to get into too much of the nitty gritty, but Driving Sports just couln't proceed as a viable enterprise. Something had to change. SUBIESPORT, on the other hand, has already trumped Driving Sports (by a significant margin) in both subscriptions and advertisers. So it seems our decision was the right one.

It's been posted at drivingsports.com for weeks, but current subscribers will automatically receive X issues of all our new titles (we're planning three in the next year, similar in direction to SUBIESPORT) in lieu of finishing out their their subscription to Driving Sports. X being the number of issues remaining on your current subscription. If you're flat-out against this, I can also issue refunds. Though I would suggest at least waiting for issue number 1 to arrive before making the decision. Our rally coverage will continue to contain more than just Subarus.

On a more personal note, I still think Rally World has a long way to go before I'll spend $7 for a copy at B&N.

Cheers,

Ryan Douthit
Midnight Cafe Media
http://www.midnightcafe.com

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
>
>On a more personal note, I still think Rally World has a
>long way to go before I'll spend $7 for a copy at B&N.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Ryan Douthit
>Midnight Cafe Media
>http://www.midnightcafe.com

Ryan, have you seen a recent issue, because last time you made a comment like that you had not seen the magazine since the first issue? It has improved tenfold (though still not perfect but that will take time and money to achieve)

In regards to Subbiesport, I look forward to seeing it and I wish you success. Please use a better paper stock and better printing than you did on Driving Sports, that magazine felt like a newspaper rag IMO

1 - 20 of 27 Posts